Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Any chance you could put these wheels with tyres on a scale to see how heavy they are? I could do the same with stock cb wheels to see if they lighter or no.. what discs did you install?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Any chance you could put these wheels with tyres on a scale to see how heavy they are? I could do the same with stock cb wheels to see if they lighter or no.. what discs did you install?
I have an oversized sport touring tire installed right now so it would read a bit heavier.

Lookin at internal information for packaged weights (which is not 100% accurate), the weight difference is 18.206 for CB and 13.9 for VFR. I know the VFR wheel isn't THAT much, if any, lighter. Keeping in mind this would have been with a tire installed as an assembly. The VFR had a 170 while the CB used a 180, both are 5.5 in width.

The reason for this swap was because the VFR wheel looks much better to me and it's a hard rim to find.

The discs are stock.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Kinda off the subject, but has anyone notice how cheap the CB wheels are now? When I was searching a year ago, they were over $1000 each. Now the rear can be bought brand new for less than $200 and the front less than $300!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Would the "new" 2013 wheels (front and Back wheels fit?

Think that would make for a nice Swap.

Anyone tried it / measured them?
All CB1000R rims are the same, sans color.

The VFR750 8 spoke shown above and all VFR800 pre-2014 5-lug, will bolt on directly to our bikes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
More or less. The hardest part about the whole thing is figuring out how to support it properly. I used an engine hoist. You don't want it pressing on the shock, nor hanging from it. You want the tire touching the ground just enough to take up the weight of the rear swingarm/wheel assembly. It makes it very easy to get the pivot bolt in and out since there isn't pressure on it. Don't forget to loosen the chain first.
Don't let it fall on the ground like tbutera. :p
Lol what a nightmare... My setup was awful... No damage to bike though, and was smooth as can be after I borrowed my neighbors ladder

OP - get or borrow a big a frame latter, pop it up and put over rear of bike, then run straps through passenger pegs and up to top of latter and ratchet until back of bike is off the ground... I removed the rear wheel to make it easier, but I didn't use a rod to keep swingarm in place so had to wiggle it some to get it back together... Very stable setup and easy to do... Just don't run a rod through the rear pegs and support the bike on jack stands sitting on top of boxes, especially if the rod is a hair too short... Found my bike resting on the exhaust and swingarm, sitting on the ground like a damn jetski... Luckily it didn't actually fall over, just came off the stands, no damage... But use a ladder and you will be golden... Best mod I did to my bike appearance wise was powder coating those black

Oh, and I didn't loosen my chain.... Even with pivot bolt out, the chain kept swingarm mostly right in place, made it easy to put back together

·
Registered
29 Posts
Meant to ask if the new 2014 VFR INTERCEPTOR wheels would fit.

My error-didn't mean to imply CB1000R wheels.

Anyone happen to know?

That would enable a MATCHING set with --in my opinion--a much NICER "spoke" pattern.

Thank you

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Meant to ask if the new 2014 VFR INTERCEPTOR wheels would fit.

My error-didn't mean to imply CB1000R wheels.

Anyone happen to know?

That would enable a MATCHING set with --in my opinion--a much NICER "spoke" pattern.

Thank you
Nope, the rear is a 5 lug bolt pattern, our cb swing arm uses a 4 lug. You'd have to see if the hubs could be swapped over but I haven't ever looked into it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
20141212_213104.jpg
I just weighted my rims. Cb rim with a new pirelli angel gt 180/55/17 tyre(not the lightest one) = 13,7 kg.
Vfr 5-spoke also with new pirelli angel gt 180/55/17 tyre = 13 kg

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Looking at the two pictures above of the painted white wheels, i can honestly say i prefer the CB one. The VFR wheel looks different but not that different and to then try and match up the front with all the work/expense that would go into this, i am not too sure i would bother, i would invest the monies spent on new suspension for the rear (Ohlins) and have the front upgraded.

I do like the look of the bike with the new wheels but why did you not remove the rear pillion pegs ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Looking at the two pictures above of the painted white wheels, i can honestly say i prefer the CB one. The VFR wheel looks different but not that different and to then try and match up the front with all the work/expense that would go into this, i am not too sure i would bother, i would invest the monies spent on new suspension for the rear (Ohlins) and have the front upgraded.

I do like the look of the bike with the new wheels but why did you not remove the rear pillion pegs ?
Firstly, I found a guy to trade the wheel for me. I can buy a brand new CB wheel for $150. I can't find a VFR wheel in perfect condition for anyhting cheaper than $300, so I would have a great trade on my hands. I also hate the look of the rear wheel stock and saw this as a good opportunity to see if it would fit.

I didn't take off the pillion pegs because I ride a few times a week with my girlfriend. I used the solo cowl in the mean time because it's a better seal around the tail and doesn't have gaps, so it stays marginally cleaner. It also looks much better with it.

For the record, my total investment in getting this real wheel done is $96 in powdercoating. A new rear shock is a whole other ball game, brother.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The VFR wheel looks miles better imho.
The OE wheel just looks like a 70's style bacon slicer.
I'd have bought a CB to replace my hornet9 ages ago....but that rear wheel, well, it's a deal breaker.
Bought a Tuono instead.
Still have the hornet though.....each to their own eh?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
The VFR wheel looks miles better imho.
The OE wheel just looks like a 70's style bacon slicer.
I'd have bought a CB to replace my hornet 9 ages ago....but that rear wheel, well, it's a deal breaker.
Bought a Tuono instead.
Still have the hornet though.....each to their own eh?
As you say---each to their own------The OE wheel was one of the reasons I bought the bike.---------:D

·
Banned
5,355 Posts
Each to their own... is a polite way of calling some one weird.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
21 - 40 of 47 Posts