Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would invest in professionally fitted paint protection film. Whatever it’s made from, the clearcoat is soft and it does scratch easily.

·
Registered
05 919; 14 CB1000R; 18 CB1000R
171 Posts
I actually already have rust at the weld joints at the back center of my tank. The seat covers it when installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read that the paint is very easy to scratch and that even the friction of the knees on the tank wears out the paint. It seems that the paint on the engine is also very fragile. It seems that this is because of the stricter pollution standards.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I ordered a black edition 2021 and after reading a lot I am a little worried.
I HAD A 2012 CB1000R IN THE EXTREME COLOURS NEVER HAD A PAINT PROBLEM 26K MLS .I NOW HAVE A 2019 IN SILVER AGAIN VERY PLEASED WITH THE FINISH.TO BE FAIR TO HONDA IV'E HAD THEM ALL OVER THE LAST 30 YRS STILL THINK THEY ARE THE BEST BUILT .MY BMW'S WERE CRAP COMPARED TO THE HONDAS.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I HAD A 2012 CB1000R IN THE EXTREME COLOURS NEVER HAD A PAINT PROBLEM 26K MLS .I NOW HAVE A 2019 IN SILVER AGAIN VERY PLEASED WITH THE FINISH.TO BE FAIR TO HONDA IV'E HAD THEM ALL OVER THE LAST 30 YRS STILL THINK THEY ARE THE BEST BUILT .MY BMW'S WERE CRAP COMPARED TO THE HONDAS.
NO NEED TO SHOUT.

Pre-2018 the paint was different. I had a 2014. Wasn't able to find a scratch after 27k miles..

2018 onwards the paint is different compound from earlier model.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's weird. Did those rust colored spots get painted? Could that rust have flowed from another area and just accumulated in those spots? Have you tried to clean up those spots?
I looked for spots where rust could flown from and don't see any other spots of rust anywhere. Going to tackle the rust clean up hopefully today.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
404 Posts
Here is a video where he talks about the cheap paint among other things.
Oh yeah, I've seen that review on one bike. Yup, that can happen when you're changing bars and mounting a bunch of shit on your bike without covering and protecting the tank. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I looked for spots where rust could flown from and don't see any other spots of rust anywhere. Going to tackle the rust clean up hopefully today.
Mine developed some surface rust there during its first winter - it cleaned up easily enough and now has ACF50 on it, but shouldn't really happen in the first place.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine developed some surface rust there during its first winter - it cleaned up easily enough and now has ACF50 on it, but shouldn't really happen in the first place.
I completely agree. I had and CB900F (919) from 2006-2017, round year round and in all weather conditions. Never had rust on any of the painted surfaces. Quite upsetting that Honda has either skimmped or made a horrible change in their paint process.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts