Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my tyres changed for the first time on this bike yesterday. Got home and was giving them a wipe and I noticed the rims had small scratches in two places where the bead breaker would have been used. Before I go back complaining I was just wondering where I stood on this. What would you do if a similar thing happened? Are they obliged to replace/repair the wheel or is it too late.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Unfortunately you probably already know the answer to that question. It'll probably come down to proof. There's not to many if any dealerships/shops that would stand up. Kinda sucks. You'd should say something anyways though. Never know you may get lucky.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have not had it in for new tyres before now so they can`t say the marks were already there. That`s a start I suppose. And I did buy it from the same shop so they know me quite well. Here`s hoping.

·
Administrator
4,051 Posts
What a pain that is - given the cost of wheels maybe they'll help towards repainting them or discounting your next set of tyres. Most places are pretty honest about wheel scratches - but will most likely say "your wheel may get scratched during a tyre/wheel change but we'll try and avoid it if we can" ... If they are friendly enough you could raise it with them, but with hindsight it would have been in your favour to raise it at the shop before leaving. Hope you get it sorted...hope the scratches aren't too obvious...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm always nervous when having tyres changed on the bike or the car for this reason. It does seem as though the process can be a bit hit and miss. I think if it was me, I'd probably accept a couple of light superficial marks as a hazard of the job but anything more and I'd be looking to get the situation rectified if possible. Good luck with it :thumbup

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the scratches again with fresh eyes it`s not as bad as it seemed the first time. A bit of touch up paint would work. Other things on my mind now anyway. A sodding lorry reversed into me this morning :)mad:) so now the mudguard is smashed and the clocks buggered. It`s in the shop waiting for the insurance guy to OK the repairs. Miracle there was nothing more than that. I managed to keep it upright - just . Just over a grands worth of damage apparently with the clocks taking up most of it.

Little marks on the wheel seem less important now. And I`m on my hols, and the weather is lovely and I don`t have another bike and I`m p****d off.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I had a similar thing a few years back when i pulled up behind a bin lorry which i thought was parked up waiting for the traffic lights to turn green......... it was not, then suddenly went into reverse with me behind it..... holy good god i crap'd myself, i had to duck paddle back enough to be able to turn the steering and get out, it was very very close.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I couldn`t paddle back fast enough. Thought I had left enough room in front but he just kept coming. Have to say the shop have been brilliant over this. As soon as the insurance company had emailed confirmation of the claim they looked over the bike and got an estimate done and emailed straight back so it`s just a case of waiting for the insurance engineer to give them the ok to order the parts. As it`s the weekend now it will probably (hopefully) be Monday.
If they get the OK soon enough they said I could be back on the road by next weekend. So I think I`ll be forgetting about the marks on the wheels now. And I will be steering well clear of any lorries!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well at least you lived to tell the tale !! I was all ready to simple jump off the bike and let it run over it..... i must of missed the side of the wagon by inches, luckily i had it already engaged in 1st gear so i just took off, if it had been in neutral i am not sure i would of made it. This issue with the wheels maybe a good oportunity to get them resprayed in a nice gloss black or a nice set i spotted on this forum was the Sienna red mixed with nightstar black.... they looked stunning. I have the same colour scheme as your bike and will be getting my wheels done the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.