Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Bought a new (old stock) 2020 CB1000R about 3 weeks ago. I'm a seasoned road rider and avid track rider.

Sold a 2018 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle for this bike.

Initial thoughts after 250 miles of riding:
1) The Dunlop 214 tyres needs to go. Had a rear and front slide (separate occasions) in the dry while cornering
2) Suspension needs to be adjusted as they are too soft, especially the rear (I weigh 170 lbs)
3) Front fender extender and radiator guard are a must on this bike.
4) Engine is too exposed. Guards required.

Ciao!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
Font Automotive exterior Art Logo Darkness

...Bought a new (old stock) 2020 CB1000R about 3 weeks ago. I'm a seasoned road rider and avid track rider.
Congrats!

The CB1000R isn't the best Honda track bike
a lot more of a placid lardass on the road than any Duc.

Case you missed it check the static settings.

After the sag, dial the rustic prehistoric shocks and enjoy your CB1000R NSC.

Reliable, affordable, and very well made
give it a while, you'll find a lot of good, maybe the best on the NSC
as it is.

Registered
2019 CB1000R
1) The Dunlop 214 tyres needs to go. Had a rear and front slide (separate occasions) in the dry while cornering
Yup, they suck and they're discontinued. For the first time ever in the history of all the bike's I've owned, it looks like the front tire is going to wear out before the rear. Dunlop must have used a car tire formula for the rear tread.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Guys,

Thanks for all the welcome messages.

In hindsight, my first post might have given the impression that I am reviewing the CB1000R in a negative light but I am actually happy with the bike. I bought the CB1000R for weekend canyon rides and the occasionally short touring rides. I have a dedicated 2016 Yamaha R1 for track riding.

Prior to buying the CB1000R, I test rode the following:1) 2021 Yamaha MT-10. 2) 2020 Suzuki Katana 1000 3) 2020 Honda CB1000R. The MT-10 was such an angry and hot bike but it was too similar to my R1. The Katana was a close second but the looks and pathetic small gas tank was a deal breaker, The CB1000R surprised me with a smooth engine and a level of sophistication that was one step above the Suzuki and Yamaha when it comes to the riding experience. To top it off, the Honda was the cheapest bike.

Did some tinkering of the suspension and went on a short ride. Will have to wait until after Christmas before I can bring the bike to a shop to dial in the suspension correctly. Nonetheless, the front has much better braking stability now and the rear has improved but still feels a bit soft. Lost a bit of riding comfort with these settings though.
Current Suspension setting:
Front: Preload=9 turns from full soft. Compression 5 turns from full hard. Rebound 4 turns from full hard
Rear: Preload= Position 4. Rebound: 1.25 turn from full hard.

Ciao!

Registered
Thanks for the update, phelan! Always interesting to see how the CB1000R stacks up against the competition, and the bikes already in the garage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Christmas goodies has arrived.

Spent 2 hours getting the following installed:
1) T-Rex engine covers (3 pieces)
2) Unbranded radiator guard
3) Ermax fender extender

The engine covers bolted on nicely once you align the pieces correctly. The covers are quite thick giving confidence that they should protect the engine is the event of a crash. The radiator guard bolted in perfectly. Front fender extender was not meant for the cb1000r so had to do some modification to align and install it.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motorcycle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts