Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel that the gearing is a little to short my self also. So I'm changing the front sprocket to a 17t to give it a little more breathing space between gears, if I feel that I need more I'll start dropping the rear sprocket but I've heard good things by just doing the front sprocket to the 17t 👍🏼

·
Registered
16 Posts
I needed a new chain for my 2012 and after years of searching for 7th gear, so I went to a 17t drive sprocket and 43 tooth rear. In case anyone with the older generation CB is pondering doing this, I can share some details that might save you some headache.

I used a JT Sprockets JTR1340.43 rear and a Renthal 315A-530-17 drive. The 17t front was a little tricky to find right now, otherwise I probably would've just gotten the same brand, although it doesn't really matter. The chain is a DID DA530VX3- I expected that with the smaller rear and bigger front, the original 116-link chain would probably fit, and that did turn out to be the case. I'm in roughly the middle of the range of adjustment with this combination.

The JT rear is silver although my oem was black, I don't really notice the difference in appearance since not much of the ring is visible anyway.

I didn't need to do anything which wasn't in the standard process for replacing the chain and sprockets, so any of the youtube videos or the shop manual are fine. Amusingly, for me the most difficult part of the job was getting the front sprocket cover guard off. Once it's unscrewed, its tricky to get it over the clutch actuator rod and past the coolant hose and there was a great deal of swearing. I opted to disconnect the clutch slave cylinder and wound up sucking air into the line and having to bleed the clutch. I had a vacuum bleeder on hand and needed to use it as I had trouble getting the air out without it. Also because I am moron, I neglected to re-fit the chain guide before putting the sprocket cover back on, so I had the distinct pleasure of taking it off a second time.

I'm not a sport rider, but I do live in an area in the US where many rural roads have 70+mph speed limits, and the highways are occasionally 80+. For years I've sort of dreaded the CB on long straight routes because the droning and buzzing were so tedious. With this new drive ratio, cruising in the 65-75 range is much more pleasant. Starting from a stop now feels like any of my other bikes, whereas before the CB felt like a tractor in first gear. The gearbox ratios are still pretty close, so changing the ratio by a few teeth like this doesn't make a night and day difference, but at least for the kind of riding I do, this combination feels vastly more pleasant and I regret not having done it sooner. Also I'm glad I did the 43t rear from the start since I can't avoid a lot of the highway miles here and I think doing the front on its own would have left me wanting a little more.

Anyhow hope someone out there might find this useful.

·
Registered
104 Posts
GooseYard, I'm toying with the idea of doing the very same with my 2021 Black Edition, for the same reason. My question to our group in general is, how will this affect all the electronics on the '21??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pretty sure the ECU is not going to like it
Yeah that's what I figgered. The NSC is actually geared very similar to my VFR 800. The "little" V4 needs to be spinning those revs. The big inline 4 feels like it's spinning that fast for nothing. And yeah, I get it. It's so the NSC will pull yer ears back in 6th at any speed. Oh well, when I want the 'relaxed' motor feel, I can ride my CB1100EX.

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition
74 Posts
Agree with 3rdBike. I’ve had a couple of CB1100’s myself and they are a completely different animal. Gearing on those is very tall, 4th, 5th and 6th especially. Very relaxed compared to the 1000R (and many others TBH) but the trade off IMO is the dynamic agility, punch and light weight. On very long boring straight fast main roads then the CB1100 would be my choice because cruising rpm’s are so low but for roads with bends, hills, corners, pretty much anything else the 1000R wins every time. For me. It’s why I no longer have the 1100’s (nice bikes though). I wouldn’t mess with your gearing on the 21 NSC, it is what it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel that the gearing is a little to short my self also. So I'm changing the front sprocket to a 17t to give it a little more breathing space between gears, if I feel that I need more I'll start dropping the rear sprocket but I've heard good things by just doing the front sprocket to the 17t 👍🏼
Hi, just wondering how you've got on with the 17T? I'm about to renew chain and sprockets and was thinking along the same lines.
Thanks in avance

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,837 Posts
this was much discussed 'back in the day', especially by suzukijo. here are a couple links if you want to go down the rat-hole... (overall, I liked 17 for the front; didn't change thre rear...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts