Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long, LONG time ago, Dan and Ant decided that it was too much for the two of them to run the site and they appointed a number of moderators to help with the day-to-day running of the site and keep an eye on the many posts created every day. Since then, the only changes to the moderator team have been when people have stopped visiting the site as they've moved on. Now, the only active moderator is Dave H, and while he's doing an excellent job, the site has grown phenomenally since he was appointed and it's all a bit too much for such a small team.

To help to develop the site further, for the benefit of all, we decided that we need a council of members who have a wide-range of opinions on how things are handled and don't necessarily all subscribe to the opinion that Dan, Ant and Dave have been doing a perfect job. So, we approached a number of members, and we're pleased to announce that most agreed to join us to help keep the site on track for the benefit of everyone here. The admin team will consult with the council before making any significant decisions and likewise the council will provide feedback to the administrators if they disagree with the way that something is handled. What we're establishing is a diplomatic voice for the members, and the council are authorised to over-rule any decision or policy established by the admin team, new and old, where a majority vote is cast.

The council also has a second role, and that is of moderator. All councillors are authorised to edit, move, lock or delete posts and threads as necessary, in the same way that the admin team and moderators always have. It's rare that we do as we prefer a hands-off approach, but while that policy has served us well in the past, it is far from perfect. We hope that with the wider opinion of the council that we'll be able to get a better idea of how the site needs to be developed, and how to handle any issues that arise. In some cases this will mean more action than we currently take, whereas in others it will mean less.

The council members are by no means fixed, in that any can step down at any time, and others can be appointed also. There is no fixed number of council seats; we may add many more, yet we may reduce numbers again as people move on.

So, who are the team now?

• Dan - Site founder and Administrator[/*:m]
  • Antnee - Administrator[/*:m]
  • Dave H - Senior Moderator[/*:m]
  • Gargoyle - Councillor and Moderator[/*:m]
  • Jon.F - Councillor and Moderator[/*:m]
  • Lardy - Councillor and Moderator[/*:m]
  • Squidger - Councillor and Moderator[/*:m]
  • The Gamekeeper - Councillor and Moderator[/*:m]
  • FBG - Councillor and Moderator[/*:m]
  • Mel B - Councillor and Moderator[/*:m]
Like your local government, you should be able to approach a councillor and ask that they represent any issue that you have in front of the greater council, if you so choose. You can still report a post that you think is inappropriate by clicking the
in the corner of every post, or you can go directly to a councillor. Even if your problem is with a councillor, or an administrator. That's why we have a team and aren't trying to handle everything ourselves.

I hope you'll join us in welcoming the new team, and in giving them your every support. For many, this is a completely new experience and they'll take a steady start, rather than hitting the ground running. We're just glad to have them all on board :thumbup

:welcome all

·
Administrator
3,655 Posts
To those of you who I have not crossed paths with, I am Mel b – the original Leeds “spice boy”.

I have been a forum member since June 2010 when I made the move from Hornet to CB1000R and never looked back.

I, with the help of other "council" members, have been asked to help bring the site forward.

With this in mind all members are encouraged to participate fully and raise any issues they see fit.

This can only happen properly if there is a flow if information from Members to Admin and the other way also.

If I can be of help to anyone please let me know.

·
Administrator
3,655 Posts
Your missing the bigger picture blade - the forum is to be improved to the benefit of all members yourself included mate.

·
Banned
6,335 Posts
rainman said:
:clap A great idea with a good spread of decent folk on the council. 100% behind you.. :thumbup
At least they see some sense and didnt pick you,,

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
I'm Adrian and some of you know me some don't but I hope we can all work together to make this site bigger and better than it is at the moment and draw in more members.

Cheers :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Well :hello

I'm sure most have already come across me from time to time.

Tracey is me name and not always game. :D (joking with a mix of words)

Please feel free to contact me if you have any concerns and we will try and help with any issues raised.

I'm a good listener/reader and a happy person and like to see happy smiley people.

Some will like me some will dislike me.

Life is for living, lets all try and get along....... :blah :blah :blah :kiss

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Hi Folks

Just a short intro.

Names Squidger (Fred). I have been a member since late 2010 and joined because I was soon to become a CB1000R owner and saw the site as a good place for like minded people to liaise and share info etc. I have so far enjoyed the site and have learned loads as well as occasionally helping others with my limited knowledge. Forums like this make users lives easier and more enjoyable. Informing owners and enthusiasts of relevant info regarding something that we all have in common. Biking. Having read the topic header you will be aware of the recent changes and as a council member I will be more than happy to assist in any way I can. Please feel free to make us aware of any problems you may have so that we can adapt the site to alleviate them and improve things for all concerned.Any praise will also be greatly appreciated ;) Our aim is to keep things running as smoothly as possible. Nothing sinister. Your input will help us to do that. Thanks.

·
Banned
5,355 Posts
Hi, im Mr Nice, im 5t 10 brown eyes, im a smuggler and also like pressing wild flowers and stroking small puppy dogs, looking for like minded.........ooops wrong forum :emb

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
No no your in the right forum.

The perfect match for you is..... Bla__.

:taunt

Bit of a predictable answer though.... so that is prob a FAIL on my behalf.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Maybe your on the right track with this ,but i thought council representatives were elected not by those in charge but by the people they represent.Well at least that happens in a democracy ! I have nothing personal against any of the ''chosen ones''but surely we should have had the opportunity to decide who these represenatives are, and been consulted as to what was going on. If your attitude to this is 'if you dont like it sod off' to quote Antnee,then so be it.

To qoute Abraham Lincoln.. ''Nearly all men can stand adversity,but if you want to test a mans character,give him power''

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Hi... Most of you have read my rants, and brilliant jokes.... :blah :blah

Admin have asked for my input into this forum, which I'm glad to do.

If anyone has gripes/ grievances about any issues, I'll try to help out if I can.

And just for the record....... I'm not on anyones 'side'......... I will try to look at any issue/problem from everyones point of view, and do my utmost to resolve any disputes amicably.

Pete.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Ghostrider; unfortunately the winter is not a good time to stage any kind of election process on a site like this, purely because we have such little traffic compared to the summer months and the vote would not be representative of the membership as a whole. We also approached a wide range of members to see if they were interested and some turned us down, which is a shame. We didn't select anyone that we thought was "on our side", and I hope that's evident from the people who have signed up.

And although you are correct that a democracy is built from people elected by the people they represent, the first government in any democracy is usually always put in place by a ruling power as an interim government, with elections to follow once the area has stabilised. This is no different. Dan, myself and Dave agreed that these guys would benefit the site (and not us directly) and we asked them to join us. The list on page one shows the guys who opted to join us and these guys are also aware of those who chose not to. But will we have elections in future? Possibly, if we feel that the council isn't working, or if numbers dwindle. No reason why not. But for now, let's give it time and see how it goes :thumbup Nothing is set in stone :smoke

Just for the record, if anyone is doubting our motives (and I'm not suggesting that anyone is), we have done this to get a wider range of opinions expressed in the admin team. We have no need for a load of people who will just agree with everything we say. We don't need anyone else on board to do that. We've already had some excellent feedback within the council, and it hasn't been "you guys are doing it perfect, more of the same please". I have no doubt that this will be the best thing for the community at large, and if anyone does fancy joining the team then feel free to put your names forward to any councillor. We're a couple of people short due to people turning us down, so there may still be a place for you now.

V: RuPaul :clap :rollin I wonder if that was a deliberate mistake? :rollin

·
Administrator
3,655 Posts
@ Ghost - My understanding of this move is that we are not "representative's".

We represent no one, Admin or members. We are a tool to be used for the benefit of everyone on here.

It would be unworkable for every little idea, change or issue to be taken to a membership wide vote.

We will raise issues on behalf of members and try to guide the Admin for the better of the site and it's users.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts