Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long ago does something have to have happened before you can be nostalgic about it? On my way home from Linby's place today I saw a blue XL125V Varadero turn onto the road I was about to turn off of. I looked at the number plate and realised it was my first bike. I followed him up the road and pulled up next to him. I asked him what he thought to the bike and he seemed a little worried and just said "why?". I replied "cos that's my old bike". He seemed a little less scared at this point and started chatting about how he just uses it as cheap transport every day. The bike was in a much better condition than I left it in (seeing a pattern yet?) and it turns out that it went from the dealers in Nottingham to one in Mansfield Woodhouse near where I live. He paid £2,000 for it. I think I got £1,300 part-ex on my first Hornet for it. Grrr

Still, good to see the little v-twin again. I never tire of saying that... a v-twin 125 :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Won't see my first bike (CB250K3)... :rollin

Wrapped it around a lamp-post :thumbdown
(Plastic tyres, damp conditions and while lines don't mix very well going around a bend.)

Malc'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Nor mine (CB250k2) sold it to the main dealers as i remember thy were buying the bikes for more than thy were worth as in the early seventies there was a shortage of parts think it was to do with the sues canal, mine new was £275 sold it for £315 not bad eh, I wanted a gold one there was none in the country had to have a burgundy one,as i remember thy had nylon tyers not very good in the wet and never wore out :rollin and yes i am really that old 52 last Sunday
:hello
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This guy with my old bike had a CB400 Super Dream in his garage. Wasn't in the best condition and the MOT had recently expired
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Nostalgia. Alternatively rendered: 'A wistful desire'.

You have a melancholic, yearning, craving for a 125.

Are you this guy?

http://dlisted.com/node/26131
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Alan... I had a 71 K2 250.. a gold one... AVA 104J that was ma first bike... bought it in 75 fur £120... sold it 6 months later crashed.. all the left side got it... fur £100. ave been lookin fur another one fur the last couple o years jist fur the heck o it, if ye hear any let me know... [email protected] cheers mabozzar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I too had a Honda CB250K2 back in '74, nice gold one.
Sold it for the latest CB250G5, i saw it in a dealers shop, disc brake and upswept pipes.
I thought this looked fantastic so had to have one.
The power was absolutely shite, i think the local milkmans float was faster.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,486 Posts
It was probably the hair that slowed you up.... reminded me of the way I used to look, Must try not to get too self opinionated about the yoof of today, (we could have done with a hoodie back in those days!), Happy memories,, took the baffles out of my "fizzy", lost 10 mph but it just sounded soooo much faster!! :beer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
As i remember the dark green colour ones were the 350 model. :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
I had all these, with the X7 being on L plates! The first 100mph 250, amazing where all still alive really

And before that I had the other 2. The Beta moped was bloody awful, it siezed 4 times, the back light blew 9 (nine) times and the back wheel collapsed! Brilliant.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
You have started me off down memory lane now!!!
Had my first Japanese bike in around 1973 (Honda CB500 Four) and what a sweetie.
Then a new Z1a in 1974, it felt ooooh soooo powerful (80bhp :rollin ),
then in 1996 had a new green Z900, beautiful looking but like the Z1a, did not like corners or wanting to stop quickly :lol
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
wotonblur said:
I too had a Honda CB250K2 back in '74, nice gold one.
Sold it for the latest CB250G5, i saw it in a dealers shop, disc brake and upswept pipes.
I thought this looked fantastic so had to have one.
The power was absolutely shite, i think the local milkmans float was faster.

Wow!! thats bring back memories when i had hair! shame im a baldy now (not by choice) , mind you, your heads dry by the time you step out of the shower!!
:taunt2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
Sadly I'll never see my first decent bike again, a Suzuki GT380, RYH279R. It got nicked back in the 70s and only bits were ever seen again!

Those Suzuki triples were so underpowered and bad handling compared to bikes now, but so much fun - I'd love to get hold of a 550 for sunny days!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,594 Posts
bilemissile said:
Sadly I'll never see my first decent bike again, a Suzuki GT380, RYH279R. It got nicked back in the 70s and only bits were ever seen again!

Those Suzuki triples were so underpowered and bad handling compared to bikes now, but so much fun - I'd love to get hold of a 550 for sunny days!
A sunny day dream on m8 :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
bilemissile said:
Sadly I'll never see my first decent bike again, a Suzuki GT380, RYH279R. It got nicked back in the 70s and only bits were ever seen again!

Those Suzuki triples were so underpowered and bad handling compared to bikes now, but so much fun - I'd love to get hold of a 550 for sunny days!
Totally agree with you mate, I had a red GT380 then a black GT550, loved every minute of them, loved the fact they had a gear indicator too :yay Was quite sad to replace them with a 4-stroke and am yearning to get hold of another. Local shop has got a GT750 in its showroom but the bloke won't sell it yet, fantastic condition just needs fork seals sorting. :thumbup Got me going now :lick think I might have to go and lie down :beer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
Rabbit said:
You have started me off down memory lane now!!!
Had my first Japanese bike in around 1973 (Honda CB500 Four) and what a sweetie.
Then a new Z1a in 1974, it felt ooooh soooo powerful (80bhp :rollin ),
then in 1996 had a new green Z900, beautiful looking but like the Z1a, did not like corners or wanting to stop quickly :lol
Now the Z1 & Z900's now you're talking. Never had one but always yearned for one. Guy had one at Boxhill the other week...........
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Blow said:
Rabbit said:
You have started me off down memory lane now!!!
Had my first Japanese bike in around 1973 (Honda CB500 Four) and what a sweetie.
Then a new Z1a in 1974, it felt ooooh soooo powerful (80bhp :rollin ),
then in 1996 had a new green Z900, beautiful looking but like the Z1a, did not like corners or wanting to stop quickly :lol
Now the Z1 & Z900's now you're talking. Never had one but always yearned for one. Guy had one at Boxhill the other week...........
Yes Blow, they were fantastic, quite a few around now at silly prices, but most are American imports as is the one you saw at Boxhill.
This is where I put my anorack on, the US versions have reflectors on front/rear suspension, short rear mudguards and no passenger handle across the middle of the seat.

But in all honesty, the CB500 Four was brilliant, quite lively and very chuckable for the year, CB1K brings back those memories by the bucketful :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Buzzwagon, I had the 125 version of the beta when I was seventeen ,all the same problems + that toolbag on the tank was a real ball breaker when riding off road.Where did you find the picture, many happy memories of riding on the brecon beacons and merthyr mountains!!!
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top