Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys know what diameter the CB1000R NSC handlebars are at their clamps please ?

I want to try an inch / inch and a half of riser

Anyone done this yet ?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nope.
Why not pick yourself up a cheap vernier?
Will double up as a spanner, screwdriver or hammer too.
Winning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any of you guys know what diameter the CB1000R NSC handlebars are at their clamps please ?

I want to try an inch / inch and a half of riser

Anyone done this yet ?
I’m looking at this option myself at the moment. I’ve measured with my vernier and they are 28-29mm or as some brands put it 1.1/8 inch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Found these risers. Bit pricey but they look nice (silver) and allow easy adjustment of the bars backwards or forwards, unlike most risers that just rise the height.

https://www.bikermart.co.uk/SW-Motech-28mm-Fat-Bar-Vario-BarBack-50~60mm-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Risers
just a quick note for you to remember, which I haven’t had time to do yet, is to check to see how much you can rise them and still be able to move the steering lock to lock without putting strain on the cables. I’m guessing at the moment it won’t be anymore than 30mm rise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just added 20mm handlebar risers to mine now, it’s not a lot but enough to make a difference, feels good. 20mm goes on perfect, anymore and the brake line would be under strain. Unless there is any slack under the tank that could be taken up, which I doubt there is.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just added 20mm handlebar risers to mine now, it’s not a lot but enough to make a difference, feels good. 20mm goes on perfect, anymore and the brake line would be under strain. Unless there is any slack under the tank that could be taken up, which I doubt there is.
Are you able to show me a photo of these risers installed on the bike please ?

And a link to the supplier ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a picture of mine, they do come with top clamps but used original clamp to keep stock look.

https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/bar-riser-for-28-mm-handlebar-h20-mm-silver-
View attachment 45480 View attachment 45482
Many thanks for that.

You reckon 20mm of rise is about as much as can be achieved with the original cables and brake hose ?

I like the idea of 30mm. Just how tight is the brake hose with 20 ?

Like the R&G meter visor (well that's what Honda call it ???), but cannot find it on the R&G website.
From where did you purchase it and how much did it cost please ?
When fitted is there a cavity between the back of it and the clocks ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Many thanks for that.

You reckon 20mm of rise is about as much as can be achieved with the original cables and brake hose ?

I like the idea of 30mm. Just how tight is the brake hose with 20 ?

Like the R&G meter visor (well that's what Honda call it ???), but cannot find it on the R&G website.
From where did you purchase it and how much did it cost please ?
When fitted is there a cavity between the back of it and the clocks ?
Well with the 20 they fit nice/comfortable, I thought about 30 but I think the brake line and clutch cable would be pulled to the limit up against the top fork yoke. You might get away with it but I didn’t wanna risk it.

Oh the meter visor is the Honda one, I just put a R&G sticker on it I had lying around, I thought it looks a bit bland without something on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well with the 20 they fit nice/comfortable, I thought about 30 but I think the brake line and clutch cable would be pulled to the limit up against the top fork yoke. You might get away with it but I didn’t wanna risk it.

Oh the meter visor is the Honda one, I just put a R&G sticker on it I had lying around, I thought it looks a bit bland without something on it.
Many thanks.

Do you find the ride noticeably more comfortable with that 20mm of rise ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Many thanks.

Do you find the ride noticeably more comfortable with that 20mm of rise ?
It’s only 20mm but I felt the difference straight away, obviously it’s not massive but anything is better.
I suppose you could try the 30 and if you are careful with them not to damage them and packaging you could send them back for an exchange, that’s if you can be bother with the hassle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the Honda meter visor fitted is there a cavity between it and the clocks ?

Reason I ask is I intend to hide the power pack for my Garmin sat nav here, if possible.
I have placed the pack against the back of the clocks to size it up and found it fits neatly there, but want to cover / hide it, not only for weather protection, but also for looks.

12 volt supply will come from the Honda accessory socket fitted to the left of my clocks, the lead then runs to the 5 volt power pack (which I need to tuck away neatly) and then continues to the sat nav mount attached to my handlebars, most likely fitted centrally on top of the handlebar clamps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
With the Honda meter visor fitted is there a cavity between it and the clocks ?

Reason I ask is I intend to hide the power pack for my Garmin sat nav here, if possible.
I have placed the pack against the back of the clocks to size it up and found it fits neatly there, but want to cover / hide it, not only for weather protection, but also for looks.

12 volt supply will come from the Honda accessory socket fitted to the left of my clocks, the lead then runs to the 5 volt power pack (which I need to tuck away neatly) and then continues to the sat nav mount attached to my handlebars, most likely fitted centrally on top of the handlebar clamps.
Yes there is a cavity space behind and in between the fixing bracket, I’ve a had a measure up without taking the visor off and it seems to be:-
Height 60mm
Width 55mm
Depth 30mm
Here’s a pic of the bracket. What size is your power pack?

73871A98-D79F-4577-82B2-9025C1204F8F.jpeg

Width 55mm

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes there is a cavity space behind and in between the fixing bracket, I’ve a had a measure up without taking the visor off and it seems to be:-
Height 60mm
Width 55mm
Depth 30mm
Here’s a pic of the bracket. What size is your power pack?

View attachment 45488

Width 55mm
Thanks for that.

Garmin transformer / power pack is :

50 mm long - this would be placed within the 55 mm width, with the leads coming off each end fitting through the bracket holes I can see in your photo.

Width is 45 mm which will therefore easily fit within the 60 mm height you measured.

25 mm thick / deep, which will fit in the 30 mm you measured.

Snug, vibration free fit with foam packed around it.

Only fly in the ointment is the £195 Honda want for the meter visor :mad:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fitted SW Motech 20mm handlebar risers to my bike last weekend.

Rode it with them fitted for the first time today.

Riding position definitely feels a bit more upright and comfortable.

Used supplied SW Motech top clamps instead of the Honda top clamp bridge.
Honda item looks much better, but using the SW Motech items makes it far easier to attach my sat nav to the very centre of the handlebars.
Sat nav will be mounted as close as possible to the bars / top clamps, so the lack of the original Honda bridge won't be so noticeable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
And where did you get your 20mm risers from as I’m looking to do it myself

1 - 20 of 21 Posts