Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good to all, a few days ago I noticed that in every outing I have with the bike, the next day with the cold bike loses some refrigerant from the storage tank, it was always in the maximum part and is now in the middle of the superior and inferior and I am very worried, I hope someone can help me or something similar has happened to him.
It's a 2014 cb1000r and it has 7900 miles, thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the bike is hot the level goes up a bit but when it cools the low level but lowers each time a little more, the previous week that you check is the maximum and now in the maximum and minimum limit

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
First: it should vary between hot and cold. Water expands and contracts when hot and cold. The engine does too. So water capacity changes, hence the expansion tank: or, as you called it, the storage tank.

Changes in level are expected.

If you somehow have more fluid than is needed, it is permitted to escape, so if the level goes down a little, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

But if it keeps going down below the minimum mark, something might be wrong.

What does your oil look like in the sight glass? If it is milky. Your head gasket needs replaced because water is getting past the gasket into the crank case.

Otherwise maybe you have a leak?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I understand that varies depending on the temperature but every time I use the bike lowers a little more, I will check for leaks, today look at the oil and this normal has no signs of mixing, I am very worried do not know where you are losing

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
When hot.

Stop engine and wait a while. 5 minutes. Restart engine. Do you see white smoke from exhaust? That would be water vapour. Again suggesting head gasket.

Can you sit the bike on the stand and let it run for 10-20 mins? It will get plenty warm and maybe you see a drip of coolant somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The motorcycle also does not overheat at 215 ° F the fans turn on and the temperature starts to go down, nor do I see white smoke in cold and hot.
Today I will get to disassemble the bike to detect leaks, I hope only that and not the cylinder head gasket as you indicate.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,057 Posts
If any of the hose clips are loose and there is a small water leak you should be able to see a stain from the anti-freeze as it dries.

Also check around the drain plug for leaks. With such a low mileage it's unlikely to be the head gasket unless the engine has been overheated some time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If when dismantling the motorcycle I will see the hoses and I hope to find the leak, if it seems more strange since I bought it, it was suddenly that this week I noticed that the coolant level started to drop and only when the use.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,057 Posts
When in use the system builds up internal pressure so something that leaks when hot may not leak when cold.

In fact the opposite happens and air can be drawn back into the system as it cools.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I told them to disarm the motorcycle and I did not find visible leaks and I even tried another radiator cap and still with the problem, today in the morning I use it to test and now I fix and under almost 1 cm, you think it's a joint of stock? why I fix the oil and there is no mixture and no white smoke comes out of the exhaust

·
Registered
8 Posts
My water pump housing started to leak a 2500 mile's, I went ahead it fixed it myself with a couple of new gaskets. Just something to look for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts