Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The CB Thou is the first bike I've owned that has a full suite of electronic riding aids. So its riding modes have been a bit of a novelty for me.

After six months of ownership, I generally leave the bike in Sport mode. The sharp throttle response in the lower gears rewards a smooth riding style. I figure it'll improve my technique, and even if it doesn’t I'm not stopped from accessing full power if I want it.

I only switch to Standard in wet weather, or if I'm in traffic on a bumpy road.

Wet mode? I tried it once and couldn’t see the point. Maybe if I ever feel like wearng boxing gloves on my commute.

And a confession - I've been too busy enjoying my bike to spend time playing around with User mode. I've never tried it.

So what's the consensus? Do you stick to a single mode, switch between the modes from time to time, or have you found your perfect User setting?

·
Registered
590 Posts
commuting: User, P2, T3, E1
fun: User, P3, T2, E1

T2 still allows some wheel lift without getting too hairy, but in commuting traffic, i prefer T3. (esp if you have a tendency to FUT... F## you Throttle it :D )

each to their own

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Sport mode or User mode, set same as Sport mode, except with max engine braking. I swap between those and still can't decide which I prefer.

I've never had these options before and don't care about Rain or Standard modes. I want the throttle to respond consistently, and have no urge to reduce power or throttle response.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In the city RAIN mode , TC on full for the shiny city tarmac is good.Smooth response.
When i'm riding in the mountain or highway roads I normally use Standard mode.Don't use SPORT mode to much and never use USER mode.

·
Read Only
80 Posts
In wet conditions I use RAIN in the city and traffic I use STANDART and on highway or country roads I use SPORT.
I played with USER but do not use it really....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I read the 1st test from 1000PS by Nasty Nils. He had the User Mode with Power 1, TC 1 and EB 1. He described the riding as very smooth. I did the same when I got the bike and was very happy with it. However, when riding in the mountains, I prefer Standard Mode because I need more EB. I do not like the Sport Mode too much, because of the harsh response. Maybe I should try it again now I am more used to the bike (now 105000km on the clock).

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Whew.

I've been riding litre bikes since about 1993. I've had plenty of miles and time to get used to the responsiveness of a powerful machine. I've never had riding modes until this bike. So I don't perceive the throttle response as abrupt. I'm sure if you pick and use Sport mode, you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whew.

I've been riding litre bikes since about 1993. I've had plenty of miles and time to get used to the responsiveness of a powerful machine. I've never had riding modes until this bike. So I don't perceive the throttle response as abrupt. I'm sure if you pick and use Sport mode, you'll get used to it pretty quickly.
Had a ZX10r before and used the Sport Mode often. But the characteristic of the CB and the ZX engine is very different since the CB has mor power in lower revs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The whole modes thing is a load of old tosh when you think about it.
They enable any ham fisted mong to jump onboard and nail it with impunity.
Enables the industry to flog bikes to individuals that have the riding ability or skillsets of a cabbage.
In the old days, if you couldn't control it...if you had any sense, you'd keep off it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
User mode with full power, full traction control and full engine braking for twisty (especially Spanish mountain) roads.

I like the engine braking, it suits my riding style. Traction control keeps things more manageable.

On motorways / non twisty roads I use Sport mode, as I don't want engine braking slowing me down every time I ease off the throttle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rain - Around town, particularly when speed cameras are around.
Standard - Most of the time
Sport - Pissing around, going out for a blast to the cafe at Quatt or coming home from work and want to hoon it :)
User - Have messed with this a lot but haven't found anything better than the 3 modes above

I think im getting old :-(

·
Registered
8 Posts
PWR = 2/3
TC = 2/3
EB = 1/3

most riding is not very aggressive and therefore the low EB and mid range TC.. I don't like the aggressive throttle when PWR is 3/3...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hahahaaa.....I've just come back.
I'm guessing you mean the Picos?
Rianno to Cangas?
That IS a road and a half..lol
Superb roads in the Picos.

My favourite was the road from Riano to Potes. Didn't get baulked by traffic at all, so had a great ride.

As is typical my action camera battery ran flat minutes befor that run but I did get footage of other roads in the Picos (and Andalusia) which I have posted on Facebook.

·
Registered
10 Posts
user settings P2, T1, E1 has been the most forgiving while getting used to the bike and still having fun on it. like a somewhat subdued sport mode if you want less sharp throttle response than sport mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
commuting: User, P2, T3, E1
fun: User, P3, T2, E1

T2 still allows some wheel lift without getting too hairy, but in commuting traffic, i prefer T3. (esp if you have a tendency to FUT... F## you Throttle it :D )

each to their own
interesting, I'll try definitely these out sometime

1 - 20 of 23 Posts