Honda CB1000R Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi y'all,

I currently have 2 Honda CBR1000RR. I'm planning to sell my older one next year and get another bike that will allow me to ride long distances. As such, I'm seeking recommendations from you folks who are more experienced than me. So, here are the requirements:
  1. comfortable for longer distance: seat, little or no vibrations, seating position, handle-bar position, etc.
  2. larger gas tank (so, I don't need to keep stopping for gas)
  3. engine size: must be larger than or equal 750cc; preferably, 1000cc. Need to be able to pass an RV at will and with ease at highway speed.
  4. engine type: 4 cylinders, V-Twin, whatever
  5. seat height : nothing above 32.5"
  6. curb weight: I need to be able to pick it up alone in remote areas if it drops (so, nothing above 550 lbs)
  7. Some well designed wind management windshield/visor in the front
  8. good modern TFT displays
  9. price range: up to $15K
  10. New old stock
  11. reliable and does not need me to keep babying it (prefer Japanese brands)
  12. reasonably good MPG : good fuel efficiency
Do you think the current 2021/2020 CB1000R will do well with longer distance riding?
I'm intending to install a decent windshield so I don't feel beaten down by hours of wind buffeting at freeway speeds.
R1200/1250RT hands down you will notfind a better bike to fulfill your requirements.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000R; 2018 CBR1000RR SP
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
R1200/1250RT hands down you will notfind a better bike to fulfill your requirements.
Yes, I have looked really hard at this model and for more than 7 times, it has come in and out of my short list.
The few things that are holding me back from this bike are these:
  • quite pricey, if I get the R1250GSA will cost me above $25K
  • the weight is horrendously a killer. I am not too sure if I can pick it up in a dirt road riding in BDR routes
  • seat height: I have to pay more to get the low seat height option.

If I were taller; perhaps, 5 9' and above, I'd not think twice about getting this bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I have looked really hard at this model and for more than 7 times, it has come in and out of my short list.
The few things that are holding me back from this bike are these:
  • quite pricey, if I get the R1250GSA will cost me above $25K
  • the weight is horrendously a killer. I am not too sure if I can pick it up in a dirt road riding in BDR routes
  • seat height: I have to pay more to get the low seat height option.

If I were taller; perhaps, 5 9' and above, I'd not think twice about getting this bike.
You can look for a good low mileage model and cut the price substantially. If you are going to ride a GS in anything even approaching technical off road riding you’ve got way more balls than I! I’d suggest settling for the RT and forgetting the off road. Buy a 125 - 250cc bike for that. Install crash guards on the RT and you should be able to lift it should you tip it over. Most times another rider or even passerby is ready to assist. I’d suggest a test ride. I think that would settle it for you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You can look for a good low mileage model and cut the price substantially. If you are going to ride a GS in anything even approaching technical off road riding you’ve got way more balls than I! I’d suggest settling for the RT and forgetting the off road. Buy a 125 - 250cc bike for that. Install crash guards on the RT and you should be able to lift it should you tip it over. Most times another rider or even passerby is ready to assist. I’d suggest a test ride. I think that would settle it for you. Best of luck!
If it's only for road use, I already bought a Kawa Ninja 1000SX and it fits the bill for longer distance tarmac travel.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,712 Posts
I already bought a Kawa Ninja 1000SX and it fits the bill for longer distance tarmac travel.
great choice. quite popular for "sport" touring, in these parts...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
great choice. quite popular for "sport" touring, in these parts...
The Black Edition CB1000R is still mouth-watering whenever I looked at it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts