Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just wanted to share with you my latests hilbilly project. For those not familiar with the term "hillbilly" it refers to a person who normally lives in a rural areal, and makes everything by hand, kind of fixes all with duck tape and a hammer, and normally they do their cousins, but that is another story.

I can not afford to spend over $400 for an after-market exhaust, so I started looking into alternatives. All I wanted was a little more sound from my bike, I was not concern with performance.
It all started with a rear flat tire, I had to remove the muffler for the first time off my bike. Now I had access to the inner working of that alien looking muffler.
It is not news that people have been doing their own projects on the stock mufflers for a while, but because of the odd shape of our muffler, I did not think it was possible to mess with it.
But, to my surprise, when looking inside the mufflers I was able to see the inner pipe that leads to the exit. The idea was simple, drill a hole on that pipe and let the noise come out.
So I did, I first drilled a small hole with a regular drill bit (the one you see in the picture), but the bit was so short that it was really hard to reach the pipe. So I went to the hardware store and got a foot long 1/2 inch wide bit for $12.
I widened the hole with the bigger bit, replaced the tire and installed the muffler.

So, how did it go? does it sound like a $500 Yoshimura? Nope, not even close. But it does make a little more noise.

Now 2 weeks later, I can honesty say it was worth it, it really sounds a little louder, specially when opening the gas and getting the engine on higher RPMs

Overall, a cheap mod to get a little more sound out of the stock exhaust. In my opinion it was a great mod.

Note: if you are considering doing this yourself, keep in mind that once you drill a hole on the muffler, there is no way back. As I said earlier, I am happy with the outcome, most likely I will buy some kind of after market exhaust in the future, but until then this a good cheap alternative.

Ride save. :thumbup

cb1000r-muffler-drilled.jpg

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
The only problem with stock muffler mods is that the thing still weighs 30 pounds, lol.

A couple people on here took it to the next level and cut the muffler open to remove that tube and install a straight through bypass.

I think it would be really easy to get something like a 45 degree polished exhaust elbow, weld/clamp a tip on it, and have an IXIL style exhaust for cheap. I would try it for fun, but I have a Yosh 3/4 system installed. Maybe if I get bored enough I will do something, but the Yoshimura mid-pipe is a pain to get on and off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem with stock muffler mods is that the thing still weighs 30 pounds, lol.

A couple people on here took it to the next level and cut the muffler open to remove that tube and install a straight through bypass.

I think it would be really easy to get something like a 45 degree polished exhaust elbow, weld/clamp a tip on it, and have an IXIL style exhaust for cheap. I would try it for fun, but I have a Yosh 3/4 system installed. Maybe if I get bored enough I will do something, but the Yoshimura mid-pipe is a pain to get on and off.
Yes, I notice the stock pipe is heavy, when I finally get an aftermarket one, I will use the stock for weightlifting exercises, can do some squats, and bench press... :cool

Looking at the IXIL, maybe in a near future.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
LOL, yeah, gotta keep them guns in shape for the ladies!

Fun useless trivia fact, the cat weighs 10lbs 0oz (about 4.5 kilo) and the muffler is 15lbs 0oz. The entire Yosh system weighs less than just the converter and provides a noticeable power bump as well as a sweet sound that makes me drool when I hear it. The stock exhaust is quite restrictive after the head pipes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts