Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just completed the first 500 miles, limiting my revs to 5500.
Bike has acheived 48mpg, and I have enjoyed the performance!
I reckon that's pretty good - becaue it didn't need too much self restraint.
Don't these motorcycle journalists talk b*****ks!! (90 miles to reserve from Ride) - either that or they ride everywhere in 2nd or 3rd. Can't beleive everything you read,can you!!
Fastfd

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Oh, you wait until you start ragging it! I've seen reserve flashing at me around 100 miles a few times, and I've been pushing hard to get that, but I'm not as fast or capable as some of these journos. There is a big variation on how far the tank takes you, depending on how you ride

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm sure you're right!!

Started getting over 5500 today - feels good & strong but without the powerband of the FZ1. I'm certain it's quicker up to 100mph, which is what I wanted.

Honestly, though the beauty of this bike to me is that you can really enjoy it and keep things below 100mph.

After 3 week this one feels like a keeper to me!!

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
After 3 months I'm not so sure. I really love the bike but I actually think I may be one of those people who needs something a little less smooth, I dunno. The excitement from the blinding acceleration does eventually tire somewhat and I'm finding myself pushing harder to get my thrills. I love the bike, don't get me wrong, but I think I may have to do something to it to make it a bit more of an animal. Maybe switchable fuel maps might be in order, on a PCIII so it's still usable in really wet weather

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been averaging 38mpg during break in, 400 miles so far, but I aint been keeping her below 5500rpm. Theres no need on this engine its built to rediculous tollerances, just dont redline, dont accellerate too agressively, dont lug the engine and dont hold one rpm for too long untill they put propper oil in it at the 600mile service.

I'm topping the tank at about 110 to 115 miles, which aint great, but its no 90.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
You'll see elsewhere that most people are getting 110 - 120 to reserve, which I don't think is too bad for a 1000.

And Ant, I know what you mean about the excitement factor. Sometimes it all seems too easy, but then, that discussion's been had elsewhere, too.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Indeed, and I don't think I need more acceleration; it's a missile already, it's just so smooth that sometimes it seems to easy. I think a sports bike would be even worse personally because of the lack of windblast, but again this is for another discussion

·
Registered
356 Posts
Antnee said:
After 3 months I'm not so sure. I really love the bike but I actually think I may be one of those people who needs something a little less smooth, I dunno. The excitement from the blinding acceleration does eventually tire somewhat and I'm finding myself pushing harder to get my thrills. I love the bike, don't get me wrong, but I think I may have to do something to it to make it a bit more of an animal. Maybe switchable fuel maps might be in order, on a PCIII so it's still usable in really wet weather
Antnee ..what am I hearing!!!!!!are you getting a bit fed up with the CB???Tell me it`s no so!!

However I do know what you mean.
The bike is so bloody easy to ride..almost effortless in fact but I am loving it.
I don`t get my kicks from warp speeds....very conscious I have 2 kids who need me and
a licence I need to keep...
I`m happiest sitting at 80-90 mph going over the ton on overtakes or really when the road is
is clear and safe.Bear in mind we don`t have motorways up here and we don`t have very straight roads either!!!
120 is about what i happy doing although i have gone faster on other bikes.
Instead of battling with a sportsbike round corrners, i now feel smooth and controlled and for me
it is definitely "doing it"
I am lucky enough that hubby has his R1 which i can have if i fancy a blast on a sportsbike
but that won`t be often..I LOVE MY CB TOO MUCH!!!! :yay :yay

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Antnee, depends how you got to this point in your riding career- perhaps you do need something that does freedom to prison in 30 seconds!

Sure the CB feels very civilised, but right now, I need civilised, plus a bit of windblast to keep speeds down to where they need to be!! And, lets face it, this is one hell of a pretty bike - two people so far have come up to me and told me so - one said it was the best designed bike he's ever seen.

I recall sellling a Bros650, back in the days when they were pretty new and rare - biggest mistake I ever made - still regret selling this bike. Well, the CB is like that bike. It's a keeper, bloody beautiful, does what it says on the tin, and probably nothing more. But it states that the rider is an individual, not following the sportsbike legions, as well as someone who knows waht a bloody good bike is.

So I reckon you should keep the CB. And buy a 916!

Cheers

·
Registered
356 Posts
fastfd said:
Antnee, depends how you got to this point in your riding career- perhaps you do need something that does freedom to prison in 30 seconds!

Sure the CB feels very civilised, but right now, I need civilised, plus a bit of windblast to keep speeds down to where they need to be!! And, lets face it, this is one hell of a pretty bike - two people so far have come up to me and told me so - one said it was the best designed bike he's ever seen.

I recall sellling a Bros650, back in the days when they were pretty new and rare - biggest mistake I ever made - still regret selling this bike. Well, the CB is like that bike. It's a keeper, bloody beautiful, does what it says on the tin, and probably nothing more. But it states that the rider is an individual, not following the sportsbike legions, as well as someone who knows waht a bloody good bike is.

So I reckon you should keep the CB. And buy a 916!

Cheers

You must have a WHITE one then fastfd?????!!!!! ;) ;)

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Don't worry, I'm not bored of the CB, I just need to find new ways to enjoy it I think. It doesn't help that it's my every day commuter, and that entails a pretty boring 7 mile ride on some pretty straight roads. I do enjoy taking it out still when I can, and I do love it, but the run to work is a bit boring :thumbdown

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Buy a little 500cc like a ER5 or CB5 for commuting and then use the CB1 for weekends, that's why misscb1 enjoys her CB1 SOOOOOOOOO much.
Me; I get to play on the CB1 when she's working and then my R1 at the weekends (but don't tell her) :rollin

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Mrcb1 said:
Buy a little 500cc like a ER5 or CB5 for commuting and then use the CB1 for weekends, that's why misscb1 enjoys her CB1 SOOOOOOOOO much.
Me; I get to play on the CB1 when she's working and then my R1 at the weekends (but don't tell her) :rollin
Good one, we promise not to tell! :thumbup

·
Registered
155 Posts
Antnee said:
Don't worry, I'm not bored of the CB, I just need to find new ways to enjoy it I think. It doesn't help that it's my every day commuter, and that entails a pretty boring 7 mile ride on some pretty straight roads. I do enjoy taking it out still when I can, and I do love it, but the run to work is a bit boring :thumbdown
Get up 30 minutes earlier and take the 25 mile route once in a while instead!!

You have to get to work, but you dont have to go in a straight line ;)

·
Administrator
7,118 Posts
I would agree that getting a small cheap bike just for the commuting is a good idea. 7 miles each way daily isn't really ideal for a 1000cc engine and you could keep your CB for 'best' and also avoid the ravages of road salt through the winter. :thumbup :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi MissCB, no sorry, mines a lovely black one - salesman said they were faster!! I like the white Blade I saw though - not exactly a boring white is it??

7 miles ?? Consider a bicycle is if the route is safe! Should be an easy 25 minutes, get fit, and you don't need to worry bout blood/alcohol levels. Not that I do anyway. Fixies are good, but probably more dangerous than the CB - not kidding! So should provide suitable entertainment!

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way, rode the CBF500 on Friday. Hated it. Nothing wrong with the bike, just I've turned into a bike snob. I'd definitely pedal before buying one of those.....

·
Administrator
7,118 Posts
I don't agree with that,I often ride my 1982 CB250RS single and that's just as enjoyable as the 1000R and my '05 Blade-but in a different,more relaxed way. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts