Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
05 919; 14 CB1000R; 18 CB1000R
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long read:

To start off, I lowsided this past Saturday afternoon while riding through the Sequoias National Park in California. Entered a posted 15 mph curve at 15 mph and hit a patch of gravel/sand when I went to make a line correction which brought the rear tire over the patch. It was a hairpin uphill curve which I was taking the whole ride easy to begin with because I was wearing jeans and had a passenger. Thankfully we both had jackets, gloves, helmets, and boots on.

The slide was quick. Once the rear tire gave I didn't even have time to pull my left leg up so it got pinned underneath. Since we were sliding towards a small cliff I tried to reach for my passenger first thing, but couldn't feel her there. After that I decided grab the bike and dig both boots in to slow the slide. The bottom of the bike caught the edge which brought enough pressure off the front for me to get my left leg out, but not enough that the bike went sliding down thankfully.

I grabbed the bars and turned to look for my passenger. She is up, walking around, and no holes in her jeans or jacket that I could see. She's just hopped up on adrenaline. I asked if she was okay. She gave me a thumbs up and asked if I'm okay. Told her just some road rash on my left knee, but need help getting the bike up from teetering. As we were struggling, an elderly couple in a Jeep stopped to help us. Thank God for them because that bike was not budging either way. So we got it back on the road, and the bike looks fine. Engine bars and rear slider took the damage.

Then I take a look at my knee....my entire kneecap is saying hi to the world for the first time. His name is Jeff and he loved the view in the Sequoias. After that it was a long ride in a Jeep to find a park ranger, got cleaned up, bandaged, and was informed it was a 2 hour wait for an ambulance. So since I could still walk and bend my knee, we decided to ride the bike to the ER instead. Which was only an hours ride. Made it there no issues. ER was reasonably quick. And the doc was able to stitch me up instead of having to graft my skin. So now my left leg is stuck in an immobilizer until the stitches come out. By the way, canes are fun.

Other than actually laying the bike down while I had a passenger, the thing I'm mad at myself for is not purchasing a pair of riding jeans with knee protection. They would've saved me a trip to the ER and I wouldn't by straight legging it around my house trying to help raise my 6 month old son. Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy my passenger is just fine and the bike pretty much unscathed. I just hate that my slowest lowside is my worst/longest recovering motorcycle injury to date. So do yourself a favor and get you some pants with knee protection. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
448 Posts
I wear these under jeans when commuting and under my leathers on my SC77 S1.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have those, but I gave them to a buddy since I have riding leathers with knee protection. Those aren't bad at all. I'm going to try the jeans with them built in and see how they fit.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
448 Posts
I used to have those, but I gave them to a buddy since I have riding leathers with knee protection. Those aren't bad at all. I'm going to try the jeans with them built in and see how they fit.
I remove the the knee protection from my leather race suits and use the knee/shin guards instead. Same with my articulated back protector.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remove the the knee protection from my leather race suits and use the knee/shin guards instead. Same with my articulated back protector.
I always upgrade the back protection, but never felt a need to swap out the knee/shin protection in the pants. If I may ask, why do you swap them out?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
448 Posts
I always upgrade the back protection, but never felt a need to swap out the knee/shin protection in the pants. If I may ask, why do you swap them out?
The Alpinestars are more comfortable and since they're attached to my leg instead of the leathers, are always in the optimum place for max protection no matter how my legs/knees are oriented

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Alpinestars are more comfortable and since they're attached to my leg instead of the leathers, are always in the optimum place for max protection no matter how my legs/knees are oriented
Ah. Both my pants are Alpinestars and they are pretty snug and keep the protection in place pretty well.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
448 Posts
Ah. Both my pants are Alpinestars and they are pretty snug and keep the protection in place pretty well.
I have three different one piece race suits. I remove the back protection from all three as well as the knee protection. The knee/shin guards and back protector work best for me on and off the track.

·
Registered
181 Posts
glad you're kinda ok.
any damage to knee, tendons?
i learned this the hard way. crashed 15 years ago. although the riding jeans took care of the slide, i wasn't wearing knee protection. i can't use my right knee properly since then.

please don't advise riders to wear regular jeans again:
@919toCB1R:
"Regular jeans aren't bad to ride in. As long as they aren't designer jeans that are paper thin and already "worn" with fashion holes. They will offer decent protection for at least one slide at normal road speeds. If you take a slide at 90 mph, you definitely need to shift your weight around during the slide. They will get eaten through rather quickly."

wish you a speedy recovery 🦵🚑🛵 no cane emoji

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@919toCB1R glad to hear this was not worse for you and passenger.
Thanks. Both of us were counting our lucky stars that day.

glad you're kinda ok.
any damage to knee, tendons?
i learned this the hard way. crashed 15 years ago. although the riding jeans took care of the slide, i wasn't wearing knee protection. i can't use my right knee properly since then.

please don't advise riders to wear regular jeans again:
@919toCB1R:
"Regular jeans aren't bad to ride in. As long as they aren't designer jeans that are paper thin and already "worn" with fashion holes. They will offer decent protection for at least one slide at normal road speeds. If you take a slide at 90 mph, you definitely need to shift your weight around during the slide. They will get eaten through rather quickly."

wish you a speedy recovery 🦵🚑🛵 no cane emoji
Trust me, I will be completely recommending against them. Should've been clearer in that thread though. Wasn't really advising jeans. Was more going for the "there are worse things than jeans" stance. For 19 years in the Navy I've been telling my sailors that if they are going to ride bare minimum rules, to at least wear jeans. All the Navy requires for pants is that they are full length. I cringe everytime I see a rider in uniform. Most are made of synthetic materials that are more likely to melt instead of wear down during a slide. I do highly encourage them to get leather riding pants or chaps for spirited rides or cross country rides. Now that I've been slapped across the knee, I can show them that even at parking lot / subdivision speeds lacking knee protection can be a big mistake.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah, initial x-rays and CT scans revealed no damage to my knee or tendons and no blood vessel damage. I'm going in today for follow-up x-rays.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Long read:

To start off, I lowsided this past Saturday afternoon while riding through the Sequoias National Park in California. Entered a posted 15 mph curve at 15 mph and hit a patch of gravel/sand when I went to make a line correction which brought the rear tire over the patch. It was a hairpin uphill curve which I was taking the whole ride easy to begin with because I was wearing jeans and had a passenger. Thankfully we both had jackets, gloves, helmets, and boots on.

The slide was quick. Once the rear tire gave I didn't even have time to pull my left leg up so it got pinned underneath. Since we were sliding towards a small cliff I tried to reach for my passenger first thing, but couldn't feel her there. After that I decided grab the bike and dig both boots in to slow the slide. The bottom of the bike caught the edge which brought enough pressure off the front for me to get my left leg out, but not enough that the bike went sliding down thankfully.

I grabbed the bars and turned to look for my passenger. She is up, walking around, and no holes in her jeans or jacket that I could see. She's just hopped up on adrenaline. I asked if she was okay. She gave me a thumbs up and asked if I'm okay. Told her just some road rash on my left knee, but need help getting the bike up from teetering. As we were struggling, an elderly couple in a Jeep stopped to help us. Thank God for them because that bike was not budging either way. So we got it back on the road, and the bike looks fine. Engine bars and rear slider took the damage.

Then I take a look at my knee....my entire kneecap is saying hi to the world for the first time. His name is Jeff and he loved the view in the Sequoias. After that it was a long ride in a Jeep to find a park ranger, got cleaned up, bandaged, and was informed it was a 2 hour wait for an ambulance. So since I could still walk and bend my knee, we decided to ride the bike to the ER instead. Which was only an hours ride. Made it there no issues. ER was reasonably quick. And the doc was able to stitch me up instead of having to graft my skin. So now my left leg is stuck in an immobilizer until the stitches come out. By the way, canes are fun.

Other than actually laying the bike down while I had a passenger, the thing I'm mad at myself for is not purchasing a pair of riding jeans with knee protection. They would've saved me a trip to the ER and I wouldn't by straight legging it around my house trying to help raise my 6 month old son. Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy my passenger is just fine and the bike pretty much unscathed. I just hate that my slowest lowside is my worst/longest recovering motorcycle injury to date. So do yourself a favor and get you some pants with knee protection. You won't regret it.
Glad to hear you are fiine after your off. That road through the red wood park is fantastic one of he best places i have ever been .Hope to get there this June if they allow us out stay safe buddy look after yourself.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,673 Posts
^^^ just to put this comment in context, Steve lives at the bottom of Mt Hamilton Rd; so if you ever want a 'guide' on one of the twisiest pieces of California tarmac in existence, get ahold of him. just don't try to run his pace... :D my friend and I were wise enough to avoid that trap; and we survived just fine... ( what a road, btw!)

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,673 Posts
p.s. glad you're just 'scuffed' 919. I've had a couple low-speed offs myself, and they can happen incredibly quickly, can't they. one moment, you're riding along gracefully - next moment, you're sliding along the pavement. p.p.s i'm a fan of leather jeans, myself. they look fine in the small towns that I frequent on my travels ( as opposed to 'track pants'), and they stand up to pavement waaay better than ANY fabric, including the famed Kelvar! plus I feel like a rock star, wearing leather pants...

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
448 Posts
I've had a couple low-speed offs myself, and they can happen incredibly quickly, can't they. one moment, you're riding along gracefully - next moment, you're sliding along the pavement.
Pro tip: Unless you're absolutely certain the road is clean, stay on the car tire paths

1 - 20 of 22 Posts