Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Previous owner of a black 2011 model that I loved and foolishly sold to fund a BMW GS purchase (what was I thinking?). Anyway, starting the process of looking for a new to me CB since I'm moving back near the Ozark Mountains and lots of twisty back country roads. I am seeing that maybe this forum is UK based? Is there a US version or regional section that I'm missing? Thanks. Photo of a possible victim...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,690 Posts
hello Steve. welcome back. nice choice to get on a CB again...
it has been 7 years since you and your friends guided me around the Ozarks for a couple days. what a highlight!
I'm still riding the same bike... sorta... I hit a deer in Utah in 2018 and wrote the 2012 off. pretty banged up myself, but I survived. thought about what to replace it with and bought a 2013. can't be beat!
maybe paths will cross again some day.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Very cool to connect with you again Doser...and yes, my old brain remembers you and our ride. Sorry about your encounter with the forest rat...they can really do some damage. Glad you recovered! I was fortunate to Ride with some BC friends in NorCal a couple of summers back. I seem to love riding with Canadians... Ride well my friend!

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,040 Posts
I was under the impression that the forum was now Canadian based.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,690 Posts
I was under the impression that the forum was now Canadian based.
true that, eh?

but the membership ( and postings) seems largely UK based. that's all good; this is about sharing info, problem solving, a bit of 'stoke', etc. doesn't matter where you live or ride. the fundamental unit of measurement here is CB1000R. and that's worldwide... ( altho admittedly limited in numbers...)

PS so nice that you continue to chime in from time to time Colvert. you're the oldest guy I've ever come across on a motorcycle forum, and I admire your fortitude. I 'm chasing you by about a decade, so your records are safe for the moment!(y)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the CB is just not that popular in North America
My absence from riding a CB was punctuated by owning/riding/modding a new 2017 FZ-09. These bikes seem popular with young riders and us old guys with multiple bikes because they are/were only $7-8 grand OTD. Fast and fun, but I never melded with the bike like my CB. The chassis is poorly suspended and twitchy. The rear squats with throttle inputs, and in the beginning the light front end made me giggle with delight, but it soon became an obvious shortcoming. Even after spending $1800 in suspension upgrades (Nitron shock, fork springs and piston kit rebuild) I still didn't love it. The CB out of the box is more refined, more stable, just a better quality bike. Until you ride one, you might think the F Zed is a bargain, but IMO it's not. I think the higher price tag of the CB keeps prospective buyers looking at cheaper options, hence being less popular in today's NA economy.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,040 Posts
true that, eh?

but the membership ( and postings) seems largely UK based. that's all good; this is about sharing info, problem solving, a bit of 'stoke', etc. doesn't matter where you live or ride. the fundamental unit of measurement here is CB1000R. and that's worldwide... ( altho admittedly limited in numbers...)

PS so nice that you continue to chime in from time to time Colvert. you're the oldest guy I've ever come across on a motorcycle forum, and I admire your fortitude. I 'm chasing you by about a decade, so your records are safe for the moment!(y)
84 September.---Can't believe it myself.--I would still be riding my CB but for the vibration, hurting after about 100 kilometres or so, the start of arthritis in my fingers.-It comes to all of us when we get old. Mores the pity.----The earlier CB is such an easy bike to ride, slow or fast. Does both really well. An opinion shared by many CB riders. The other makes are still trying to catch up with Honda reliability and quality of finish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, the CB is just not that popular in North America
Doesn t seem heaps popular in Aus either. So much so that the new ones aren t coming here at this stage.
So many MTs around its not funny. When i told people i was buying one, they seem to think Hondas are boring.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Doesn t seem heaps popular in Aus either. So much so that the new ones aren t coming here at this stage.
So many MTs around its not funny. When i told people i was buying one, they seem to think Hondas are boring.
The magazine reviews almost always describe Hondas as dull or boring. Yet if you dig in a bit, you can see that they say they are boring because they are so good. Readers go with the bikes that the magazines say are not boring.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got mine for looks and comfort after riding a sports bike for 20 odd years It's been anything but dull and boring and if anything i'm having way more fun on it and probably getting more confident the more I ride it.

I went down to one of the cafes where all the bikers meet on Sunday and parked up and it's nice to be the odd one out amongst all the CBRs, R1s, GSXRs etc....... that tbh all pretty much blend in with one another.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts