Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just a quick one, my bike is currently SORN and i start it periodically, let it get up to temp with the fan on then switch off, yesterday the fuel guage started to flash from the bottom and the top (i assume this is normal when fuel is low), so i went to the petrol station with my fuel can, filled it up and checked the guage by simply turning the ignition on..... its still flashing, does it take a ride etc for it to show full ?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Which model? My 2014 didn't show full immediately after filling. My 2018 does. I'm sure I read it as an upgrade from 2017 to 2018.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
IDK about that. The way I remember it working is I stop to get gas on empty and it reads full right when I start it back up on my '12. Even if it was the memory keeping his meter on empty, it would correct itself after the key was on for a couple minutes.

It's possible to check if it is the memory affecting the reading by disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds. The memory will be cleared and it should show the current level the next time it is turned on.

If it still reads incorrectly, checking the level sensor is easy. There is a 2-pin connector for the fuel level sensor. Disconnect that and read the resistance value with a multimeter. The sensor should read less than 50 ohms with a full tank, probably closer to 20. Empty will probably be several hundred ohms, somewhere around 600-800, I'm not sure of the exact values. Hopefully it hasn't been damaged by old fuel, but that is what I suspect if you do have a problem. An open circuit makes the meter do something quite different from what you describe and a short would show full, so it likely wouldn't be a wiring problem. High resistance because of corrosion on the sensor presents simply as low fuel on the meter regardless of fuel in the tank. An issue with the float is possible but unlikely unless you have been shoving sticks in your tank. XD

If the bike sits for long periods, such as yours has been, the fuel goes sour regardless of the engine being ran or not. As the fuel starts to go bad it attacks the fuel level sensor's little copper contacts and corrode them. The bike may run fine with old fuel, but it still causes damage to various parts in the fuel system. It's possible to carefully restore the contacts to shiny condition and fix the existing sensor if the damage is minor, but normally it will need replaced. (Replace the o-ring, too!)

With modern fuel-injected bikes, running it periodically isn't needed, IMO. The injection system is sealed and not likely to gum up like a set of vented carbs. The stuff in the tank will go bad before the rail fuel. On a carb bike, the fuel in the bowls tends to go off first. That was the main reason for running it periodically, getting fresher fuel to the carbs so they don't gum up.

The best thing you can do is use fuel stabilizer and drain/refill it completely if it sits for more than 6 months with fuel in it, less if you have crappy fuel and no stabilizer. Then run it to move the old fuel out of the pump/rail/line/injectors. This will take quite a while if it is just sitting there idling. It's best to go out for a good 20 minute ride. YMMV depending on your local fuel quality and use of a stabilizer.

Two other reasons for running periodically that seem pointless to me:

"Charging" the battery - Any car or bike charging system is barely working at idle and is a very poor battery charger. A maintenance charger is the way to go.

Removing condensation from the crankcase. - This also isn't a concern in modern engines. You are unlikely to get any significant condensation in the crankcase even after sitting for years. For very long term storage, fogging the cylinders is all that is needed. Ironically, the #1 thing that would cause a build up of crankcase condensation is is being started and run for short periods over and over without actually being properly run down the road for a long period.

Let us know what was up. Normal operation, corroded sensor, or sticks in the tank...

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Keeping a battery charged the important factor is time not distance.

24 hours on a charger is the same as 24 hours riding on the road.

Keeping your battery on charge with a modern charger will not harm the battery.

With the battery full the charge will drop to virtually nothing.

Also STOP/ START charging in the winter might even do more harm than good.

Dry storage for your bike in the winter months is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys, i did forget to mention that its in a heated (integral garage) and i have had fuel stabilizer added also, i will need to decide what i am to do with '' her '' as i now travel to work via my car as i work shifts and only got a bike to travel into the city during normal 9-5 hours which i don't do anymore. My wife wants me to sell due to non use, she has a point but at the moment i just don't want too. I have had two of my friends asking me to tell them if i decide to sell as they would purchase it.......i know if i did sell then i would not ride again and i would not find another bike of this age in this condition and with this mileage if i decided too in the future.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input and the diagram, it does appear faulty going off what others have said.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Cheers guys, i did forget to mention that its in a heated (integral garage) and i have had fuel stabilizer added also, i will need to decide what i am to do with '' her '' as i now travel to work via my car as i work shifts and only got a bike to travel into the city during normal 9-5 hours which i don't do anymore. My wife wants me to sell due to non use, she has a point but at the moment i just don't want to. I have had two of my friends asking me to tell them if i decide to sell as they would purchase it.......i know if i did sell then i would not ride again and i would not find another bike of this age in this condition and with this mileage if i decided to in the future.
I know what you mean in your last sentence.

My wife wanted me to sell due to old age.--;)

I agreed but my reason was arthritis in my fingers.

The point about non use. With this virus about lots of bikes are going to suffer from non use.

The shut down in France has just been extended another 2 weeks. I can see that going into 2 months at least and maybe the rest of the year unless a vaccine can be found.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree, i work in a role that means i am a key worker and come into contact with those at most risk and this thing has more to come, getting back to '' normal'' is a little more off than most would wish. I will make a decision on the bike soon, i just know that if i do sell then that will be it...... like sending the Levis you wore when you had a six pack off to the charity shop, when they are gone you will never have a chance to fit in them again :)

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Agree, i work in a role that means i am a key worker and come into contact with those at most risk and this thing has more to come, getting back to '' normal'' is a little more off than most would wish. I will make a decision on the bike soon, i just know that if i do sell then that will be it...... like sending the Levis you wore when you had a six pack off to the charity shop, when they are gone you will never have a chance to fit in them again :)

Or the figure.--Lol.

Lock-down now extended to May 11th here in France.-------------------
:thumbdown

1 - 11 of 11 Posts