Honda CB1000R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've only been able to take her out on a few short rides this holiday weekend. It's been entirely too cold here in northern VA and there's been several patches of ice. But I have taken her out and the riding position isn't bad. I definitely need to get used to it. I need to find a set of rear sets that are a bit lower. I'm 5'10" and my legs are about 30 inches. I noticed that my hips ache a little bit from being leaned further over, but this may be due to a lot of factors from water intake that day to the cold temps to sports injuries. Does anyone know of a set of aftermarket rear sets that are of good quality? Once I finally get the new top clamp in (hopefully next week), I'm going to make a short video and post it to YouTube for everyone to see, going over the build list in detail.

· Registered
37 Posts
I've only been able to take her out on a few short rides this holiday weekend. It's been entirely too cold here in northern VA and there's been several patches of ice. But I have taken her out and the riding position isn't bad. I definitely need to get used to it. I need to find a set of rear sets that are a bit lower. I'm 5'10" and my legs are about 30 inches. I noticed that my hips ache a little bit from being leaned further over, but this may be due to a lot of factors from water intake that day to the cold temps to sports injuries. Does anyone know of a set of aftermarket rear sets that are of good quality? Once I finally get the new top clamp in (hopefully next week), I'm going to make a short video and post it to YouTube for everyone to see, going over the build list in detail.
Thanks for the post-install report! Good luck on the rearsets - I haven't seen any. I have Rizomas on my 919, but they don't seem to have them for the NSCs.

· Registered
633 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If anyone is interested, check out the video I posted on YouTube, just quickly going over what all I did to the bike. No fancy production or anything. Enjoy!

Attachments

· Registered
37 Posts
Damn, man. That looks great. I like the upright riding position now, but that looks so good...

So how much did the top fork clamp set you back, if you don't mind me asking? Did you do the CAD design or did the shop?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Damn, man. That looks great. I like the upright riding position now, but that looks so good...

So how much did the top fork clamp set you back, if you don't mind me asking? Did you do the CAD design or did the shop?
Cognito Moto did the design work for me. I drove the bike down to their shop on a Friday afternoon and they got everything they needed to make the part. They have a very nice CNC mill that has a precision measuring feature that is accurate to 3/1000s of an inch or something like that. The total for the clamp was $550 I think. But that includes the measurements, design, machining, and anodizing. Well worth it. If you contact them and speak to Devin, the owner, I'm sure he still has the CAD files and wouldn't mind running one for you if you decide to do this yourself. Cognito Moto is now the only shop with a custom file for the CB1000R.

· Registered
37 Posts
Cognito Moto did the design work for me. I drove the bike down to their shop on a Friday afternoon and they got everything they needed to make the part. They have a very nice CNC mill that has a precision measuring feature that is accurate to 3/1000s of an inch or something like that. The total for the clamp was $550 I think. But that includes the measurements, design, machining, and anodizing. Well worth it. If you contact them and speak to Devin, the owner, I'm sure he still has the CAD files and wouldn't mind running one for you if you decide to do this yourself. Cognito Moto is now the only shop with a custom file for the CB1000R.
$550 doesn't seem unreasonable, especially factoring in the design work. I went ahead and shot them an e-mail! I wonder if we could arrange for a discounted rate for a group buy? I wonder how many people here would be interested.

· Registered
2019 NSC+
30 Posts
If anyone is interested, check out the video I posted on YouTube, just quickly going over what all I did to the bike. No fancy production or anything. Enjoy!

This looks great. Congrats buddy, I bet you’re well pleased with her.

I have taken her out and the riding position isn't bad. I definitely need to get used to it. I need to find a set of rear sets that are a bit lower. I'm 5'10" and my legs are about 30 inches. I noticed that my hips ache a little bit from being leaned further over, but this may be due to a lot of factors from water intake that day to the cold temps to sports injuries. Does anyone know of a set of aftermarket rear sets that are of good quality?
This may sound odd, but if you could show us a photo of you sat on the bike holding on to the bars, that would be really helpful for a 6’2” lanky streak like me

· Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure. Let me know what they say about cutting one out for you.
It was more expensive than I expected considering they've already done the CAD work, but I also can't fault them.

"The price is the same as our 1-1/2" rise triple which is $455.99. To have it anodized black is $477.99. Standard shipping with UPS is $10."

This looks great. Congrats buddy, I bet you’re well pleased with her.

This may sound odd, but if you could show us a photo of you sat on the bike holding on to the bars, that would be really helpful for a 6’2” lanky streak like me
Also curious as a 6' guy with 32" inseem.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It was more expensive than I expected considering they've already done the CAD work, but I also can't fault them.

"The price is the same as our 1-1/2" rise triple which is $455.99. To have it anodized black is $477.99. Standard shipping with UPS is $10."

Also curious as a 6' guy with 32" inseem.
Not surprised on the price. They're not the cheapest shop ever but they do good work. At 6' you'll be fine. I took it out for a longer ride today and I'm definitely more used to it now.

· Registered
37 Posts
Can you tell me what the New Church Moto seat ran you? I'm fine with my factory seat for now, but am throwing together a wishlist. 😁

Also, just a great bike, man. Thank you for exploring the clip-on route and showing the rest of us that it's possible with these tanks! I love so much about your bike. I'm a fan of the factory badges, but love those classic decals you ran. I also took off my pillion pegs, but I think I'm gonna roll with the rear seat over the rear cowl, just because of how much slimmer it is. Do you get any more storage space though with the cowl? I have some small electronics in mine now for USB power and an ESP board for sensing the bike for home automation, and although it takes up no space, a bit more could be helpful for a proper mini-toolkit.

And does your bike have a name?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Can you tell me what the New Church Moto seat ran you? I'm fine with my factory seat for now, but am throwing together a wishlist. 😁

Also, just a great bike, man. Thank you for exploring the clip-on route and showing the rest of us that it's possible with these tanks! I love so much about your bike. I'm a fan of the factory badges, but love those classic decals you ran. I also took off my pillion pegs, but I think I'm gonna roll with the rear seat over the rear cowl, just because of how much slimmer it is. Do you get any more storage space though with the cowl? I have some small electronics in mine now for USB power and an ESP board for sensing the bike for home automation, and although it takes up no space, a bit more could be helpful for a proper mini-toolkit.

And does your bike have a name?
She does not have a name. Still working on that. The seat was $500 flat plus the cost of shipping it to her. I haven't really tested the "trunk" space. I bought the bike with no rear seat. It just came with the solid cowl. The cowl has that extra padding on it which is good for your butt to grip on to when letting her rip on the highway.

Glad I could inspire some of y'all. I saw what Gannett Design and Fuhrer Moto did with their 2019 and wanted to achieve a similar look and stance. Hopefully it's the only one of it's kind in the US. 😎

· Registered
37 Posts
OK, I'm still clip-on shopping and looking at options. Looking at your photos, can you explain why you had to go with the longer Woodcraft bars over what came from Driven? It looks like there's loads of room. Is it the clutch cable? That makes you push the controls out? Is it the tank at full lock? I'm now looking at the Apex adjustable riser clip-ons, which can't take longer bars. I'm also looking at the ABM's, which are really expensive here in the states. They were used on that Army custom bike from Gannet Design. The bars are short, but it looks like everything cleared. That said, they also pushed out the top of the headlight by 6 cm, so that may have helped them with the cables. We're a little lucky that ours don't have traditional throttle cables at least.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
OK, I'm still clip-on shopping and looking at options. Looking at your photos, can you explain why you had to go with the longer Woodcraft bars over what came from Driven? It looks like there's loads of room. Is it the clutch cable? That makes you push the controls out? Is it the tank at full lock? I'm now looking at the Apex adjustable riser clip-ons, which can't take longer bars. I'm also looking at the ABM's, which are really expensive here in the states. They were used on that Army custom bike from Gannet Design. The bars are short, but it looks like everything cleared. That said, they also pushed out the top of the headlight by 6 cm, so that may have helped them with the cables. We're a little lucky that ours don't have traditional throttle cables at least.
So, I went with the extra long ones cause initially I was also running a quadlock mount for my phone on the left side and it wouldn't all fit and clear the tank properly. The extra length helped clear the tank and kept me from pushing them straight out from the forks. I also like having the bars wider. It's more comfortable for me. The first ones I tried were the Vortex 7° bars and the pinch point was so big that it made contact with the inside of the tank and the bars were too short to clear the tank with those massive button clusters on there. I think the 12ish inch ones will work fine but the longer ones let you push the button clusters out so they touch further back on the tank. Like a longer fulcrum type of thing.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure they have a low profile bolting point so they clear the inside of the tank or make sure they're angled from where the bars stick out from the forks, and by that I mean, the Driven Racing rings have bolting points that are about 45° from where the bar comes out of the fork. And the Driven ones are 4 piece so you can really get it perfect when you mount it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Thanks. I kept looking at the adjustable Woodcraft ones, but looking at the angle of the mounts, when picturing them inverted, I started to worry that the bars wouldn't then be able to angle down any, or even be horizontal. ABM has the multiClip Sport Wide mount that can push the bar mounting point further from the fork (14mm further out from the standard clamp). I thought about going this route to give myself the most flexibility. The Gannet Design bike uses the standard mount, but I'm unsure if they made any changes to the stops for full-lock, or what.

The Apex 3" riser clip-ons are just like the ABM standards, but with a far less robust clamp for the forks, and the bars are just shy of 10". They are about $140 cheaper than the ABMs though. I think that may be the route to go for myself. I just wish those ABMs weren't so damn expensive in the states. If I need to move the headlight out some, I can do that. If anything, it'd probably fit the style better if it were pushed out a bit with the clip-ons, just not angled down like Gannet's bike.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks. I kept looking at the adjustable Woodcraft ones, but looking at the angle of the mounts, when picturing them inverted, I started to worry that the bars wouldn't then be able to angle down any, or even be horizontal. ABM has the multiClip Sport Wide mount that can push the bar mounting point further from the fork (14mm further out from the standard clamp). I thought about going this route to give myself the most flexibility. The Gannet Design bike uses the standard mount, but I'm unsure if they made any changes to the stops for full-lock, or what.

The Apex 3" riser clip-ons are just like the ABM standards, but with a far less robust clamp for the forks, and the bars are just shy of 10". They are about $140 cheaper than the ABMs though. I think that may be the route to go for myself. I just wish those ABMs weren't so damn expensive in the states. If I need to move the headlight out some, I can do that. If anything, it'd probably fit the style better if it were pushed out a bit with the clip-ons, just not angled down like Gannet's bike.
I know for a fact that they didn't change the steer stops. They just took the factory top clamp and machined it flat. I think I looked at those other ones but they were outrageously expensive. :/

· Registered
2019 NSC+
30 Posts
I’ve just seen these clip-on’s on eBay..

Bicycle part Font Tool Camera accessory Auto part
REVO Tour stubble for Honda CB 1000 R Black Edition (21-) SC80
€279,95

FACTS:

• Highest safety due to triple clamping with 44mm height
  • Adjustable steering tube bending of 6° for additional optimisation of ergonomics
  • All individual parts can be reordered separately
  • All parts are variably useable for right and left
  • Steering tube - maximum useable handle length = 23cm
  • Steering tube outer diameter 22.2mm with inner diameter 12mm

21 - 40 of 43 Posts