Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I have an 2018 CB1000R with 10200 km in ODO and I just realize it consumed oil. I have changed oil at 9000km on Oct 20 2021. I used Honda 10w30 oil and fill to the top line. Now, after 6 months and 1200 Km, I have checked the oil and saw it stay at the bottom line.
I did not see any signs of oil burning like smoke or smell. My bike is using stock exhaust with catalytic converter. Sometime, I ride it hard, rev to over 10K rpm at gear 2, 3, 4.
Does anyone have this problem? Does my bike engine is damage? Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you change filter too? Pre-filled the filter? (Only a small volume but...)
Top it up and see if it goes down again?

At similar milage, but not having issues yet
Thank you for reply.
I have changed the oil filter at last time, fill a half of it with new oil before putting it back.
Do you ride it hard? Push the bike to rev limit at multiple gear, fast acceleration, doing engine brake with rev matching?
Will the catalytic converter prevent smoke coming out from the exhaust?

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition
74 Posts
If it’s not smoking, not leaking and running well then I would doubt anything serious is going on. The difference between high and low dipstick marks is probably a very small volume of oil anyway (someone will know on here exactly). As long as you know how much you put in was correct and it’s always in between dipstick marks I wouldn’t worry about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it’s not smoking, not leaking and running well then I would doubt anything serious is going on. The difference between high and low dipstick marks is probably a very small volume of oil anyway (someone will know on here exactly). As long as you know how much you put in was correct and it’s always in between dipstick marks I wouldn’t worry about it.
Not smoking, not leaking, everything is normal. I have re-filled with 400ml oil and it is on top line in oil level inspection window. I always check oil level before the ride.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank you for reply.
I have changed the oil filter at last time, fill a half of it with new oil before putting it back.
Do you ride it hard? Push the bike to rev limit at multiple gear, fast acceleration, doing engine brake with rev matching?
Will the catalytic converter prevent smoke coming out from the exhaust?
Could be a difference of when checking.. hot vs cold, soon after engine stop or when all oil runs back, or initially after refill some of the oil galleries drained when filter taken off ..

As Bevo said, just keep track of levels and topups until next oil change, see if it really drops consistently..
Assume you are checking on stand in same place at same bike angle?

I do lots of stop-start, QS up and down, but not hi-revs all the time .. we have cops and speed limits.. (time and place...) I tend to change oil more frequently than needed, and not needed to top up recently... (Old carby bike did.. rich mixtures can wash oil off bores)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be a difference of when checking.. hot vs cold, soon after engine stop or when all oil runs back, or initially after refill some of the oil galleries drained when filter taken off ..

As Bevo said, just keep track of levels and topups until next oil change, see if it really drops consistently..
Assume you are checking on stand in same place at same bike angle?

I do lots of stop-start, QS up and down, but not hi-revs all the time .. we have cops and speed limits.. (time and place...) I tend to change oil more frequently than needed, and not needed to top up recently... (Old carby bike did.. rich mixtures can wash oil off bores)
The bike must be vertical, not on the kickstand
I usually start the bike, run at Idle in 5 minutes (temperature = ~80°C) then stop and let it stay for 30 minutes. I have checked the oil level when keep it up right balance on the ground (same place).

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,061 Posts
Mine never used any oil between oil changes over a period of ten years.--Of course I did run it in carefully from new.

Reactions: Bevo
1 - 15 of 15 Posts