Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a lazy git when it comes to cleaning my CB. I keep it generally clean but compared with the amazing pictures I've seen on here, my bike's a dirty beast. I have the spring-cleaning bug at the moment, so give me your tips for properly cleaning the bike.

I'm particularly interested to know how you clean muck out of all the little nooks and crannies. I can get the bike looking superficially clean but there's still loads of grime in all the difficult-to-get-to areas. Do you use some kind of spray-on cleaner to dissolve this stuff? All tips welcome, but please remember that I'm (a) lazy and (b) lazy, so tips that involve lots of time and elbow grease will probably not get utilised!

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
663 Posts
but seriously,

for initial cleaning I use WD bike spray and a carefully aimed pressure washer followed by vulcanet wipes to detail.
Clean micro fibre cloths are king!
Then Meguiars on body work and Muc off MC protectant everywhere else(brakes obviously excluded!)

The later stuff makes next time a lot easier!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
For chain cleaning and general degreasing, this stuff is awesome! Spray it on, rinse it off. It doesn't discolor the paint and no chain/bearing destroying pressure washer needed. I only use it down low on the really nasty stuff.

Made by Maxima. I'm not sure if you guys have it over there or not.

78-9924.jpg

For everything else, good ole' Hondabrite.

mGhtGH9C8tj3sgZxX98xpZA.jpg

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yeah, it can force water in bad places and will shorten chain life when it forces water past the o-rings. I do like the steam cleaner minibreaker talked about, though. So long as the pressure is low, it would probably work good. I would still avoid the chain, but everything else would be OK.

That's why I like the Maxima cleaner. I just spray it on, let it sit 10 minutes, maybe give it a quick once over with a brush if it's really nasty, and rinse it off with a low pressure garden hose. Simples!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Pressure washers can be fine if you know what your doing as is #0000 wire wool for the exhaust with a light cutting paste, as with all cleaning if you want to make it easier then you tend to have to go up a notch on the '' aggressive '' nature of the products, more elbow grease means less harsh chemicals etc..... i use the time and effort equation but as you said its not for everyone.

·
Administrator
4,048 Posts
If you can, once a year (maybe during the winter season) get it up on stands, take off the wheels and mudguards, chain guard, hugger and sprocket cover etc and go to town on the brakes, calipers, wheels, disks, exhaust, swingarm, shock,engine etc - it's a perfect way and time to really get the sh*t out, do a proper clean and properly check the bike over...washing the bike and detailing what you can see is good, but can be superficial ! It helps you keep on top of it during the riding season - I normally take my bike off the road for about 6 weeks in deepest winter and once the road salt goes down...as soon as the temp hits around 7-8 degrees C and above it's ride time !!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I follow Sovrec's advice but then I've only had the bike a year :)

I use Motec or Mucoff. Wet the bike, I use a watering can, then spray the cleaner everywhere, leave for 5 minutes then employ the watering can again to rinse it off. I then dry it with a good quality terry towel. If I'm feeling extra OCD I'll polish it with Maquires gold and finish it off with this Swissvax UK
Smells like mango and coconut :) and Autosol for the pipes, if they're pretty bad the newly discovered Yoshimura stain remover is coming out and then AC50 just to make sure

·
Registered
274 Posts
Autobrite direct Snow foam (magifoam) and low pressure wash. gets in all the nooks and crannies and no cloth or rubbing needed. Sit back and watch the dirt run off. Finish of with black magic carnauba wax

·
Administrator
4,048 Posts
Forget pressure washers (I never put one near a bike - IMHO I do think they are potentially damaging and overkill on two wheels) , forget hoses (and also beat any hosepipe ban ! ) - all you ever need is a 5l pump action water sprayer - full control over water and minimises the water you use - I use SDoc cleaner - agitate where possible - pre-rinse or wash off using the manually pressurised spray - unbeatable and simple !

B&Q etc have these - look for special offers etc ...

washer.jpg

·
Registered
887 Posts
Anyone use Simple Green? I had a Harley for little while (I know, and I'm embarassed to admit it) that had a black engine. I used to spray the engine with simple green, let sit for a bit, then rinse off with a hose. The amount of brown that would come off was unreal. Engine would look clean until I cleaned it haha. Anyways, anyone use it on a CB? I used Simple Green on engine and standard car wash on the body work.

Anyways, this is a good topic. Most my other bikes have had plastic (sportbikes) and they were easy to clean.

·
Administrator
7,118 Posts
I use nothing flash, no fancy brushes or branded products. A sponge and some cheap pH neutral shampoo from Halfords does it for me.

The most important ingredient is elbow grease! Put the effort in and anything is possible!

My bike is 30 months old, it has done just short of 6000 miles but has seen some horrendous weather (but no salt).

You don't need fancy products or gadgets to keep your bike looking good, just time and effort!
That looks superb Geordie, I have the same approach as you mate.:thumbup

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Bike looks great, Geordie. :thumbup

Although, I believe I have found the best way to get in all those nooks and crannies...

1336989564SBK Monza 14.JPG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts