Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CB1000R // SC80 // Silver
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks

Wanted to change the mirrors on my CB1000R (sc80) to bar end ones.
Turns out: It’s not that easy! If you leave the OEM vibration damper in and use an aftermarket bar end, it will spin 360* since the damper is rubber mounted. (I tried it. It’s bad!) and when you try aftermarket (let’s call em) „Ankers“, you have to find EXACTLY the pieces that extend outward enough to not interfere with the grips and the gas.

In order to prevent spinny mirrors, I ripped all the OEM stuff out and put in new Ankers, ends, and installed the mirrors over it (Highsider bar ends, motogadget mo.view bar end mirrors). Great visibility! But now the buzz in the handle bar is SO BAD that my mirrors shake to a degree that I can‘t see jack poop behind me! (City traffic kinda okay, highway speeds … tis just a blur! I have to pull the clutch to calm the bike down enough to see.)

I did a bit of testing and research. OEM inserts weigh 180g per side (end 108, damper 72). With my aftermarket solution, I MATCH THAT WEIGHT. But still it feels like holding a bee hive.

What I‘ve tried:
Keep in mind, with the fallowing various set-ups and testing, I did everything to the engine that sends a good buzz through the entire bike – including holding it at 5.5k rev, intense engine braking, and heavy flirting.

LEFT: OEM end and insert – RIGHT: no end and OEM insert = No noticeable change in buzz
LEFT: Highsider End and OEM insert – RIGHT: no end and OEM insert = No noticeable change in buzz
LEFT: Highsider End, mo.view end-mirror, OEM insert – RIGHT: NO end, NO insert, NOTHING = No noticeable change in buzz.

For me, this seemed like WE‘RE GOOD for installing above named aftermarket solution. So why is it NOW buzzing worse than with any other set-up before? Hands are numb, visibility is crap and it steers like a drunken squirrel.

I‘m at the end of my rope here. Any advice helps!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot to mention: I also fitted a „booster plug“. It should – in theory – only change the fueling in lower RPMs tho. It is, however, a change I made after testing the left/right side comparisons and the final fitting of the mirrors (status quo)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I think the problem you are trying to solve is vibrating mirrors, not the correct weight to match OEM bar-ends.

With standard bar ends, there is still vibration (it's an in-line 4 engine, so they all do that), and some people find that vibration intrusive. That means that simply matching OEM weight will just be aiming for the same amount of vibration that exists as standard, rather than eliminating it.

By placing your mirrors at the end of the bars, you are perfectly positioning them to maximize the effect of any vibration on visibility.

My guess is that you need to perfect a way to completely isolate the mirrors from vibration. Rubber mounting is about the only option.

I'm not sure why you thought heavy flirting would help, but I hope you had fun and the flirting was returned.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Big One,

that actually makes perfect sense! I Didnt think about it that way. However, I felt that it wasn't vibrating THIS MUCH with OEM. It deffo got worse with my set-up.
So, yes, you're spot on: I'm trying to reduce mirror vibrating. The buzzing in the bars doesn't even annoy me as much. It's actually a great indicator for what rev range I am in :)

In your opinion, would you say adding more weight – and thus changing the "swinging frequency" – could help? I have more weights I could add! Last resort: Change the bar entirely. But I wouldnt love doing that.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
No. The vibration you feel and see is generated by the engine. Adding weights won't remove the vibration. But it will alter the resonant frequency that buzzes the bars and mirrors. That's why I suggested trying to isolate the mirrors. I had some bar and mirrors for a while that had a big rubber washer to isolate them from the vibration. That worked well but the rubber degraded fast so the mirrors were always coming loose.

I concluded I don't like bar end mirrors and only use standard style.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rizoma has many bar ends that would effectively rubber mount bar end mirrors. I have them from my former Z1K and are installed now--just haven't mounted the mirrors because the look better than they actual are useful.

This might not be the exact kit I have, but it's very similar. There are a few options in the mounting bits with the bar ends. Rizoma Bar Ends - Series 533 - RevZilla

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,703 Posts
just a thought: could you weld the mount for your mirror to part 12 in the stock bar end assembly? it's rubber mounted inside, so should isolate the vibration, as per OEM - but you're pretty committed once you step onto this path... a machinist could be useful...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rizoma has many bar ends that would effectively rubber mount bar end mirrors. I have them from my former Z1K and are installed now--just haven't mounted the mirrors because the look better than they actual are useful.

This might not be the exact kit I have, but it's very similar. There are a few options in the mounting bits with the bar ends. Rizoma Bar Ends - Series 533 - RevZilla

Thanks for the advice! But if I read this correctly, I would just reproduce the problem I tried to avoid in the beginning which is the mirrors not truly being "fixed into position" but being able to swivel on the rubber.

Man, you'd think after 4yrs of production, they found a better solution at honda.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just a thought: could you weld the mount for your mirror to part 12 in the stock bar end assembly? it's rubber mounted inside, so should isolate the vibration, as per OEM - but you're pretty committed once you step onto this path... a machinist could be useful...

View attachment 49208
Honda: Here are some crappy mirrors. You don't like em? Switch em out.
McGyver on forum: Now … hear me out … have you considered WELDING?!

hahaha … YOU, sir, are a f**king champion!!

I actually had a similar idea … see, the thing is: the OEM bars even have a ring inside that prevents stuff from sliding in all the way! So even if you would leave the vibra-dampers in, you couldnt fit a new bar end. So I was thinking: What if you sawed a big chunk out of the middle, leave the rubber mounted ends intact, glue those 2 (shortened) pieces of damper together and THEN screw the end with some locktite into the bar end? (can you follow my train of thought?)

it would at least add more weight to the bars, thus make it harder to buzz, and it even would be rubber mounted. Whaddaya think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the advice! But if I read this correctly, I would just reproduce the problem I tried to avoid in the beginning which is the mirrors not truly being "fixed into position" but being able to swivel on the rubber.

Man, you'd think after 4yrs of production, they found a better solution at honda.
Any of these bar end mirrors have a ball for adjustments--as do the mirrors I have here.

There's also a Teflon sleeve for different bar end diameters.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,703 Posts
McGyver on forum: Now … hear me out … have you considered WELDING?!

hahaha … YOU, sir, are a f**king champion!!
thanks Donnie! first time I've been compared to someone famous! (y)

actually there used to be a similar show on TV here in Canada, called the Red Green show. duct tape was their solution to every problem. you can watch episodes on Youtube. hilarious...

( now that this comes to mind, have you thought about using duct tape to attach the bar-end mirrors? flexible, strong, can be colour-matched...)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks Donnie! first time I've been compared to someone famous! (y)

actually there used to be a similar show on TV here in Canada, called the Red Green show. duct tape was their solution to every problem. you can watch episodes on Youtube. hilarious...

( now that this comes to mind, have you thought about using duct tape to attach the bar-end mirrors? flexible, strong, can be colour-matched...)

I have! But if you ever tried to remove duct tape, you know that it always leaves a lot of residue … and I'm not sure that the glue itself is sticky enough. Was also thinking of maybe just drenching a cloth in red locktite and wrapping it around the two sawed-off pieces.

Most youtube videos I've seen try to ram in some sort of bird shot BBs with glue.
But it's not legal to buy ammo here in the federal republic.

Who'd have known what a pain in the budd it can be to modify your bike, ey?

Sending my regards to the true north!
Always wanted to go. You guys live in paradise.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,703 Posts
Sending my regards to the true north!
Always wanted to go. You guys live in paradise.
true, we may live in paradise, but we ride in America! or at least, we used to! there is reason to hope that now that competent government has returned to the USA we'll see the back of Covid, and we'll be able to return to ripping fabulous, deserted back-highways in Nor Cal and elsewhere. maybe this autumn? meanwhile, just dreams! Hwy 36 shown ( 136 MILES!!! of twistiness... and surrounding beauty...):

[fzck me, I want to be there, so badly...]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey folks

Wanted to change the mirrors on my CB1000R (sc80) to bar end ones.
Turns out: It’s not that easy! If you leave the OEM vibration damper in and use an aftermarket bar end, it will spin 360* since the damper is rubber mounted. (I tried it. It’s bad!) and when you try aftermarket (let’s call em) „Ankers“, you have to find EXACTLY the pieces that extend outward enough to not interfere with the grips and the gas.

In order to prevent spinny mirrors, I ripped all the OEM stuff out and put in new Ankers, ends, and installed the mirrors over it (Highsider bar ends, motogadget mo.view bar end mirrors). Great visibility! But now the buzz in the handle bar is SO BAD that my mirrors shake to a degree that I can‘t see jack poop behind me! (City traffic kinda okay, highway speeds … tis just a blur! I have to pull the clutch to calm the bike down enough to see.)

I did a bit of testing and research. OEM inserts weigh 180g per side (end 108, damper 72). With my aftermarket solution, I MATCH THAT WEIGHT. But still it feels like holding a bee hive.

What I‘ve tried:
Keep in mind, with the fallowing various set-ups and testing, I did everything to the engine that sends a good buzz through the entire bike – including holding it at 5.5k rev, intense engine braking, and heavy flirting.

LEFT: OEM end and insert – RIGHT: no end and OEM insert = No noticeable change in buzz
LEFT: Highsider End and OEM insert – RIGHT: no end and OEM insert = No noticeable change in buzz
LEFT: Highsider End, mo.view end-mirror, OEM insert – RIGHT: NO end, NO insert, NOTHING = No noticeable change in buzz.

For me, this seemed like WE‘RE GOOD for installing above named aftermarket solution. So why is it NOW buzzing worse than with any other set-up before? Hands are numb, visibility is crap and it steers like a drunken squirrel.

I‘m at the end of my rope here. Any advice helps!
Hi Donnie,
I have a pair of CRG bar end arrow style mirrors on mine and it works well, i dont have vibration dampener on my bike either, maybe you just had a bad pair of mirror?

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,703 Posts
I've not done 36 yet. If you end up heading there, I'll meet you there. I love riding new roads.
fzck me, Steve! you live 3 hours max from the best riding in western North America... and you've not been there? we trailer our bikes 12 hours overnite, driving tag-team, down the god-forsaken hell that is I-5 to spend a long weekend in Nor Cal, almost every year. maybe a week if we can stretch it. this stuff is way closer to you. ever ridden Skaggs Springs Rd, a.k.a. Skaggs Springs Speedway? or Quincy to Oroville, a.k.a. The Racetrack in the Sky? or Wentworth Springs Rd? or 198 from Three Rivers up to Moro Overlook? or 155 from Woody to Kernville? or CA 26 from Mokelumne Hill out to US 88? or Weaverville to Callaghan to Cecilville (we call that "Crazyville")? etc, etc, ad infinitum... way less technical than Hamilton Mtn, but BIG, and remote, and serious. the best riding in Canada is in northern California! and, for sure, once the border opens again, you'll find us down that way again. fingers crossed, this autumn! I'll call!

(p.s. subscribe to pashnit.com for the best coverage imaginable of excellent back-country riding roads in CA. Tim Mayhew is an absolute gem; friendly, open, generous, and a store-house of info. rider-of-the-decade, imo...)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts