Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to every one from ireland, have been waiting for this bike since december and after reading mcn report, am having second thoughts.my local dealer here has told me that they are getting a demo in on the 27 or 28 and leaving my decisions till then after a ride on it. i was hoping it would be better than one of my last bikes which was a cbf 1000 which i can say was very good all round bike . also i am new to these kind of forums but all the best on your site, paddy.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
:welcome Paddy... how did I guess you might be from Ireland...

Many thanks for joining up and I hope we can collectively allay any fears you might have about the CB1000R following the MCN. The test was not good... but I would not pay too much attention to just one review... the bikes are starting to filter through now so you will be able to hear from owners themselves (who are far more important) what they think of the bike.

By the way the review is being discussed here....viewtopic.php?f=19&t=530

and the initial Marc Potter test ride is here - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=397

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Hi Paddy, :welcome

I too have been somewhat put off by the MCN review, but from what I've heard it is the only bad review from around the world. The one constant is that the suspension is not set up suitably for the way that most of us ride, but that was improved upon in the MCN test and by the sounds of it can be largely dialled out, if you know what you're doing. At the moment I'm still looking forward to mine coming, but if it's not available on launch I will test one locally and see what I actually think, and if it's not as good as I hoped then I'll cancel it. Strange way to do it I know but I never said I was normal! :rollin

·
Registered
7 Posts
paddy said:
hello to every one from ireland, have been waiting for this bike since december and after reading mcn report, am having second thoughts.my local dealer here has told me that they are getting a demo in on the 27 or 28 and leaving my decisions till then after a ride on it. i was hoping it would be better than one of my last bikes which was a cbf 1000 which i can say was very good all round bike . also i am new to these kind of forums but all the best on your site, paddy.
Hi Paddy
I responded in exactly the same way.Was a very disappointing review.Was expecting the engine to get rave reviews at least.Wondering if this test was on a pre-production bike.It seemed to be in the UK but was unable to see if this was a UK registered bike or not.I will wait until I have ridden the bike before placing an order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
paddy from tyrone

paddy here i am in tyrone i have ordered mine from allens honda looking forward to getting my hands on it sooner than the 4 july. I have ridden the 08 fireblade and the suspension on it was perfect on it and the cb1000r has the same setup as it, all though the two bikes are totally different i think with a few adjustments it will be sorted but at this time i am still taking my bike.
the cbf1000 had i detuned fireblade engine and the grunt from it was something else and i expect the cb1000r to be better than that will let you all know next week cheers paddy

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Re: paddy from tyrone

paddy said:
I have ridden the 08 fireblade and the suspension on it was perfect on it and the cb1000r has the same setup as it
Almost: the forks have different internals and the shock is a completely different unit I gather

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
View it,ride it and make your own informed decision.

Remember we are real world riders who buy what we can afford and like, not given freebies and sometimes slightly tweaked bikes than standard.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
sadbiker said:
View it,ride it and make your own informed decision.

Remember we are real world riders who buy what we can afford and like, not given freebies and sometimes slightly tweaked bikes than standard.
:thumbup Indeed... when you can ride pretty much whatever you like it must skew your opinions of actually owning a bike from day to day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MCN in cohoots with Suzuki? No, I don't think so. Who dreamt that one up? Everybody knows they're in the pay of Jawa. Get with it people; if MCN was "in" with one manufacture, do you not think the rest of the idustry would kick off. Think about it.
Advertising does not come into play with any test unless it's a sponsored page. If that's the case it would be plain to see eg if a tyre producer supplies 4 sets of tyres for a test there would be a plug of sorts. Advertising is a separate entity to editorial, besides editorial staff more often than not don't mix with ad people... summat do with snobbery mostly.
"Not in the real world"... you silly Billies. A job is a job and most journalists struggle to live on wages earnt.
"Freebies and enhanced bikes"... the only freebies are in the form of launch gifts as a memento of the occasion, plus it's the Japanese way. Blags are common, much the same in any job -- you should see the potatoes my mate gets for supplying a few broken pallets to Farmer Palmer up the road. As for enhancement, isn't that part reason why most could publications dyno the bikes?
As for MCN's review. I know for a fact the bike in question was a pre-production unit from the original launch. Honda has noted the suspension adjustments made and is investigating the possibility of incorrect spring rate or a problem with the damping system. If I recall correctly, the testers didn't slate the engine but marvelled out how well it pulled, and cleanly with it.
It's funny how the biggest complaints of a test come from 1) someone who has put a deposit down, 2) someone from a forum, 3) a combination of 2 & 3.
The price probably wasn't mentioned because it's a tired old way of saying there's not a lot more to be said and I'm just making up shite for the sake of it. Besides, prices are printed to get our own brains working -- dunno bout you but having the obvious pointed out to me can be a bit tactless/annoying. :stupid :rollin

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Ha ha, welcome Oldfookr :hello Everybody is entitled to their own opinions and conspiracy theories regarding the press will never go away. Somewhere on here, someone (don't remember who) noted that Niall McKenzie even rated the CB, despite being a Yam and Suzuki man and hating Honda. I know that the main reviewer in this MCN test has recently had the current Hornet 600 on test, as well as a CBR600RR and a Fireblade (2006 I think it was) and rated them all if I remember correctly, so I don't believe he's anything but genuine. Personally I read MCN every week and I don't have a problem with any of them (except it seems the inability to match photos/comments and articles these days - did anyone see the article about MZ last week? The photos all refer to MV. Or the picture of Scott Redding, on a 250 looking like Eugene Laverty? Keeps happening!) It doesn't stop people who believed that the CB1000R would be more amazing than X or Y being disappointed and wanting to vent a little when someone says it's not though

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Sorry but when MCN so called Journalists spend more time playing with Photo shop to get a scoop story then it takes a long time for them to get the credibility back. This year the MCN has been full of errors all over the place, what happened to proof readers!!!

If they had such a issue with the CB and it's handling then why didn't they get it checked to ensure it wasn't a problem with that bike. It does happend. Look at the recent tyre test with the 1098 where ducati withdrew the bike as they found the tyres being tested were causing all sorts of problems.

As for freebies, where do you think the bikes and all the bits for these bikes come from- free air.

Its a shame that when they do these group tests they don't get a couple of Jo Public real world riders to test as well who's only incentive for the day is a free ride and free coffe and cakes.

Having read a few write up's over the years from MCN on Ducatis I have a very good idea on how biased some articles can be, the best one was a 6 foot Journalist stating how uncomfortable the monsters were to ride. Yer right.

Anyway according to MCN the Replacement to the CB900 was coming years ago. It even had scoop pictures as well.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Anyway according to MCN the Replacement to the CB900 was coming years ago. It even had scoop pictures as well.
Yes, I remember them well... and they looked nothing like the CB1000R... "this is what it might be like" articles are as good as useless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree there is absolutely no reason why so many mistakes are made. 'Subs' or 'proof' readers may not be motorcyclists, so if they don't know what they're dealing with a voice should be raised. At ht end of the day it's all down to the men who sign the stories off. Ducked if I would want to do the job. A bloke who used to drink in our local pub was something to do with Maxpower (car mag for hoodies with MkII Fiestas) advertising and he said monthly magazines were always last minute to the printing press people. MCN is a weekly and must be tough going. Not defending them, but nothing is what it seems especially when the grass is greener on the other side and taller to mask it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
They would never make it working for a daily newspaper would they, How many mistakes seen in those papers ?

I agree it is a tough job but they are paid to do and and attempt to offer a weekly paper to the mass biker public. Yes it offers a lot, and I do buy it weekly, except at xmas when its a overpriced slip of a thing.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Yeah, winter is harsh, but I don't like to miss a thing, and I prefer it to the websites (MCNs site is AWFUL)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts