Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Loose 2.4kg / 5.3lbs from your bike for $150 US + Postage

Hi Guys,

So as the title states loose 2.4kg by simply changing your battery from the OEM fat 3kg 12v Battery to a 8 cell LiFePo4 battery

Some of you maybe scared of something new and i can verify 2 things

1) the seller MOTY Design - 8 cell battery QD is reputable, he has been selling these for years now, i got one of the first ones he designed over 2 years back

2) the battery is fantastic, i have been using it for 2 years on my CBR600RR. Never missed a beat and i ride my bike every cold, rain, hail and or shine day.

So given my CBR is for track use only i decided to place it into my CB1000R, and decided to give some pics and advice on it all, as the weight saving can help with this massive lard of a bike..lol And think of the space saving also

There are 2 options to choose from the get go- keep the original battery terminals or cutt them off and install flat straight ones. I chose the 2nd option. you can leave the original terminals on if you like, i just wanted a flatter terminal and come latter on you can always bend them to be like the original ones

So Tools Required
Cable Lugs
Cable crimper/wire stripper/cable cutter
Spanner 10mm
Socket/ratchet 10mm
Allen Keys
Rubber strip
Rubber matting ($2 dollar store used in kitchen area)
Lighter or butane gas torch for the heat shrink wrap supplied with the battery (not in pic)
Heat proof gloves (not in pic) shown below though
Zip ties, sorry i forgot to place in the pic

Old Battery 3 Kg worth

New Battery the 8 cell

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So if you choosing to cutt the wire make sure your cutting the least amount of cable as possible, and install the cable lugs simple enough.

Bolt on the quick release cable to the new lugs, dont forget your PCIII or PCV negative cable as well if you have one installed.
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN JUST YET, JUST FINGER TIGHT this will help you adjust the cable especially the black given this is longer then the red to fit correctly in place.
once you place this in the battery and place the battery in its place then tighten the bolts so limit any further movements.

Clean the battery tray from excess dirt and crap, then place the self adhesive rubber matting that came with the battery

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have your rubber tubing placed over the cables and place zip ties at the end , and have butane torch heat on the tubing (TEST THE HEAT DISTANCE IT THROWS OUT.. You do not want to melt your bike, i used a heat matt and a wet rag underneath so nothing got burnt, you can use a lighter as it is a lot safer doing it with this) I made it so it was weather proof and sealed the edges as you can see on the black wire/terminal.

Next this is only if you have a PCIII or PCV, it saves rubbing and friction against the battery and to be sure the buttons do not get hit and stuffs up your map, as it does happen.

Cutt the matt to size, along with your rubber strip

Connect your battery and check it works, so start your engines...lol once confirmed it works continue placing your battery within the battery area, place down the rubber matter and place your PCIII/PCV on top

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

It all fits nice and snuggly, if you do not have a PCIII/PCV you have 2 options to either go and buy some thick rubber piece to fill the void as the OEM rubber strip that holds the battery down now seems long, or if your adventurous you will need to drill a hole close down to the shock to place a nut and bolt and affix the strap to this for a firm fitment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To much hazzle for 2,5 kg IMO. And don't like the idea of cutting the original cables. How come he can't make a smaller battery with regular poles? But I like the idea of making more room in the battery compartment, so that you dont need to have f.ex the power-commander in the back. But should be possible to get a "normal" battery in a smaller size?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey, go to the link and one would see he does them with posts as well, and you don't have to cutt the cable. I just did to make it a straight connection. End of the day your avg battery lasts 3-4years so why spend $150 on the fat original one when you can buy a lighter/smaller one is more the point.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Great post! :clap:clap:clap
I think it's a great mod for people with a PCV. Saves a bit of space under the seat.
Per dollar, you cannot lose more weight than this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts