Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the issue, I have a 2021 black edition with 4000 km on it. Over the last couple of days the abs would start flashing until I shut the bike down and then it was off when I started it again. I thought maybe it was because i did a wheelie because i think I read that some bikes with one wheel spinning different for too long could cause that to happen. But today while in the middle of a ride the bike stalled and wouldn't start for a couple of minutes. When it did I had an engine light. The bike drove fine so I rode it home because I was on the other end of town, as I got closer to home the abs light started flashing again, the screen would flash on/off and then restart while the headlight was dimming at the same time and the engine was cutting in and out as I pulled into the driveway. Could it be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere? I'll need to bring it in of course, I did my own oil change at 1000km but didn't bring the bike in for any inspection I hope that doesn't void the warranty or something? I also put an sc project S1 black slip on yesterday too but I'll take that off when I bring the bike in of course. Anybody with any ideas?

·
Registered
100 Posts
... Anybody with any ideas?
Some electrical issue.
On today's stock most glitches are cured with careful examination of contacts, switches and sensors.

Electrical contact cleaner replaces the screwdriver, hammer, baling wire and duck tape of the grand-parents.

Understanding the wiring diagram is now a must.
Try to find which cable or connection is loose corroded or shorted.

Unless you nicked some cable down on the RH side changing exhaust can won't wake up no electrical gremlin.

ABS sensors sure don't like being shaken in wheelies or extreme situations.
Riding it in wet dirt or grass will convince you the CB1000R BE ABS is not really a plus.

A cheap culprit often overlooked can be the side-stand switch!

Also for the 600mi service
-here it's better stamped by an Honda dealer or the 5yrs warranty might not stick-
the wrench worked for more than an hour and checking things against the shop manual specs
pointed some bolts that needed retorque.
Among them some cables.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well turns out just a loose battery connection. I’ve never had a loose connection give me an engine light before but the positive was loose and when I tightened it and started the bike the engine light was off and it ran perfectly, just happy it was something simple.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well turns out just a loose battery connection...
Heiße Magister, heiße Doktor gar

Good job

Welcome to the brave new world where the electricity fairy rules.
And the Prince of Darkness Lucas spells Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R ABS BLACK EDITION
112 Posts
Well turns out just a loose battery connection. I’ve never had a loose connection give me an engine light before but the positive was loose and when I tightened it and started the bike the engine light was off and it ran perfectly, just happy it was something simple.
Morale of the lesson - Every time you do a wheelie, you should do a stoppie :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts