Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
KTM and Kawasaki
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about the CB1000R. I test rode a Yamaha MT-10 and really liked the motor but, handling for me was a little bit clumsy. Also, fuel mileage appears to be pretty bad.

How does a 2019 CB1000R compare? Other than not having a quick shifter stock, are there other things that are different between the two?

TIA,
Sid

·
Registered
100 Posts
you might find the CB lacking power under 6krpm compared to the MT, and the MT is more comfy,, better seat cushion.
no cruise control.
what do you ride now?

·
Registered
KTM and Kawasaki
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat is a factor but not a big one with so many great aftermarket options for ~$300USD. Lack of a cruise control and power shifter (up only on the MT) is a bit of an issue and a huge marketing oversight IMHO.

Honda manufacturing quality is generally higher than Yamaha which to me seems a bit cheap in comparison, sort of a conscious shortchanging for a spec similar to car rental companies. I can also get the CB1000R cheaper so, that leaves a little cash in the wallet for the seat upgrade and some luggage compared to the MT-10.

I have a long history with dual-sports, generally preferring the smaller lighter ones. Right now I run a KTM 450XCW and old school 2007 KLX-250S with uprated front forks. The KLX-250S is really good mid-speed (~45mph) on the street and I have it set up really good and flickable for off-road riding.

I'm trying really hard to avoid jumping on the ADV bandwagon as I really like sitting up high for visibility on the street. I have been thinking about the Ducati Multistrada 950 as a bit of middle ground between the road and dirt bike options. The Multistrada may fall short in the horsepower wars but, it appears to have a flat torque curve that comes on early which should work well for most real-world riding.

·
Registered
KTM and Kawasaki
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the Honda engine flat spot and general lack of competitive power below 5,500 RPM, is this easily fixable with an ECU flash and/or exhaust mods to uncork it and free the beast? The motor legacy suggests it should be more competitive with the MT-10. The reality though is that the MT-10 is really too much power for street use and this comes at the cost of poor fuel mileage.

I'm not looking to run wheelies 1st through 5th gear and really just want the torque to carry the gear through corners and traffic without lots of shifting like I do on my KLX-250s. I also want a bit more weight for stability on the highway. I'm looking for something more reasonable to tour on as well for Summer vacations to National Parks and similar places.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Regarding the Honda engine flat spot and general lack of competitive power below 5,500 RPM...
It's a big jump in power from 250/450 to 1000cc,, assuming u r a seasoned rider, this extra power is useful in the street,, plenty to get u out of corners.

The CB doesn't wheelie easily, which is a good thing for me.

Have u considered kawasaki ninja 1000sx or yamaha tracer 900? Maybe mt-09?

Happy shopping

·
Registered
KTM and Kawasaki
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a big jump in power from 250/450 to 1000cc,, assuming u r a seasoned rider, this extra power is useful in the street,, plenty to get u out of corners.
Yes, any of the 1-liter street-oriented options are a huge jump from entry-level class motorcycles. I test rode an older KTM 380MXC 2-stroke and I found power delivery to be pretty violent and marginally fun for about 10 minutes. I'm much happier with my 450XWC. :)

On the street, even a Yamaha MT-03/R-3 is plenty of power to run with traffic but, I find it a bit buzzy and high strung for relaxed 'pleasure' rides at moderate paces. However, if all I had was an R-3, I'm sure I would happy plodding along at 45mph on rural roads.

The CB doesn't wheelie easily, which is a good thing for me.
Yea, I'm not into wheelies or any street stunting. For safety on the street, being able to hit it hard without shifting can mean the difference between being sideswiped or otherwise wiped out or putting the carnage behind me. My last car accident would have been totally avoided had I been on a motorcycle because instead of squirting by someone who stopped cross-lane on the street I had to stop and was rear-ended by someone 'in a hurry to get to work' who hit me doing 45~55MPH even though both lanes my direction were basically stopped (left and right turns at an intersection).

Have u considered kawasaki ninja 1000sx or yamaha tracer 900? Maybe mt-09?
I test rode a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (CP3 motor) and we didn't meld well. I think the bars were a bit forward for me as the handling and general experience seemed awkward and almost clumsy. Power and acceleration was not impressive either. Definitely better than the MT-07 and smoother but, it had the same clunky transmission. I had high expectations for the MT-09/Tracer but it was a bit of a let down IMHO.

I would like to ride a Kawasaki Z900. It looks like it might be a good competitor to the MT-10 and CBR-1000R. I've been shopping it some against the CB-1000R but, I generally find the Honda fit and finish to be better and the Honda prices are pretty aggressive right now. The TFT dash of the Kawasaki is a nice piece of bling that is missing on the Honda!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haven’t ridden the MT-10 so I can’t speak for it, but if it’s like any other super-naked it’s all about that low end grunt. The new CB on the other hand is tuned for its mid-range punch. There’s grunt sure, it’s 1000cc but it’s much more revvy. It’s nice and tame at the lower rpms, you only notice the dip if you linger in it. I only notice it when I’m half-assing the throttle. Otherwise this thing just begs to revved, and that’s when it comes alive. Much more racy compared to the standard super-naked wheelie in your face setup. But it does like to wheelie.. at 7000rpm haha.

I thought the suspension was pretty soggy on the CB as well in stock form. I adjusted it to my weight and it was night and day. I’m pretty sure the Yamaha would respond much better if it was just tuned to you, I wouldn’t rule it out for that. I ruled it out entirely cause I am not a fan of the Transformer look.

With the Z900, I gotta say you get a lot of motorcycle price and packaging wise. I would definitely recommend checking it out too if you haven’t already.

You know though, I’m just not crazy about the TFT displays right now, IMO they look pretty ugly, unrefined, and kind of gimicky in implementation. Honda’s TFT displays included. I am actually happy with the CB’s blacked out LED display. Sure it’s not the latest and greatest tech wise but as a compromise it is designed very well. Wanna see good TFT implementation, look at the Vitpilen. Triumphs display on their new middleweight naked looks like it might be pretty slick as well.

·
Registered
KTM and Kawasaki
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... Wanna see good TFT implementation, look at the Vitpilen. Triumphs display on their new middleweight naked looks like it might be pretty slick as well.
Triumph has some nice looking motorcycles with a lot of nice features. However, their build quality and reliability are problematic.

The Husqvarna Vitpilen / Smartpilen look like good options for many people. The 401 series is one I have considered, At $5K they look like good values. However, their looks are a bit gimmicky IMHO though, they are catching a lot of buzz these days.

·
Read Only
33 Posts
I had a Street Triple 765 RS and had no reliability problems. I think that´s a myth of the past.
Built quality and attention to detail is above anything i have owned before and after.

·
Registered
KTM and Kawasaki
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a Street Triple 765 RS and had no reliability problems. I think that´s a myth of the past.
Built quality and attention to detail is above anything i have owned before and after.
I have a hard time getting past the looks of the current crop of Triumph 765 triples. Pretty insect looking to me, even worse than the Yamaha MT transformers IMHO.

·
Read Only
33 Posts
Well, the head lights are dividing ( a little improvement this year ). But the overall finish and quality of their bikes is as good as anything.

·
Registered
KTM and Kawasaki
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you have a good Triumph, they really rock however it's a bit of a lottery though based on what I see with other owners on different forums. But, that's probably also true of a lot of brands. The biggest issue for me is the dealer support. My closest dealer is 2~3 hours away and I felt like I was at a sleazy used car lot while there. After being ignored for a 1/2 hour on the showroom floor and walked out the door to my car, a sales buy chased me down. He didn't listen to me and really didn't know the motorcycles and had to get the service guy to answer some basic questions.

The Japanese makes all have multiple dealer options within an hour drive. If I go 'exotic' it will most likely be a Ducati because AMS in Dallas has been really impressive every time I stopped in and they have a very loyal following online. If cost of ownership wasn't a concern, Ducati would be more appealing now that service intervals are so much longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts