Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! So, today I finally got to test the new CB1000R. I got to the dealers about a half hour after they opened and there was noone else there so I managed to get a 40 min test ride (around town, motorway, and country lanes). Then, later in the afternoon, I went back and test rode it again (this time only a 10 min one). Here's my thoughts:

Initial impressions:
+ It's tiny! I am not tall (176cm) but even I could get both feel easily down. It feels more like a 600 than a 1000cc bike!
+ It looks great! The details look just as good as an Aprilia.
+ The LED-light under the headlight looks much better in person than in pictures.
+ The black is a metallic black that sparkles in the sunlight.
+ Ergonomics are very similar to a Speed Triple; with a slight forward lean. A very natural position. The pegs are in a sporty but relaxed position.
+ The display is easy to read (or rather; the speedo is, and the revs if they are above 2000rpm, and the fuel gauge, everything else is a bit too cluttered to read whilst on the move).

[edit; forgot this comment] + The exhaust looks kind of bulky in some pictures but in person it looks much smaller and matches the rest of the bike well. [/edit]

Around town:
+ The clutch is light and easily modulated.
+ Not that you need it! This bike pulls cleanly without protesting from under 2000rpm. Perfect on slow roundabouts (which I could take in third gear!!!), and in traffic, etc. I never used the clutch once in any corner except for pulling away from lights! (And I am addicted to slipping the clutch in slow bends!)
+ The on/off fuel response is quite simply spot on! Some might wish for a more instant punch but I loved the user friendly response of the engine.

Motorway:
+ It is very windy! Much more so than my R12R.
+ The front wheel feels a little light over 120kph, but let's face it; you need a screen if you want to go faster. I tested up to about 160kph and though it was windy and a bit light it was still stable and safe.

Country lanes:
+ The bike was as much at home here as in town.
+ Suspension was great out of the box and I am sure could be improved to suit my weight.
+ The bike wasn't at all upset by bumpy sections of road.
+ It begs to be ridden fast though so hold on to your licenses!
+ No need for gear changing - I just stuck it in 6th and rode the torque curve! At least down to 50kph!

What can I say that's negative? Well, only two things:
- The gear changes are somewhat vague and rubbery, sometimes I was unsure if I had actually swapped gears. This may be because I am used to the agricultural gearbox of the BMW though. However, I never once missed a gear change so I think I would get used to this.
- The standard Honda indicators are foul. The bike is so sleek and compact they look huge. I will definitely swap these!

Finally, the test bike had ABS. The conditions were too perfect to test the ABS but the brakes themselves were very good.

So, am I buying one? I'll tell you after the pictures...

YES!
I have contacted one potential buyer for my BMW and as soon as it's sold I will be ordering myself a CB1000R in black, WITH ABS - partly because the brakes were so good, partly because they actually looked ok without the radial calipers, and partly because the non-ABS bikes won't be delivered until August but I can get an ABS bike in July!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
hass said:
So, am I buying one? I'll tell you after the pictures...
I didn't have to wait for the pictures after reading that review :thumbup Nice one Hass!

It's great to see more pictures of the different coloured bikes. I'm sick of seeing the green now though I've not seen any photos of the silver recently; did nobody buy one? Especially good to see the black, as that's what I've ordered, non-ABS though. Can't wait to get it!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Great work Hass!! Excellent write up! :thumbup

Glad you liked it and hope you sell your 'bike as soon as possible.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Good stuff, regarding the suspension, how much do you weigh?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JJON said:
Alot more than I should for my height... about 95kgs with my kit.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
hass said:
JJON said:
Alot more than I should for my height... about 95kgs with my kit.
This is a point that some journos have tried to make before. No, not that Hass weighs that much, but that Honda tend to aim for a particular sized person when they configure their new bikes, and this affects the OE tyres too. Usually it is claimed that a bike is designed to give at least 15,000 miles for a 15 stone rider with a pillion blah blah blah. Maybe the settings are aimed at a 15 stone rider then? Personally I'm only about 13 stone; wonder if that will make any difference?

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
My weight tends to fluctuate... I am about 13 stone at the moment.... but in the past have been around 15 stone...

I personally found most Honda's to be too hard on the preload...so dropped it by one or two notches...

On my FZ1 the reverse is kind of true... softened the rebound and increased the preload.

·
Registered
353 Posts
They look like standard Diablos, the press launch bikes and the advertising bikes all have BT015s. Does anyone know what the UK bikes are coming with?

Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
All the italian CB's are delivered with BT015
Why Hass' CB is with Diablos?
:notme :notme :notme

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think they might be Diablo Corsas - if you look really carefully at the side shot then the "orsa" might be visible upsidedown at the bottom of the tyre.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts

Pirelli Diablo Corsa

Seems that most of the Diablo's have the same tread pattern so it could be any of them

Here is the Diablo Corsa III, which I think is that one: [link]

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Diablos were brilliant on my 900. But are they getting a bit long in the tooth now. Corsas do get some good recomendations

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
I'd have Diablo Corsa's any day rather than Bridgestones..... the Pirelli Diablo range are excellent tyres... the best tyres I have ever used on a bike... especially my old 900.

Diablo Rosso's are the new tri-compound tyre now I think (really grippy on the edges).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts