Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just made a modified version of the standard template that adjusts better for modern devices with small screens, ie mobile phones. I suspect some will work better than others, but I'd like some feedback from some of you guys to see if it's heading in the right direction or not.

What's changed?

• The header logo changes to a smaller one[/*:m]
  • The header logo is no longer animated[/*:m]
  • Buttons on the posting page (for example) are larger and easier to hit with your finger[/*:m]
  • The Google Ads are removed[/*:m]
  • The Facebook and Google+ links are removed[/*:m]
Otherwise it's essentially the same template that you all see now and is a precursor to further mobile-friendly design work that I plan to do. It is by no means a finished product.

So, what I'm looking for is a few people who have (preferably) different mobile devices that we can test it on to see how well it works. Personally I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is an Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) device with a 1280x720 resolution screen, so I've got that particular configuration sorted. I would appreciate Blackberry users (of recent OSes at least), iOS 4 and 5 users on iPads and iPhones, Android 2 and 3 (with various screen sizes) and maybe a couple of Nokia/Symbian users.

I have already found a fault with mine, and I gather it will affect iPhone4 and iPhone4S users too, as your device reports the "viewport-width" as much smaller than it actually is, so you need to zoom out a little, but once that's done I find it's much more usable than normal.

So, who would like to try it out? Please reply here and let me know what your mobile device is.

Thanks guys :thumbup

NOTE: THIS TEMPLATE IS ONLY AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST - YOU WILL NOT SEE IT UNLESS YOU ASK FOR IT

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is what it looks like on my iPhone 4S w/ iOS 5.
I have to zoom in an manually scroll through every word I want to read. Is there a way to automatically align the text onto the screen when I zoom in? I'm sorry, but I'm a complete layman on this subject. :notme

Attachments

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've assigned you the new template. Is that any better?

(BTW I edited your post to attach the images as ironically it was the size of the ImgShack images that were breaking my mobile layout ;))

·
Registered
235 Posts
Oops! :emb
It improved, but the text still looks very small. The iPhone has a much smaller screen than your Galaxy Nexus, so that may be the problem!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's surprising actually. I've found that the "viewport size" setting that the mobile browsers should be looking at (which should be saying 720 wide on mine and 640 wide on yours) is often overridden and the browser reports a much smaller resolution because the high pixel density on these phones makes everything too small. Personally I'm finding mine, with the stock Android browser, is zoomed out too far and everything is too big. Opera on the other hand gives me this massively zoomed out version that isn't much different to what I see on a desktop. Oh well, it's all good research :thumbup

·
Registered
382 Posts
Antnee, I use my Blackberry Playbook (don't laugh at the back, it is better than being an iSheep ) and the browser displays the pages as if on a 'puter.

Also have an iPhone 4 on os5 if you need another opinion for that format.

Dave.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys. How would you feel about testing the new template for us? Need to make sure it works for Nokia users too :thumbup Do you know your phone models?

Dave, I'll move you to the new template shortly

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As much as I appreciate this feedback, none of you have the mobile template assigned unless you've asked for it or been told it's enabled for you, so you're not testing what I need you to test anyway :thumbup

If you'd like to help test the new style, please let me know and I'll switch you over

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Antnee said:
As much as I appreciate this feedback, none of you have the mobile template assigned unless you've asked for it or been told it's enabled for you, so you're not testing what I need you to test anyway :thumbup

If you'd like to help test the new style, please let me know and I'll switch you over
Galaxy S11 Antnee :pray :thumbup

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An unsurpisingly common (and excellent) handset. I'll enable the new style for you Berty mate, and if you can let me know what you think I'd be very grateful. Likewise any ideas to improve it (within reason)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Antnee said:
An unsurpisingly common (and excellent) handset. I'll enable the new style for you Berty mate, and if you can let me know what you think I'd be very grateful. Likewise any ideas to improve it (within reason)
Big improvement for me Buddy although tend to use Desktop . Will keep you posted and many thanks :thumbup

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, me too. It's very rough around the edges to be honest, but having removed the animated header that should cut down load times and make the page smoother to use. Also changing it to a smaller logo on the phone should help make things fit. Will look to exclude some things that don't need to be on there and clutter up the screen on a mobile, but I think it's a good first step so far, personally

1 - 20 of 76 Posts