Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im very embarrassed that i have to make this post- but i melted an exhaust plug into the inside of my sc project slip on- long story short- the plug was in my header mid pipe over night to protect from rodents mid project- when i used the mallet to ensure the headers were in the mid pipe correctly it must’ve allowed the plug to fall all the way into the headers. Idiot me forgot about it completely and started up the bike after reinstalling the slip on and it melted the entire plug into the slip on from the inside (it was stopped by the dB killer).
I think i know the answer to my question- but is there any way to fix this? It’s bad. Really bad. The whole slip on is filled with (now) hard rubber and plastic. I got out as much as i could while it was warm, but it’s a mess. Thankfully the headers are completely fine.
My only thought is maybe there’s a chemical that would eat the plastic up completely without harming the titanium? I guess I’ll try anything since I’m pretty sure this is going to result in me dropping another $680 on a new slip on.
I apologize if i double post this. My first one didn’t work

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Oh, man. That sucks!

The problem with plastic is that there is many different types and most are chemical resistant. I would probably go at it using a torch with a heating tip and some kind of wire brush small and long enough to go inside the muffler and scrape out the burned plastic. The muffler and packing can take a lot of heat, but don't go crazy and avoid the tip end.

Post some pics, that will help get an idea of what we are working with and maybe someone else will come up with a better solution. If you end up needing to buy a new muffler, contact SC and see if they will have mercy on you and help you obtain a new end can only, hopefully for a nice discount.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, man. That sucks!

The problem with plastic is that there is many different types and most are chemical resistant. I would probably go at it using a torch with a heating tip and some kind of wire brush small and long enough to go inside the muffler and scrape out the burned plastic. The muffler and packing can take a lot of heat, but don't go crazy and avoid the tip end.

Post some pics, that will help get an idea of what we are working with and maybe someone else will come up with a better solution. If you end up needing to buy a new muffler, contact SC and see if they will have mercy on you and help you obtain a new end can only, hopefully for a nice discount.
I like that heat and wire brush idea- i will try that, thank you! And yes i will attempt to not torch the carbon fiber end off

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd burn off what's possible as DELuth mentions and ride. Maybe in time this stuff erodes away. I had thought about the use of muriatic acid, but it comes in a plastic jug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats a bummer.

Maybe you could throw it in the freezer overnight. The plastic might contract and allow you to scrape it out in bigger chunks?

If you can find out the material type you can also find out if any solution might work on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a bummer.

Maybe you could throw it in the freezer overnight. The plastic might contract and allow you to scrape it out in bigger chunks?

If you can find out the material type you can also find out if any solution might work on it.
It’s in my garage so it basically is frozen to be honest- i May give that a shot too- first i need to get the DB killer out so i can actually try the ideas provided here

i called baysideperformance and they told me there was absolutely nothing they coulddo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to dreamer out the dB killer- i then took a wire brush to the inside and most of the gunk is gone now- I’m gonna run the bike without the dB killer for a while to burn out all the excess rubber- i cleaned out the portion of the slip on that attaches to the mid pipe as well to avoid any gunk getting on the headers. Also ordered a replacement dB killer that isn’t completely gunked up and i Think I’m good to go!
Those darn tack welds

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to dreamer out the dB killer- i then took a wire brush to the inside and most of the gunk is gone now- I’m gonna run the bike without the dB killer for a while to burn out all the excess rubber- i cleaned out the portion of the slip on that attaches to the mid pipe as well to avoid any gunk getting on the headers. Also ordered a replacement dB killer that isn’t completely gunked up and i Think I’m good to go!
Those darn tack welds
Cool, glad to hear that.

I'd like to know your impression of the system. Im thinking about going SC project as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, glad to hear that.

I'd like to know your impression of the system. Im thinking about going SC project as well.
I love the system aesthetically- and the quality is evident the moment you remove it from the packaging- the sound in person is amazing as well- i can’t speak to performance because i haven’t ridden with it yet, and it’ll probably take me a bit to get the woolich flashing down

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Tacked in dB killer? How rude!

Glad you got it sorted out! 👍

p.s. An exhaust thread is useless without pics. 😁

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My apologies for the lack of photos. My dad took the dB killer and torched it all off for me so i no longer have the ability for photo reference- other than of the mostly cleaned out slip on itself- which has no dB killer at the moment

1 - 20 of 25 Posts