Honda CB1000R Forum banner

Honda CB1000R 2021 OR CB650R 2021 for a first bike?

15K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Tdutton7 
#1 ·
Hello guys, I'm a new completely driver and I felt in love with Honda CB lineup.
I'm finishing my permit in few months and really looked forward buying the CB1000R 2021.
But doing a lot of research online, buying a liter bike as a first bike seems like a really bad idea.
I did some track days with a (custom FRS) and also a lot of cycling through my childhood.

Despite how much I love the CB1000R I think the 650R 2021 would be a better choice personally.
The only problem I have is I don't want to spend x amount of $ on a new bike and then wanting to immediately upgrade to a more powerful one in 2-3 years.
I don't want to piss off any of the pro bikers here since I know this question is frequently asked and is getting annoying real fast.
But since is not a super sport bike can I get used to 1000cc or is just such a stupid idea (like I assume).

Thanks in advance for any one going through my text.

#2 ·
The only problem I have is I don't want to spend x amount of $ on a new bike and then wanting to immediately upgrade to a more powerful one in 2-3 years.
Nothing wrong with trading in your bike in 2-3 years, unless you're financing it which IMO is financially a bad idea unless it's your only form of transportation. IMO a CB500F is a good starter bike. I purchased one just for highway commuting as an experienced rider, saving my CBR1000RR for the weekends.

#21 ·
the CB1000R has a supersport bike engine and it can kill you.
get a used middle weight bike!

Any bike can kill you. If you behave like an idiot on a middle weight bike you can find yourself just as dead as you'd be on a CB1000R or anything else. We are all fragile and fallible, so bear that in mind if you plan to make this a long-term pastime.

Having said that, just about any bike will have more than enough power, handling and brakes for a newbie. You won't feel short-changed riding a middle weight. And the reality is that very few people use anything close to the full potential of a liter bike on the road.

I sure don't. The CB1000R is a far better bike than I am a rider, and I don’t have to worry about finding its limits before I hit my own.

Go test ride a bunch of bikes, and buy the one you feel most at home on (as long as it makes you smile - that's pretty important!). It may be the one you least expected to hit the right note for you. Don’t get too hung up about capacity.

Have fun!

#5 ·
I've has loads of powerful bikes over the years, but after an 8 year spell with no bike, getting on the CB1000 was something I had to break into quite gently. Although in online road tests, you will see plenty of bikes with lots more power, the CB1000 is a bit of a beast. TBH, if you've not had a bike before, the CB650 will be a bit of a beast as well.

Save a few £ and get the 650 I would say!

#8 ·
Nothing wrong with a 650! Where you run into trouble is with the 250-300cc bikes. You can outgrow them real fast.

My wife rides a 650 and I still have a blast whenever I ride her bike. 650 is big enough to be a permanent bike while also making a great bike to start on. Lightweight and plenty of power for the street.

You can kill yourself on anything, liter-bike not necessary, especially with no experience. I wish every new rider would start out on a dirt bike. The skills you learn there are priceless on the road.

GL with whatever you decide to buy, you can't go wrong with either one as they are both great bikes. Myself, I would go for the 650 in your situation.

LOL, you posted that you put a deposit down on the 650 as I was writing this. Congratulations!

#25 ·
I've had both of these bikes recently and the 1000 here to stay. The 650 I bought in 2015 and traded for 1000 in 2017. Before the 650 I had an SV650S for about 8 years after getting my licence in 2006. The SV650 initially was restricted as I just couldn't pass the test on the hulking GS500 they had, I'm only 5"6 and 10 stone so went for the 125 licence instead which was easy and got me access to proper bike albeit limited to 33kw. I removed the restrictor after....some time passed :) I didn't have a car so used the bike as my main transport, riding in rain, snow, 600 mile trips back from home from the Navy base etc. This meant I built a lot of experience very fast and got most of the scary stuff, including a 40mph slide down the road to avoid a car, out of the way quite early (the bike survived god bless crash bungs)

Personally I think you made the right choice. 600-650cc perfect for your first bike to make your mistakes on, and you WILL make these. Locking up the rear wheel, taking a corner too loose, accidentally going front wheel up on overtakes, putting the wrong foot down into a pothole at the lights etc. With a 650 you can really push it while you're still getting experience and building confidence. What that meant for me personally was that when I "upgraded" to the Honda CB650 , I actually didn't enjoy it that much. It was different being 4pot instead of a V-twin, but I was ready for the next step now, something I definitely could not say back in 2007-8. My friend offered for me to try his Bandit 1200 out and I sat on it and just didn't feel comfortable taking it out, I wasn't ready. Now this is my own experience and by the sounds of it, you have much more experience than I did when I first did my licence but having said that the CB650 was still a good bike to have and if I'd have bought this as my first bike instead of the SV650 I'm 100% sure I would have enjoyed it just as much. Just to fight the CB1000 corner though...well the best way I can put it is, you know when you have already have a bike but you're always on the lookout for other ones etc. Since I bought the 1000, I've never even looked at a bike review since. It is (IMHO) the perfect bike.

#33 ·
My third bike at the age of 16 was a two year old CB-400F bought at a bank auction. Over the years I progressed to several 400's, 550/600, 750turbo, and then liter bikes. Road-raced the 400F and RD400's so skills developed. Still, I didn't get to a liter bike for quite a while in life. Prior to getting my CB1kR I considered the CB650R--the pipes remind me of my CB-400F. Price drove me to the NSC. Is the CB1kR good for a first bike? It could be. Discipline is key. Know when to roll off the throttle. Not just for a few rides or a few weeks. Lastly be aware of over confidence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.