Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CB1000R // SC80 // Silver
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the SC80 takes 16.2L of fuel.
When I first started riding the bike, I calculated that this would mean every "line" on the dash is 2.7L … as 6 lines x 2.7L would exactly be 16.2L

After getting utterly lost somewhere in the wilderness (DEFFO not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy!), it turned out my bike was making empty threats – not unlike my ex girlfriend.

WE'RE DONE!!
… okay NOW we're done!
DOOOON'T TEST ME! We're just about done!

… but we kept going and going and the SC80 just wouldn't run out of fuel (THANK GOD!)

MY QUESTION IS:
Has anyone ever calculated how much "one line" on the display actually is worth in litres? And after the reserve starting to flash, what happens exactly til the bike actually dies? How far can I push it … before I have to … you know … "push it"? HAHA! Okay, I'll show myself out.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
661 Posts
MY QUESTION IS:
Has anyone ever calculated how much "one line" on the display actually is worth in litres? And after the reserve starting to flash, what happens exactly til the bike actually dies? How far can I push it … before I have to … you know … "push it"? HAHA! Okay, I'll show myself out.
Not sure how accurate the "lines" are. Several displays give you an actual numerical amount of fuel used. There's also one that informs you of how much reserve you've used. Easy to figure out what "reserve" capacity is.

When reserve light illuminates fill fuel tank. Make note of how much fuel it took to fill the tank. Subtract that number from the capacity (found in owner's manual) and that will give you the "reserve" amount.

From manual:
Remaining fuel when only 1st (E) segment starts flashing:
approximately 0.92 US gal (3.5 L)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I never cared about individual lines. Fuel gauges have never been that kind of accurate for me..

According to my experience, you have about 30 miles from when the guage starts flashing. That assumes it starts flashing around 120-130 miles. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Also note: if you ride super hard (like on the track!) Maybe you get less than 100 miles to empty. If you ride like an old lady then maybe you get 190-200 miles. I've achieved both, and I've twice completely run out of fuel at 150.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Even I'm not enough of a pedant to try to figure out how many miles each line represents. 🤪

190-200 miles? Does the SC80 get that much better mileage? My CB wouldn't go that far even if it was downhill with a tail wind the entire way and Colvert was riding it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Even I'm not enough of a pedant to try to figure out how many miles each line represents. 🤪

190-200 miles? Does the SC80 get that much better mileage? My CB wouldn't go that far even if it was downhill with a tail wind the entire way and Colvert was riding it.
I have a post here somewhere where I got to 190 miles on my 2018 without reaching empty. I have another where I got over 170 with my 2014, again not empty...

It's pretty easy to get high mileage. Shove it in 6th and buzz around at a steadyish 50-80 mph. Don't actually have to go slow, just be sensible.

I've managed over 170 miles on my CBR1K doing similar along Little Dragon and other super California roads.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
661 Posts
Does the SC80 get that much better mileage?
The total range on the SC80 is definitely less. I've not tracked my mileage but I doubt the SC80 is better, and probably worse.
SC80 Tank capacity 4.28 US gal (16.2 L)
SC60 Tank capacity 4.5 US gal (17 liters)

·
Registered
59 Posts
The second question is, how much of the capacity is actually usable. I haven't run this one dry enough to test, but I did, apparently, get low enough on my 919 once to have it cut out in a left hander. I pulled away from a light into a left turn and the engine cut, which kind of messes with your turning. I didn't continue to drive around enough to test right handers, but instead just went directly to the station and filled up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify, I‘m not asking about mileage per gallon. I‘m trying to figure out „liters per line“ … if that makes sense.

One Time, I had to ride home via highway and i was under the impression that I had 6 lines plus 2,7 liters reserve. I arrived with 2,6L used!!!! So I thought, I was the luckiest guy ever.

Another time, my engine would die after couple of seconds – even to reserve showed 1,9L used (it starts to count UP, once reserve is engaged. I guess it was just from leaning over on the stand, as it idled fine after I sat on it and it was upright.

I understand that mileage varies depending on RIDING. That‘s why I try to find out how much fuel I use “per line“, so I can calculate how much fuel I have left (Helpful with „fuel average“ gauge for the trip)

Does this make any sense at all?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
661 Posts
Does this make any sense at all?
Yes we understand. You want to know the volume of fuel each line represents. The display can give you a digital numeric display of how much fuel you've consumed. When the last line begins to flash, you've got approximately 0.92 US gal (3.5 L) left in the tank. Then the display will show how much reserve you've consumed. The closer you get to 0.92 US gal (3.5L), the closer you are to empty.

If the bike is on the kick stand (side stand), the fuel gauge is going to give a false reading.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I thought I was clear. The lines are not that accurate.

Plus when do you notice that a line has gone?

I doubt anyone has bothered to try to measure them. If it bothers you that much, you should try working out what it is for your bike.

Your dash will tell you mpg/ litres/100km. It will be easier to figure out what's going on using that info then trying to get an accurate count for each line.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So,
16.2L tank capacity,
3.5L reserve,
that would leave 12.7
– which would mean each line represents pretty much 2.1L

·
Registered
26 Posts
Naja

I fill the tank to the brim.
Rocking the bike gently to free the last air pockets.

Then the first bar lasts forever, like 4L!
The second, third, and down to the last go about 2L.

On the MY06 CB1000R

cb1000R_06.JPG

the five bars shrunk smaller and smaller and the last bar was a minuscule blinking red square.
Very easy to miss.

BTW Notice: both our bridges are from the '70ties!

bridge.jpg

Köhlbrandbrücke.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Naja

I fill the tank to the brim.
Rocking the bike gently to free the last air pockets.

Then the first bar lasts forever, like 4L!
The second, third, and down to the last go about 2L.

On the MY06 CB1000R

View attachment 49487

the five bars shrunk smaller and smaller and the last bar was a minuscule blinking red square.
Very easy to miss.

BTW Notice: both our bridges are from the '70ties!

View attachment 49486

View attachment 49485

I noticed too that you can get more in the tank when you take the nozzle out a bit and just cautiously keep squirting. I think the tank wasnt designed very well.

Yeah, those bridges are quite alike, right? And I just LOVE going over them with a bike. It's like flying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
.. I think the tank wasnt designed very well.
The hump of MY06 CB1000R with the the cap on top was better
Hump06.JPG
Do not fill with fuel above the level plate.
One reason for the level plate is to keep dummies from damaging their fuel pump.
'Tis called poor design.
Good design wouldn't leave the pump assembly exposed.

I've filled tanks for a very long time right up to the top with no ill effect.

Parking in the sun immediately after isn't the smart option.

Some of us ride the bike after filling-up.
Yeah, those bridges are quite alike, right? And I just LOVE going over them with a bike. It's like flying.
'Bout the same length, height, same dreary port city and heavy cranes underneath.

No flying anymore over ours.
Radar speed trap section north south avg speed 40mph when not stuck in apocalyptic jam.

The one I like is this one:
upper_peninsula.jpg

Quite hairy ride in so-so weather with crosswind
and the road surface is grating

grating.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually got stuck in traffic on top. Thank god it wasn't a hot day!! So being stuck up there was actually quite nice! Having that view for 20 minutes - not just 20 seconds - really let's you soak it in!

At ours, they also warn about radar cams ... but I have yet to see one. 30 miles per is mighty slow, tho!

as to the filler plate: congrats, bevo, you can read the manual!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts