Honda CB1000R Forum banner

Has anyone converted the NSC to a Clip-on handlebar?

8K views 42 replies 6 participants last post by  eptesicus 
#1 ·
So I've always been in love with the old Cafe Racer look, and in an effort to achieve just that on my CB1000R Black Edition, I've decided to completely change the handlebar set up to a set of Clip-ons. Has anyone done this themselves and know how it changes the feel of the bike?

I'm having Cognito Moto in Richmond, VA machine a custom, flat-top fork clamp for me, and I'll be moving all of the factory controls to the Vortex Racing 7° clip-ons that I recently ordered. Additionally, I'll be deleting the original turn signals and installing Motogadget M.Blaze Disc bar end turn signals and Motogadget M.View Spy bar end mirrors, and I'll be changing the grips to Motogadget rubber grips. (Yes, I am a simp for Motogadget!) I'll post pics as I go along.

#2 ·
Reactions: oldcorollas
#4 ·
I too am curious about this. My old 919 has clip-ons which I like, but traditional clip-ons are too low for my liking now to maintain some comfort. The tank doesn't lend itself to clip-ons unless they're straight, which I don't think would be comfortable. I put my hands on the front turn signals last night gauging a feel for straight clip-ons, since the turn signals clear the tank, but it'd be a no-go for me.

I did see the linked Daytona bars here though, and they look better than I expected, but still not 100% sold on them. I wish it had more pics around them. - HONDA CB1000R Custom

#5 ·
I'm waiting on the new top clamp still from Cognito Moto, but as soon as it arrives, I'm going to knock this project out and post pics. I've already changed out the rear tail lights for a Competition Werkes integrated light. Highly recommend it if you want a clean tail. And I've already pre-wired the left Clip-on for the Motogadget turn signals. It is a royal pain to do, so if you're interested, I can provide tips.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks! I've been curious about the integrated taillight as well. My 919 has one too. I'll certainly be following your progress.

I've ordered these Zeta handguard replacement turnsignals - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LV0Q5G/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_7ZAN9DYH0KB3WV07NAYD_0

I like the idea of body mounted turn signals, like the 2023 Monster has, but these will be smoke and mounted behind the top of the radiator cover, angled with the cover. I wanted a clean and factory look, and these were the only lights that I think I could pull it off with, without having to have something custom done.

Edit: Kinda like this -

#12 ·
Yes , that´s was the reason why i did not ended the cnversion on my 18

#9 ·
Have a pic of that happening? I'm curious about where the bars would have to be for clearance. I'm guessing you may need something that's actually raised and pushed out away from the mounting with some spacers of some kind. Maybe something like this, but imagine there being an inch spacer or so where the two clamps connect... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0248/5973/8163/products/12-2537-78BH1_1.jpg?v=1634231396

Given the tank design, I don't see a successful method of getting clip-ons on these bikes without either having the tank professionally modified, or severely limiting the turning radius.

#10 ·
Sorry, no pictures and I already took the Vortex brackets off. I'm going to send them back for a refund. I found a set of Woodcraft that are thinner and are 3 pieces, so I don't have to take the factory top clamp off again until the new one comes in. I experimented with the brackets once I got them off. I would have been able to just flip them over so that the bulky part is to the inside, away from the tank, but too little too late and I had a really hard time remounting the display to the underside of the top clamp. What a colossal pain in the butt!

This is what I'm going with, and it's what I initially wanted:

#13 ·
Automotive tire Bicycle part Tool Font Automotive wheel system

#14 ·
I got it! Driven Racing 50mm inch and a half rise clip ons with the riser part inverted. It's a much wider grip and it's comfortable to lean over. And it's a flat bar with no angled decline. I still have to wire in the Motogadget bar end turn signals, but that'll be easy. And I still need the top clamp from Cognito Moto and my seat is on its way back from New Church Moto. If you want a nice leather seat with nice stitching, give Ginger a shout at New Church Moto. She got it done really quick. What do you think?

Attachments

#16 ·
The wrist position at full lock is a little awkward but not uncomfortable, not gonna lie. But maybe I just have to get used to it. I haven't ridden it yet in this configuration, so we'll see. But sitting on it is much more comfortable and feels natural like a regular riding position. The bars themselves are the Woodcraft 13.5 inch, and they fit the Driven Racing brackets. So they're pretty long. The standard bars that come with most kits are not long enough to fit everything. And if you decide to do it yourself, you can go with the 12 inch ones, but it'll be a little tight.
As for full lock, it does go to full lock on both sides with about an 1/16 inch of clearance. And they're tilted back towards me just a little so they're not sticking straight out, but I like the wider feel. It's a bit more comfortable for me.

Attachments

#17 ·
This is great. I'm sure it'll feel great to ride. When you get a chance, I'd love to see some full side pictures and such with these on.

Too bad the DR clip-ons are discontinued! DCLO-50R-BK (Discontinued) | Driven Racing
I do see the newer Halo ones in stock at least on sites.

Woodcraft does have adjustable angle clip-ons with riser that are 35mm, nearly 1.5" rise. The down-side to them is the longest bars on them are 12", but the design of these look like they push the bars out further from the forks versus their non-adjustable version. 35mm Rise Side Mount Adjustable Angle Clipon Risers (with 7/8" bars) 35mm

#18 ·
Yeah, the Halos are what I got. Found them on RevZilla. And the Woodcraft bars were straight from their website. You'll need a 50mm clamp to do this, if decide to give it a try. 35 is way too small.

But I'll post the fully finished product once I get the new clamp and seat installed.

#21 ·
I've only been able to take her out on a few short rides this holiday weekend. It's been entirely too cold here in northern VA and there's been several patches of ice. But I have taken her out and the riding position isn't bad. I definitely need to get used to it. I need to find a set of rear sets that are a bit lower. I'm 5'10" and my legs are about 30 inches. I noticed that my hips ache a little bit from being leaned further over, but this may be due to a lot of factors from water intake that day to the cold temps to sports injuries. Does anyone know of a set of aftermarket rear sets that are of good quality? Once I finally get the new top clamp in (hopefully next week), I'm going to make a short video and post it to YouTube for everyone to see, going over the build list in detail.

#23 ·
#30 ·
This looks great. Congrats buddy, I bet you’re well pleased with her.

I have taken her out and the riding position isn't bad. I definitely need to get used to it. I need to find a set of rear sets that are a bit lower. I'm 5'10" and my legs are about 30 inches. I noticed that my hips ache a little bit from being leaned further over, but this may be due to a lot of factors from water intake that day to the cold temps to sports injuries. Does anyone know of a set of aftermarket rear sets that are of good quality?
This may sound odd, but if you could show us a photo of you sat on the bike holding on to the bars, that would be really helpful for a 6’2” lanky streak like me

#27 ·
Cognito Moto did the design work for me. I drove the bike down to their shop on a Friday afternoon and they got everything they needed to make the part. They have a very nice CNC mill that has a precision measuring feature that is accurate to 3/1000s of an inch or something like that. The total for the clamp was $550 I think. But that includes the measurements, design, machining, and anodizing. Well worth it. If you contact them and speak to Devin, the owner, I'm sure he still has the CAD files and wouldn't mind running one for you if you decide to do this yourself. Cognito Moto is now the only shop with a custom file for the CB1000R.

#33 ·
Can you tell me what the New Church Moto seat ran you? I'm fine with my factory seat for now, but am throwing together a wishlist. 😁

Also, just a great bike, man. Thank you for exploring the clip-on route and showing the rest of us that it's possible with these tanks! I love so much about your bike. I'm a fan of the factory badges, but love those classic decals you ran. I also took off my pillion pegs, but I think I'm gonna roll with the rear seat over the rear cowl, just because of how much slimmer it is. Do you get any more storage space though with the cowl? I have some small electronics in mine now for USB power and an ESP board for sensing the bike for home automation, and although it takes up no space, a bit more could be helpful for a proper mini-toolkit.

And does your bike have a name?

#34 ·
Can you tell me what the New Church Moto seat ran you? I'm fine with my factory seat for now, but am throwing together a wishlist. 😁

Also, just a great bike, man. Thank you for exploring the clip-on route and showing the rest of us that it's possible with these tanks! I love so much about your bike. I'm a fan of the factory badges, but love those classic decals you ran. I also took off my pillion pegs, but I think I'm gonna roll with the rear seat over the rear cowl, just because of how much slimmer it is. Do you get any more storage space though with the cowl? I have some small electronics in mine now for USB power and an ESP board for sensing the bike for home automation, and although it takes up no space, a bit more could be helpful for a proper mini-toolkit.

And does your bike have a name?
She does not have a name. Still working on that. The seat was $500 flat plus the cost of shipping it to her. I haven't really tested the "trunk" space. I bought the bike with no rear seat. It just came with the solid cowl. The cowl has that extra padding on it which is good for your butt to grip on to when letting her rip on the highway.

Glad I could inspire some of y'all. I saw what Gannett Design and Fuhrer Moto did with their 2019 and wanted to achieve a similar look and stance. Hopefully it's the only one of it's kind in the US. 😎

#36 · (Edited)
OK, I'm still clip-on shopping and looking at options. Looking at your photos, can you explain why you had to go with the longer Woodcraft bars over what came from Driven? It looks like there's loads of room. Is it the clutch cable? That makes you push the controls out? Is it the tank at full lock? I'm now looking at the Apex adjustable riser clip-ons, which can't take longer bars. I'm also looking at the ABM's, which are really expensive here in the states. They were used on that Army custom bike from Gannet Design. The bars are short, but it looks like everything cleared. That said, they also pushed out the top of the headlight by 6 cm, so that may have helped them with the cables. We're a little lucky that ours don't have traditional throttle cables at least.

#37 ·
So, I went with the extra long ones cause initially I was also running a quadlock mount for my phone on the left side and it wouldn't all fit and clear the tank properly. The extra length helped clear the tank and kept me from pushing them straight out from the forks. I also like having the bars wider. It's more comfortable for me. The first ones I tried were the Vortex 7° bars and the pinch point was so big that it made contact with the inside of the tank and the bars were too short to clear the tank with those massive button clusters on there. I think the 12ish inch ones will work fine but the longer ones let you push the button clusters out so they touch further back on the tank. Like a longer fulcrum type of thing.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure they have a low profile bolting point so they clear the inside of the tank or make sure they're angled from where the bars stick out from the forks, and by that I mean, the Driven Racing rings have bolting points that are about 45° from where the bar comes out of the fork. And the Driven ones are 4 piece so you can really get it perfect when you mount it.

#38 ·
Thanks. I kept looking at the adjustable Woodcraft ones, but looking at the angle of the mounts, when picturing them inverted, I started to worry that the bars wouldn't then be able to angle down any, or even be horizontal. ABM has the multiClip Sport Wide mount that can push the bar mounting point further from the fork (14mm further out from the standard clamp). I thought about going this route to give myself the most flexibility. The Gannet Design bike uses the standard mount, but I'm unsure if they made any changes to the stops for full-lock, or what.

The Apex 3" riser clip-ons are just like the ABM standards, but with a far less robust clamp for the forks, and the bars are just shy of 10". They are about $140 cheaper than the ABMs though. I think that may be the route to go for myself. I just wish those ABMs weren't so damn expensive in the states. If I need to move the headlight out some, I can do that. If anything, it'd probably fit the style better if it were pushed out a bit with the clip-ons, just not angled down like Gannet's bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.