Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes I park the bike for the winter (mid-Nov to mid-Feb, round here), but a warm fall encouraged me to carry my plates thru the winter too. so, I'm commuting in rain, coming home in the dark, etc... and therefore generally doing NO maintenance to the bike - just treating it as a winter hack. and there is a price to be paid for such neglect! namely, your chain gets to looks like this:

20200104_123714 by Don Serl, on Flickr

( I know, I know, and I'm ashamed of myself...)

so today it was at least dry, if not balmy, so I spent a couple hours with kerosene, a toothbrush, a little wire brush, shop towels, etc - then a hose-down, some chain lube, and... presto!

20200104_135941 by Don Serl, on Flickr

I know I need a new chain come spring, but at least I'll get there on this one now...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, I reckon the screw holding the bottom of the 'sharkfin' to the swingarm is the hardest fastener on the entire bike to get started. what a BIZARRE design!

·
Registered
590 Posts
your rollers and plate inner sides still look nice and clean :)

the outer sideplate doesn't even touch anything... so you can go for the Ratrod look if you like :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
your rollers and plate inner sides still look nice and clean :)

the outer sideplate doesn't even touch anything... so you can go for the Ratrod look if you like :)
thanks. I'll use that as my excuse!:D

p.s. there are a couple tight links, but I reckon that has more to do with 30,000 kms on the chain than winter scuzz. new chain in spring, for sure...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have salt on the roads where you are?
mostly, no. we get only a few near-freezing nights each year, and they use brine then, but my general rule is to not ride below 3C because of possible frost. and if it does snow and freeze, I'm not on the bike anyway. this was just pure wetness and neglect...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ I'm tempted to respond with a comment about sexual practises, but I suppose I should not!;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts