Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
The forward 3 leds have a little silver "cup", make sure the cup is under the leds when mounted.

The leds at the front, non connector end, are the low beam. Some of the light hits the cup and goes up, bounces off the reflector onto the ground in front of you.

Hope that makes sense.
Got it, thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Got it installed. My, my it's is very bright indeed! They'll see me better now for sure and what a difference when riding on a dark street!

·
Registered
3,930 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That's not airflow, it's heat dissipation. You are assuming it's air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got one Nighteye H4 shipping on the way
But just for clarification, does anyone use this Nighteye H4 and have any problems with the battery or regulator/rectifier ?

I was told one time that for any bike that is designed to have headlight always on (like CB1000r), that headlight is also used as a "power dissipator" to continuously drain ~55/60W from the rectifier. If the headlight power is reduced to ~25W (change to LED bulb), then those 30W remaining from that 55w continuously above will go "no-where", and, maybe pushed back to the battery and kill the battery after longtime

It seems silly, but is that true ??

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got one Nighteye H4 shipping on the way
But just for clarification, does anyone use this Nighteye H4 and have any problems with the battery or regulator/rectifier ?

I was told one time that for any bike that is designed to have headlight always on (like CB1000r), that headlight is also used as a "power dissipator" to continuously drain ~55/60W from the rectifier. If the headlight power is reduced to ~25W (change to LED bulb), then those 30W remaining from that 55w continuously above will go "no-where", and, maybe pushed back to the battery and kill the battery after longtime

It seems silly, but is that true ??
Any excess voltage that the regulator sees is dumped/shunted to earth down the green wire in the diagram and converted to heat, hence the heatsink type shape of the rectifier/regulator.
If it isn't maintaining it's set voltage then it isn't working as intended.
You could maybe argue that it may be making the regulator hotter by shunting more voltage because of the reduced power draw, that is until you turn on your added heated grips/phone charger/etc.
There's no specifications on the reg/rec to see if 30W is a big deal or not.

regulator.jpg
regulator1.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any excess voltage that the regulator sees is dumped/shunted to earth down the green wire in the diagram and converted to heat, hence the heatsink type shape of the rectifier/regulator.
If it isn't maintaining it's set voltage then it isn't working as intended.
You could maybe argue that it may be making the regulator hotter by shunting more voltage because of the reduced power draw, that is until you turn on your added heated grips/phone charger/etc.
There's no specifications on the reg/rec to see if 30W is a big deal or not.

View attachment 43930
View attachment 43938
So is it safer if when we change bulb from 55w to 25w, we add something 30w (heated grip, phone chargers, etc) to compensate to this power reduction

Rather than just let those 30w go back to the rectifier and make it operate hotter, and may cause some problems to the rectifier after long, long run (10k km, 20k km) ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sure the regulator/rectifier has a decent range, but the manual doesn't list any specs, all I could find is that it's a SHINDENGEN sh750aa and is also used on the CB600 series.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Right.....so these bulbs have been in some peoples bikes for a while now. Any issues....? Still worth buying? No reg/rec problems? I have heard based on this thread that running these takes the load off from the normal bulbs? I know this thread goes into detail about voltage dump....but anything that helps the bike out..I'm all for. TIA.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Right.....so these bulbs have been in some peoples bikes for a while now. Any issues....? Still worth buying? No reg/rec problems? I have heard based on this thread that running these takes the load off from the normal bulbs? I know this thread goes into detail about voltage dump....but anything that helps the bike out..I'm all for. TIA.
All I can say is the same bulb is still in the bike and I haven't had to change the rectifier :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all. I fitted an expensive 12 computer fan under my regulator/rectifier. Expensive as it can be horizontal and still have a good fan life. I hung it using shock cord and all is good. I used to have a vfr750 f , my friend had a cb100rr and the reg/rec always is an issue due to the poor positioning in regards to effectively dumping heat. Fitting a fan solved those issues. regards YEAH!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts