Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, I saw this discussed before, but I've measured and re-measured and can confim that the 1991-1993 VFR750F (8-soke) rear wheel fits the CB1000R. Same as the 98-09 VFR800 (5 spoke).

Here's how my CB stands today after powder coating and 1,000 miles. Topped the bike out on the road... everything fine :)

CBdeath.jpg

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation! How does the bike feel with the lighter wheel?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the confirmation! How does the bike feel with the lighter wheel?
Hah, never checked if it's lighter... I don't think it is.

Problem with my set up is I had this RoadSmart II laying around for my RC51 that I put on the bike so I could do a road trip. It's a 190/55 so it's changed the feeling of the bike more than the rim.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now you need a VFR front to match the rear :confused:
Been considering a front but the logistics are tough. The VFR800 looks like it should match up but the discs are smaller. The only disc with that bolt pattern I could find in 310mm should be a 98-99 CBR900RR but I haven't verified the offset yet. I'm actually OK with how it looks now, the front is hidden enugh it looks appropriate enough to me.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Looks good. :thumbup Needs a center cap.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Most of the roads are boring as heck, as you can see ;-)
Leaving LA for DV, one can re-create the old Death Valley Tours, made famous by the Harley Davidson dealers in the 60's.
This particular view, leaving Towne pass for the valley floor, with the chute to Trona/Ridgecrest/Randsburg/Mojave has spectacular scenery, along with canyons and mountain passes that connect the straights through the valleys.

People come from all over the world to see DV. http://books.google.com/books?id=KvgDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA15&lpg=PA15&dq=original+death+valley+tour+harley+dealers.&source=bl&ots=S4xtcwrEDV&sig=ZDd4Tt7mF2l2m58oUYKDdj8g4xU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=L71FVKlq7oiLAoeCgcgO&ved=0CD8Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=original death valley tour harley dealers.&f=false

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice indeed mate..Paint the frame and that would look even sweeter..
I'd like to, but I've seen that the swingarm needs to come off with it? Looks like the frame covers are bolted into the swingarm pivot. I don't want to drop it all just to paint it haha. I was thinking about maybe some kind of wrap.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You don't have to remove the swingarm, but you do have to remove the pivot bolt. It's not too bad. I recommend using some kind of rod as a slave pin so the swingarm stays put when you remove the pivot bolt.

I've seen center caps on ebay before, but they had VFR written on them. I guess you could paint over it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't have to remove the swingarm, but you do have to remove the pivot bolt. It's not too bad. I recommend using some kind of rod as a slave pin so the swingarm stays put when you remove the pivot bolt.

I've seen center caps on ebay before, but they had VFR written on them. I guess you could paint over it.
So the swingarm just hangs by the shock?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
More or less. The hardest part about the whole thing is figuring out how to support it properly. I used an engine hoist. You don't want it pressing on the shock, nor hanging from it. You want the tire touching the ground just enough to take up the weight of the rear swingarm/wheel assembly. It makes it very easy to get the pivot bolt in and out since there isn't pressure on it. Don't forget to loosen the chain first.
Don't let it fall on the ground like tbutera. :p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts