Honda CB1000R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
'21 CB1000R
147 Posts
Thankfully, 87or 91 non-ethanol is pretty abundant here in Okla. I've got 3 stations within a couple miles that carry it. That's all I run in my cars and bikes.

· Registered
2021 CB1000R (Black Ed)
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I think you guys should take my MPG with a grain a salt because my CB is under 2,000 miles. I find that, from my previous experiences, MPG really does not settle down until the engine has gone through, at least, 2-3,000 miles for engine to truly settle down from being new.

Just filled another tank and Fuelly.com is reporting 45 MPG. That's in line with my other two CBR1000RR's.

· Registered
304 Posts
I think you guys should take my MPG with a grain a salt...
Fuelly.com is reporting 45 MPG. That's in line with my other two CBR1000RR's.
A full salt container
Because that's a hell of a lot better mpg than the Honda factory reports

Font Rectangle Parallel Magenta Number

Congrats for the fuel economy!
Never ever had a bike that could beat the factory numbers.

More than 10% better mpg than HONDA factory tests.
You're legend man.:cool:

· Registered
2021 CB1000R (Black Ed)
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for sharing the info.

Here's an interesting vid, which many of you may have already seen it but just in case ...

· Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,844 Posts
over the past decade, 2 CBs, and roughly 150,000 kms, for highway riding I get consumption of about 6.5L/100kms (which is how we record such things here in Canada) . that's 43 mpg Imperial, and 36 mpg US. I almost never ride freeways; almost always secondary routes. and givin' 'er a bit would be typical. yrmv...

· Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,844 Posts
p.s. allow me to tell a little tale illustrating fuel consumption, with myself bearing the brunt. several years ago, headed for the Black Hills in South Dakota, I took off north out of Douglas WY up hwy 59. this is VERY deserted country, and I got it into my head that I'd like to see if I could cover 100 miles in one hour. I therefore cranked the bike up to about 180 kph / 110 mph and hung on. every few minutes I'd see traffic coming the other way and back off to maybe 140 kph / 85 mph. the brief breaks were refreshing. I got to Wright ( which is simply an intersection) and turned east on 450, and I realized I was behind the required pace, so I wicked it up to 200-210 kph / 125/130 mph. there was virtually NO traffic. I watched the time tick down, and the miles click up, but I had 'wasted' too much time on the first half, and I ended at 158 kilometers in one hour, just 3km short of the goal. and then I looked at the gas gauge... which was already flashing! Newcastle was still about 25 miles away, so I took to coasting as much as I could, and riding at maybe 40 mph in a high gear otherwise. eight miles out of town, the bike quit and I coasted to a halt. luckily, within a few minutes another motorcyclist came upon the scene, and after some discussion, a refueling expedition was mounted. ( thank you Dave from Boise! ) bottom line, that represented about 25 mpg US / 32 mpg Imp. well worth the inconvenience!

· Registered
2021 CB1000R (Black Ed)
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes, high speed = high fuel consumption.
40-55 MPH seems to be the optimal speed for best fuel consumption.

At 1,884 miles, I think my CB's engine is stabilizing in its MPG. In the last 3 tank fill-ups, I am consistently getting around 45 MPG (US Gallons). This is consistent with my other 2 CBR1000RR, which the CB's engine was derived from. And, I was not riding like a grandma. Took it up to 90 MPH just for the fun of it and rode regular. Feel free to inspect my records in Fuelly.com provide below. Mostly rode on country roads at 55 MPH or less.

· Registered
304 Posts
... I am consistently getting around 45 MPG (US Gallons)...
A lot higher mileage than Honda professional testers.
The older sluggish gas guzzler CB1000R from last decade was estimated 38mpg.

Some of us get less mpg.

BTW I don't use no app but keep all gas receipts
-service vehicle and tax deduction, written proof needed-

The CB1000R euro5 is barely rated 40 mpg on the WMTC test
in use since 2013 by the 4 Japan motorcycle manufacturers.
Tested by professional riders and stamped by company executives:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

Your mpg figures are on par with a 10 minutes WMTC part 1 or reduced speed test part 1
avg speed between 23.6 and 24.4 km/h.

Test ride by professional factory riders.
Paid plenty good money to ply all tricks of the trade and wiggle the highest mpg!

Some grandmas can ride faster.
Post 2013 WMTC numbers, your mpg is in the first part bracket!
mpg (U.S.): [41.7-50] [27.6-33.1] [31.1-37.3] avg 38.3

Kept the old wheezy CB1000R MY2009 for 5 months and 6 days
14 852 km, a tenth of @doser mileage
at 6.4l/100km, bit less than 37 mpg

The CBR1000RR MY2007 rode for 11 months and 2 weeks
34 177 km at avg 6.3l/100km 37 mpg half a mile farther than the CB1000R.
The CB1000R is heavier than the RR, makes less power, and has no fairing.
Yes, high speed = high fuel consumption.
Hence the slower CB1000R lower mpg.

After 11 015 km the Euro 5 CB1000R NSC never ever reached the WMTC rated 40mpg!
Autobahn stretches might have a way of shooting down avg mpg.

· Registered
2021 CB1000R (Black Ed)
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
As I have said, my usual country road average speeds are in the range of 45-55 MPH and the last 3 tank refills recorded around 43-46 MPG.

· Registered
304 Posts
...and the last 3 tank refills recorded around 43-46 MPG.
Can't tell first hand, 'coz I have or drive no car.
Nevertheless I read about how some car makers hid an ECU cheater Easter egg
that messed-up the tests to show better mpg and less emission.

You, Sir, may have stumbled
on a much more foxier commercial trick by Honda.

Honda reports a lower test value mpg.
While IRL you log 10% or 12% more mpg,
no small beer.

Could also be specific for the North-American motorcycle customer.
Some gullible mugs can't even,
coasting downhill in a tailwind,
reach the Honda test mpg!

O weh :cry:

· Registered
2021 CB1000R (Black Ed)
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I just gone for a longer ride today (close to 2 hour), on country roads again, cruising between 45 - 55 MPH and went to fill up: it is even better this time at 47 MPG.
One thing has changed though: ambient temp is around 65-67 degree F (previously, it was most in the 40's - 50's).

PS: Just to be clear here --- I'm not competing, just sharing useful information.

Reactions: Bevo

· Registered
34 Posts
How far are you riding with the last bar flashing to get almost 4 gallons in the tank? I've rode ~10 miles with the last bar flashing before refilling and only filled about 3.5 gallons.

I'm guessing it's about 1 gallon remaining when it starts flashing?
My recollection is that the reserve is 0.93 gallons so you are very close.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts