Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Yeah, the silver looks somewhat sophisticated, don't you think? I do think you need to take a hair drier to the Doble logo tho (first thing I did!) so it doesn't look like a demo bike any more! :rollin

·
Registered
382 Posts
Very nice :thumbup

Pel, can you give a bit of a write up after the S2R - handling, countersteering braking and anything else that comes to mind. Like weight for instance.

Cheers Stu

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CB1000R Versis Monster S2R1000. (after test ride and 50 miles on my own)

Intially the CB feels heavy to push, when sitting on bike slightly higher and more over the tank. But not as far foward on the lean on the handlebars. But I don't think it feels as heavy as the 900 did. But like most things it becomes the norm.

Once setting off the CB feels more confident in its pose, quieter engine noise with no clutch clatter, progressing forward is very smooth, non of the lumpiness felt through the engine as on the V Twin. Initial feelings of going into corners is that the front end feels much more sorted than the Monster, it feels that it will turn into the corner much better. After geting to used to the intial feeling of sitting over the handlebars rather then the monsters longer tank but lower stretched position it steers great. So far keeping to the speed limits and keeping the revs down but finding I am overtaking smoother than I did with monster.

I would say the brakes are spot on, not over aggressive, haven't used them in anger as trying to get back to smooth riding, even the ABS on the test ride were fine and seemed to have plenty of stopping power if needed. I would say from my initial rides they are better than the S2R1000.

The seat seems to have 2 positions, fully against the tank for fast riding and backside right up against the rear seat which may allow a more relaxed position for longer distance. Seat not to hard and feels it will bed in slightly.

I think the weight of the CB is more top heavy than the Monster in distrubution, but in a good way.

Finish of the bike compares highly with the Monster, and easier to clean. Suspect it will have the same issues with the downpipes as the 900 did, (polish or they will go very manky). All the equipment to me seems spot on. Even the switch gear does it's purpose, the clocks are an electronic work of art as clocks can go for bikes. Hopefully no gremlins in these as reported across the Monster range with what was fitted to the S2R.

Have to be honest I think I prefer the smoother engine with less chance of locking rear wheel compared to the Duke. Clutch is fine, have seen someone complain its a little stiff for them but after riding ducatis its a 2 finger pull. Throttle is smooth, and makes fowarded momentum so much easier to breeze through.

I would say if you liked the hornet 900, then the CB1000 is defintely a good move on for a replacement model to a 7 year old bike. For replacing the S2R1000, the problem here is how much you like the feel of the duke, its engine noise and the fun of riding a bike whose engine can feel more relaxed but sound very agressive as twins do. Personally I love both and in a ideal world would have both. But I did miss the 900 and have watched the CB1000 with interest. After buying one would I go back to the S2R1000. The answer is no, But I won't knock it as its a brilliant bike for the purpose it was built and looks bloody good in red.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cheers for that. I see you also get a rear brake with it. :thumbup Is the seat cowl standard?

I'm really surprised that you find it turns in quicker than the monster I can't imagine a bike being better in cornering than the S2r - it just falls in and rolls round then correct by countersteering as needed. Counter steering is brilliant on the Ducati never worked for me very well on the 900 hornet.

People' comments about a heavy clutch on a Honda tends to bring a smile to my face too!

I sat on a dry one (no fluids) today felt the weight and was nicely surprised, I could wheel it around quite easily. I was always very nervous when manouvering the Hornet around it just needed to tilt over a little bit and then it fell - too top heavy - I did that 4 times! This bike didn't give me that feeling.
Was also surprised to be able to get my feet flat on the ground.
Still no test ride though. I do like the white 'colour'.
Lots to think about, like 'where's the money going to come from" etc.
Have also just seen the new Moto Morini 1200 which I like a lot too........

Have fun, Stu

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Hi Stu,

No, the seat cowl is not standard, but while it does look awesome, that big hump in the middle is really uncomfortable when you're pressed into the back of the seat under acceleration. I put the pillion seat on today to go for a spin and it's lots more comfortable

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Antnee said:
Hi Stu,

No, the seat cowl is not standard, but while it does look awesome, that big hump in the middle is really uncomfortable when you're pressed into the back of the seat under acceleration. I put the pillion seat on today to go for a spin and it's lots more comfortable

That Hump doesn't cause me any issue. Suppose it depends on the size of your A**e.... :potty :potty

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Did we establish that I'm taller than you (at 5ft11), I don't remember. I just slide back into it and it hurts!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Antnee said:
Did we establish that I'm taller than you (at 5ft11), I don't remember. I just slide back into it and it hurts!

Yer, Yer Yer..... I am much shorter.....

Will be honest do find that I may not be sliding back as much as gripping the rubber with my knees. But i never tend to move around the seat mutch unless I was silly enough to polish it.

:D :D

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
The dealer; it's the official Honda pillion seat cowl. It doesn't go over the seat, it replaces it :thumbup

Welcome to the site by the way bjorno :hello

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Antnee said:
The dealer; it's the official Honda pillion seat cowl. It doesn't go over the seat, it replaces it :thumbup

Welcome to the site by the way bjorno :hello

Spot on..

Welcome to the forum...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts