Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm a new completely driver and I felt in love with Honda CB lineup.
I'm finishing my permit in few months and really looked forward buying the CB1000R 2021.
But doing a lot of research online, buying a liter bike as a first bike seems like a really bad idea.
I did some track days with a (custom FRS) and also a lot of cycling through my childhood.

Despite how much I love the CB1000R I think the 650R 2021 would be a better choice personally.
The only problem I have is I don't want to spend x amount of $ on a new bike and then wanting to immediately upgrade to a more powerful one in 2-3 years.
I don't want to piss off any of the pro bikers here since I know this question is frequently asked and is getting annoying real fast.
But since is not a super sport bike can I get used to 1000cc or is just such a stupid idea (like I assume).

Thanks in advance for any one going through my text.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
The only problem I have is I don't want to spend x amount of $ on a new bike and then wanting to immediately upgrade to a more powerful one in 2-3 years.
Nothing wrong with trading in your bike in 2-3 years, unless you're financing it which IMO is financially a bad idea unless it's your only form of transportation. IMO a CB500F is a good starter bike. I purchased one just for highway commuting as an experienced rider, saving my CBR1000RR for the weekends.

·
Registered
151 Posts
welcome to the forum.
the CB1000R has a supersport bike engine and it can kill you.
get a used middle weight bike!

·
Registered
Cb1000R NSC +
19 Posts
Hello guys, I'm a new completely driver and I felt in love with Honda CB lineup.
I'm finishing my permit in few months and really looked forward buying the CB1000R 2021.
But doing a lot of research online, buying a liter bike as a first bike seems like a really bad idea.
I did some track days with a (custom FRS) and also a lot of cycling through my childhood.

Despite how much I love the CB1000R I think the 650R 2021 would be a better choice personally.
I don't want to piss off any of the pro bikers here since I know this question is frequently asked and is getting annoying real fast.
But since is not a super sport bike can I get used to 1000cc or is just such a stupid idea (like I assume).

Thanks in advance for any one going through my text.
I've has loads of powerful bikes over the years, but after an 8 year spell with no bike, getting on the CB1000 was something I had to break into quite gently. Although in online road tests, you will see plenty of bikes with lots more power, the CB1000 is a bit of a beast. TBH, if you've not had a bike before, the CB650 will be a bit of a beast as well.

Save a few £ and get the 650 I would say!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your answers.
I went today to my local dealer and loved the 650r.
I've put a deposit on the Honda CB650r 2021.
I will probably buy it when they received the 2021 model (they only get 2 of them).
I'm glad i got to understand the importance of the power for a first bike! :)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 650! Where you run into trouble is with the 250-300cc bikes. You can outgrow them real fast.

My wife rides a 650 and I still have a blast whenever I ride her bike. 650 is big enough to be a permanent bike while also making a great bike to start on. Lightweight and plenty of power for the street.

You can kill yourself on anything, liter-bike not necessary, especially with no experience. I wish every new rider would start out on a dirt bike. The skills you learn there are priceless on the road.

GL with whatever you decide to buy, you can't go wrong with either one as they are both great bikes. Myself, I would go for the 650 in your situation.

LOL, you posted that you put a deposit down on the 650 as I was writing this. Congratulations!

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
237 Posts
I've put a deposit on the Honda CB650r 2021.
They didn't have any new/old stock CB650R models in stock? If you're set on the latest year model and they only get two, you're most likely going to pay MSRP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They didn't have any new/old stock CB650R models in stock? If you're set on the latest year model and they only get two, you're most likely going to pay MSRP.
Yeah they did have 1, a 2019 model but it was very dirty and full of dust.
I don't mind paying MSRP I almost always buy new any ways.
I would save 2000$CAD if i get the 2019 but the 2021 also comes with a quick shifter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So they had a brand new 2019 that was dirty? If so, sounds like a shitty dealership. Quick shifter for an American 2020 is $239.95 plus labor.
Yeah is a bit complicated here, stores just opened after few monthns of confinement. Any ways, i got a really good service from the seller, if I'm not satisfied i could ask for a full refund of my deposit and go to another dealer but it was the only 1 open on monday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could always buy a couple year old cb650r then when you go to sell it for the cb1000r you’ll probably get most of your money back. If you’re planning on upgrading in a couple years i wouldn’t buy new for the cb650r

·
Registered
151 Posts
You could always buy a couple year old cb650r then when you go to sell it for the cb1000r you’ll probably get most of your money back. If you’re planning on upgrading in a couple years i wouldn’t buy new for the cb650r
exactly that

1 - 20 of 33 Posts