Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , after winter sorted I filled tank and looked forward to a blast , engine misfiring on tickover but cleared over 2000revs , did 40 miles no probs until back to low revs, checked outer plugs, had tank off ! Checked after market exhaust decat patch etc , filled tank with injection cleaner, all to no avail, I have a PZR gear indicator which is plugged into the Honda diag red socket .....disabled that and it ran better , done 60 miles today all good until I dropped down to 2000 revs again misses until you hit 2500/3000....... very strange, don't want to go to dealership........no warning lights at all......help appreciated .....3800 miles only mint

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you sure its really a misfire or just jumpy at low revs because you have removed the cat and not retuned for it? My 2014 can be jumpy below 2k as well but its no issue. A tune will fix it I just haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure its really a misfire or just jumpy at low revs because you have removed the cat and not retuned for it? My 2014 can be jumpy below 2k as well but its no issue. A tune will fix it I just haven't done it yet.
Yeah it's possible although was fine last summer , starts first time every time, may put original exhaust back on if I can't resolve it but that's a pain especially if it doesn't cure it..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's possible although was fine last summer , starts first time every time, may put original exhaust back on if I can't resolve it but that's a pain especially if it doesn't cure it..........
Resolved.....
Booked into Honda dealer (not main) new plugs fitted £213 inc vat should have done it myself when I had tank off !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Resolved.....
Booked into Honda dealer (not main) new plugs fitted £213 inc vat should have done it myself when I had tank off !
Yup, just absolutely the exact same issues after bike had been laid-up. Bought the plugs at Trade price (work in a car garage) but still cost £70 odd plus Vat, and set about fitting them, never having attempted even looking at the engine before, after all, how hard can it be???. Feck me, this was an eye opener in levels of design stupidity.
OMG, what a piss-poor set up! Remove seat, remove 2 tank bolts at front (only loosen rear pivot mount) Raise, and support tank at front, Starting on the Right hand side, remove wiring to pump under tank, remove the horn, remove R/H coil from frame, remove expansion tank, blow out dust from recess first then remove plug using special long reach elbow-jointed plug socket, Yup, they are miles down that bloody hole, replace said plug using a piece of fuel line (or similar) to hold plug by the screw on cap at top to enter plug into thread, I still can't believe how deep these plugs are set Now on to the left side, Not a lot of laughs here either, remove coil again, remove sensor wires, remove earth wire on coil mount (clean thoroughly on rebuild) I vaguely remember another water hose getting in the way that had to be loosened, and rotated out of the way (also firmly stuck in place) and irritatingly check the plugs you removed and see bugger all wrong with them, but NGK 'R's are just the same, fowl them once and chuck 'em away, or they will give you random ign faults until you bin them, my hill climb car is testimony to that.

Caution!!! Cover the top of the engine with a towel or cloth to block the gap between motor and rad. (Preferably White or light-coloured to easily show dropped screws, bolts or washers) So you don't do what I did! I dropped one of the bolts that mount the coil to the frame, and it bounced into the cowling of the rad, between rad fan and cowling, another 25mins lost trying to get it back (its not steel, so magnetic screwdriver is no use) It's right about now you find ALL the rad mounts are seized solid! ***tard! Eventually I lost my patience and thumped the bottom of the rad cowling with a rubber mallet, and to my huge relief the long screw fell out, I almost wept tears of joy.
What a miserable experience, 4 bloody hours to change 4 plugs, whoever thought a 40 min job could turn into a 4hr job, and whilst im no genius on the tools, im also not a complete amateur, thus I can almost see why the bill was over £200

·
Registered
188 Posts
I feel your pain. Back in the day I owned a Suzuki Across (a 4-cylinder 250 that didn’t get out of bed until it hit 8K or so). You couldn’t change the plugs on that sucker without a mirror on a stick and a helper monkey.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , after winter sorted I filled tank and looked forward to a blast , engine misfiring on tickover but cleared over 2000revs , did 40 miles no probs until back to low revs, checked outer plugs, had tank off ! Checked after market exhaust decat patch etc , filled tank with injection cleaner, all to no avail, I have a PZR gear indicator which is plugged into the Honda diag red socket .....disabled that and it ran better , done 60 miles today all good until I dropped down to 2000 revs again misses until you hit 2500/3000....... very strange, don't want to go to dealership........no warning lights at all......help appreciated .....3800 miles only mint
Could be just engine break up at partial throttle, She don't like 5% throttle at low revs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts