Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Thanks for the add.
Just purchased a 2008 CB1000R after a long sabbatical off bikes. (CBX1000 '82-'86, SP2 2008-2012), I'm 60 and wanted a "straight-up" Honda. First ride i was surprised and how much you ON it, no biggie. Seat height is too high (5' 7"), just purchased a 30mm spring seat height reducer. (does anyone have any experience with these?). 800mm seat height sounds good to me. looking forward to some touring, can anyone assist in the best value luggage rack for bungy ties around a touring bag on the pillion seat? Thanks very much. :)
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Wheel Fuel tank

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello Hydro, and welcome to the group! Congrats on your new-to-you CB, it looks to be in very nice shape! You could have a good upholstery shop take an inch or more height out of the seat, and change the profile so it's narrower at the front to mid-section. That will allow your legs to extend down vs. out. And sure, it will take a bit of comfort away from the seat. A shorter shock spring at the rear will be stiffer also.

I'll second Arcimboldi on his motion for luggage. Check the underside of your pill pad, there may be some loops for bungee cord hooks. A luggage rack will be more secure, and easier to use tho.

I think you find this forum populated with older members. Our motto is: "Old Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Good Looks!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Mate

Since eon I carry a tank bag plus bungee mesh in the back if needed.
More than plenty enough for touring.

But ... touring DNA on the CB1000R?
But ... touring DNA on the CB1000R??
Why not, trundle along, grunt to pass, wind in your...everywhere :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, look forward to it. (old school biker, the company of a constant wind whistle around the ears.. AAHHH!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Hydro, and welcome to the group! Congrats on your new-to-you CB, it looks to be in very nice shape! You could have a good upholstery shop take an inch or more height out of the seat, and change the profile so it's narrower at the front to mid-section. That will allow your legs to extend down vs. out. And sure, it will take a bit of comfort away from the seat. A shorter shock spring at the rear will be stiffer also.

I'll second Arcimboldi on his motion for luggage. Check the underside of your pill pad, there may be some loops for bungee cord hooks. A luggage rack will be more secure, and easier to use tho.

I think you find this forum populated with older members. Our motto is: "Old Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Good Looks!"
Hi, thanks for your input, the height reducer is actually a spring retainer ring that extends the spring downward, (so same static loaded preload), so will increase the caster trail, and slow down the steering, with the option of sliding the forks up though the triple trees (to decrease trail again).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for your reply and advice. The bike has low km, 11K, and done very little work, not sure about the red bull livery, but different. Cheers. :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Hi, thanks for your input, the height reducer is actually a spring retainer ring that extends the spring downward, (so same static loaded preload), so will increase the caster trail, and slow down the steering, with the option of sliding the forks up though the triple trees (to decrease trail again).
Personally, I'd go to a lot of effort to a oid messing with the standard geometry. Lowering the bike so much will not just slow down steering but also rob you of a lot of ground clearance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Brave to tour on that bike IMHO. My ass could not take the strain.

It's fairly comfortable for an hour, but after that the firmness of seat & suspension combined make it less pleasant.

I see the CB as more of a less committed option (than a sportsbike) - good performance balance with some comfort.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,753 Posts
hey Hydro, don't let the doubters dissuade you from touring on the CB. i did well over 100,000 kms on the first one, and I'm on the second now. I think it's ideal! no big frikking fairings. lively as hell on the turn-in in the canyons. upright, so comfy for many hours. add a screen (MRI is best) and you can cruise at 85/140 all day. touring is 'my thing' so I modded Givi racks to fit the CB (earlier generation) and fitted hard bags, but if you're not that committed, it's fine to do as you suggest and travel with a tank bag and bungied 'dry bag' on the pillion seat. I used a Deuter daypack, cuz the material is superb (PVC laminate), and all seams are welded, not sewn. Kayaking drybags offer the same benefits. you don't actually need a rack!
back in the day, i did this with my SV650, pre-CB1000R. here's the general idea. long slotted rubber strap peg-to-peg, then just attach the bungie where appropriate.

Water Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts