Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000R; 2018 CBR1000RR SP
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi y'all,

I currently have 2 Honda CBR1000RR. I'm planning to sell my older one next year and get another bike that will allow me to ride long distances. As such, I'm seeking recommendations from you folks who are more experienced than me. So, here are the requirements:
  1. comfortable for longer distance: seat, little or no vibrations, seating position, handle-bar position, etc.
  2. larger gas tank (so, I don't need to keep stopping for gas)
  3. engine size: must be larger than or equal 750cc; preferably, 1000cc. Need to be able to pass an RV at will and with ease at highway speed.
  4. engine type: 4 cylinders, V-Twin, whatever
  5. seat height : nothing above 32.5"
  6. curb weight: I need to be able to pick it up alone in remote areas if it drops (so, nothing above 550 lbs)
  7. Some well designed wind management windshield/visor in the front
  8. good modern TFT displays
  9. price range: up to $15K
  10. New old stock
  11. reliable and does not need me to keep babying it (prefer Japanese brands)
  12. reasonably good MPG : good fuel efficiency
Do you think the current 2021/2020 CB1000R will do well with longer distance riding?
I'm intending to install a decent windshield so I don't feel beaten down by hours of wind buffeting at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R ABS BLACK EDITION
109 Posts
You should definitely get the 2021 CB1000R. I was at the same cross roads deciding on what to get. Harley, Ducati, Kawasaki, Triumph were my other choices and I went with a CB1000R. Good luck deciding your next ride (y)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should definitely get the 2021 CB1000R. I was at the same cross roads deciding on what to get. Harley, Ducati, Kawasaki, Triumph were my other choices and I went with a CB1000R. Good luck deciding your next ride (y)
Thanks for the input.

What windshield are you planning to install?

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R ABS BLACK EDITION
109 Posts
Thanks for the input.

What windshield are you planning to install?
I haven't decided on it yet . I just picked up a SC Project exhaust today . I should get it within the next 2 weeks or less - The model I picked up wasn't available on their US website, so I had to get one from their main site in Europe. I posted it in my thread here - Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi y'all,

I currently have 2 Honda CBR1000RR. I'm planning to sell my older one next year and get another bike that will allow me to ride long distances. As such, I'm seeking recommendations from you folks who are more experienced than me. So, here are the requirements:
  1. comfortable for longer distance: seat, little or no vibrations, seating position, handle-bar position, etc.
  2. larger gas tank (so, I don't need to keep stopping for gas)
  3. engine size: must be larger than or equal 750cc; preferably, 1000cc. Need to be able to pass an RV at will and with ease at highway speed.
  4. engine type: 4 cylinders, V-Twin, whatever
  5. seat height : nothing above 32.5"
  6. curb weight: I need to be able to pick it up alone in remote areas if it drops (so, nothing above 550 lbs)
  7. Some well designed wind management windshield/visor in the front
  8. good modern TFT displays
  9. price range: up to $15K
  10. New old stock
  11. reliable and does not need me to keep babying it (prefer Japanese brands)
  12. reasonably good MPG : good fuel efficiency
Do you think the current 2021/2020 CB1000R will do well with longer distance riding?
I'm intending to install a decent windshield so I don't feel beaten down by hours of wind buffeting at freeway speeds.
bmw s1000r great bike

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,712 Posts
I'll toot the horn for an earlier generation 2008-2017 CB1000R. the motor makes less peak power, but in the 'real world' there is better mid-range. grunt at lower revs = better passing power in tight traffic. ask BigOne or GhostRider. they've had them both ( in the latter case, all!) seat comfort is a red herring. if you ride a bunch, you get road fit. If you don't, NOTHING is comfy after a few hours. the MRA screen cuts the windblast just fine, and looks OK. I put well over 100,000 kms on my 2012 before writing it off by hitting a deer... so I bought a 2013. a GREAT sport touring machine, with a few choice mods...

(PS the Kawasaki that Vampire suggest is a hell of a sport touring bike too. fast... comfy... maybe not such great looks... but I've had several friends with them, and they loved them. dependable too...)

( PPS - the display on that gen CB1000R is pretty poor...)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Haha. Yes on road fitness of the ass.

Also yes on more low-end punch from gen 1. I had great fun on the track embarrassing much faster bikes on the slower sections.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Yeah all great points, but this cat wants a new bike, not used. Good luck finding a nos last gen. in 2021.

How available are the Neos, anyways? Is there any old stock? Motorcycle dealers all over are facing shortages these days. The local dealers here just have crap left over that nobody wants and I can't find a dealer with the bike I'm hunting without driving 600+ miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you’re looking for longer distances, I’m finding I only get about 45mpg from my 2019, so it’s only about 120miles until the reserve comes on. Its getting quite annoying.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you’re looking for longer distances, I’m finding I only get about 45mpg from my 2019, so it’s only about 120miles until the reserve comes on. Its getting quite annoying.
Yup, that's one the Cons of this bike for longer distances. I agree.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You still have about 30 miles to empty.

When I ride with more relaxed friends, it's easy to get well over 170 miles from a full tank. I think I posted somewhere here that I got over 190 miles one time.

I've also managed about 25mpg at Laguna Seca 🤣

But my normal is to hit reserve between 120 and 130 miles, so I plan to run out of fuel 30 miles after that.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
698 Posts
That's what 1,000cc of NEO-SPORTS CAFÉ gets you with a 4.3 gallon fuel tank. Surprised? If you're getting 45mpg that's a range of 193.5 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fair one… my last bike was a pan with a 28l tank! I guess it never crossed my mind when I got the CB, I assumed it was as big as it looks. Also, that is 45miles per Imperial gallon (4.55l)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts