Honda CB1000R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been running this configuration and really like it.
I bumped them all up 1 on a turnpike ride yesterday and enjoyed that too. Definitely more muscle and stability working through highway traffic. May try 3P 2T 1EB in low traffic highway riding tomorrow am

·
Registered
Cb1000R NSC +
24 Posts
I spent the first few days messing around with all the settings, then left it in 'standard' and haven't given it much thought since!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The CB Thou is the first bike I've owned that has a full suite of electronic riding aids. So its riding modes have been a bit of a novelty for me.

After six months of ownership, I generally leave the bike in Sport mode. The sharp throttle response in the lower gears rewards a smooth riding style. I figure it'll improve my technique, and even if it doesn’t I'm not stopped from accessing full power if I want it.

I only switch to Standard in wet weather, or if I'm in traffic on a bumpy road.

Wet mode? I tried it once and couldn’t see the point. Maybe if I ever feel like wearng boxing gloves on my commute.

And a confession - I've been too busy enjoying my bike to spend time playing around with User mode. I've never tried it.

So what's the consensus? Do you stick to a single mode, switch between the modes from time to time, or have you found your perfect User setting?
I put it in sport mode and almost died but it cut the power very quick. The throttle is too twitchy. Standard is perfect. Rain I good when it's wet. Someone said in user you can set power full and tc 2 or 3 bars and not have a jerky throttle this is not the case. I think it's just me I really like the acceleration so open throttle it.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I rarely use anything other than Sport or Custom (same as sport but with more engine braking). Sport mode had a lot less go than the previous model below about 5k rpm. Above that it basically feels the same.

I don't understand the twitchy comments, but they do confirm that in the hands of a novice, full access to the power of a litre bike is a liability.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
756 Posts
I don't understand the twitchy comments
I'll see if I can explain it. Even with maintenance throttle, just cruising on the highway, any slight unintentional increase in throttle is abrupt. Rolling on the throttle out of a turn can be abrupt or unpredictable.

My other bike is a 2017 CBR1000S1 with a UK spec flash that I purchased new. It will absolutely smoke my Neo Sports Café. It has an OEM electronic throttle just like the NSC. I can set a user mode to full power and turn off the torque control. Rolling on the throttle leaned over out of an apex is never abrupt or unpredictable. It is always smooth since the first day I rode it away from the dealership.

My Neo Sports Café replaced a 2014 CB1000R with an Akrapovič open slip-on, mid pipe, and PC. That throttle was super smooth, albeit controlled by a cable.

Some other new bikes I've owned:
2009 CBR1000RR
2010 CBR1000RR
2012 CBR1000RR

They all had consistently smooth and predictable throttle response. I enjoy commuting on my 2019 NSC, but it doesn't have the typical smooth throttle response that Honda has always delivered in my experience.

Wheel Tire Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
There's my point. I don't find the throttle the least bit twitchy or unpredictable. I ride a lot of miles on my CB1000R, CB1000F and CBR1000RR. Obviously the CB1000F is softer than the other two, and the CBR has most power, but they are all smooth and predictable.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
756 Posts
There's my point. I don't find the throttle the least bit twitchy or unpredictable. I ride a lot of miles on my CB1000R, CB1000F and CBR1000RR. Obviously the CB1000F is softer than the other two, and the CBR has most power, but they are all smooth and predictable.
I guess you got lucky with your NSC. I thought it was just my throttle until I read others posting about it. Mine is a 2019 by the way. Maybe Honda made some tweaks to the ECU. I have no idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The CB Thou is the first bike I've owned that has a full suite of electronic riding aids. So its riding modes have been a bit of a novelty for me.

After six months of ownership, I generally leave the bike in Sport mode. The sharp throttle response in the lower gears rewards a smooth riding style. I figure it'll improve my technique, and even if it doesn’t I'm not stopped from accessing full power if I want it.

I only switch to Standard in wet weather, or if I'm in traffic on a bumpy road.

Wet mode? I tried it once and couldn’t see the point. Maybe if I ever feel like wearng boxing gloves on my commute.

And a confession - I've been too busy enjoying my bike to spend time playing around with User mode. I've never tried it.

So what's the consensus? Do you stick to a single mode, switch between the modes from time to time, or have you found your perfect User setting?
I've been practicing more in sport mode can be about more frisky I got my first handle bar wobble and back to slide I'm getting a bit more used to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This was my first 1000 so I spent the first 6 months in rain mode whilst I got used to it. Then 12 months in normal mode and just recently put it in sport mode. Now that I am quite accustomed to all the modes I generally keep it normal as it seems the best balance of all the modes. Rain mode when it's wet and/or commuting in heavy traffic or feeling lazy. Sports mode when I am going for a fun ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use the user mode, with 3 bars of power, least amount of engine braking because I find it a little less snatchy when its smoother off the gas, and tc off because even with one bar of traction control you cant use the quick shifter with the wheel in the air.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had a demo n a 2021 was set in Std mode, felt fine, bought a 2019 set in sport mode, felt fine remembered the modes after a while sort of tried std for a while but just put it back to sport, trying user as sport but with full engine braking cos I'm used to bit more engine braking and tend to roll throttle smoothly on and off into bends. Thought I was sensitive to snatchy throttle but I just put it in 3rd gear if riding slow on bumpy roads. The sales guy in Fowlers told me pre 2021 throttle were to sensitive and they were remapped for 2021... trying to sell me one ? Got a Z900 with no TC with same Dunlops 214s (but made in Thailand?) in Spain, now that was lively very easy to spin up till I got a bit used to it (and change tyres!)

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
756 Posts
Dunlops 214s (but made in Thailand?) in Spain, now that was lively very easy to spin up till I got a bit used to it (and change tyres!)
Same tire on my 2019. They're horrible and have since been discontinued.

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R ABS BLACK EDITION
112 Posts
I just got mine set to SPORTS mode and adjust my riding technique / skills, to whatever it throws at me , rain or shine :cool: I am not sure, if that's the best way to go about it :unsure:

21 - 40 of 51 Posts