Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the tank on my white 2013 is starting to show a bit of rust on the tabs and underside, so it's repaint time - story elsewhere.
but in the process of readying the tank for painting, I pulled it completely apart. and when I removed the pump and filter assembly, I was dismayed (and maybe not totally surprised) to find the fabric 'first filter' rather crudded up. since Honda, in their wisdom, have made this simple element an integral part of a $250 plus 'fuel filter', rather than making it available and replaceable separately, it's obviously necessary to clean it... carefully!
anyone with any experience? mistakes to avoid? ( I tend to find those, easily...)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Actually, Don, that pickup screen is ONLY sold with the pump assembly, so be very careful. You can pop it off and spray it out with brake or carb cleaner. If it's that nasty, you probably should go ahead and replace the fuel filter while you have it apart. Yes, it's expensive for a fuel filter with a few gaskets, but with your mileage, just do it.

edit:
It looks like the fuel pressure regulator also comes with the fuel filter kit. I'm sure that's part of the reason for the high price.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, Don, that pickup screen is ONLY sold with the pump assembly, so be very careful. You can pop it off and spray it out with brake or carb cleaner. If it's that nasty, you probably should go ahead and replace the fuel filter while you have it apart. Yes, it's expensive for a fuel filter with a few gaskets, but with your mileage, just do it.

edit:
It looks like the fuel pressure regulator also comes with the fuel filter kit. I'm sure that's part of the reason for the high price.
thanks Dylan. maybe I wasn't clear enough - I know the fabric piece is part of the VERY expensive full filter assembly. that surprises me! thus the inquiry about how to treat it. a very light physical 'dusting', followed by brake cleaner, seems like the ticket...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I know the fabric piece is part of the VERY expensive full filter assembly.
No, it isn't. Either you misunderstand me or you are using the wrong terminology. It does NOT come with the fuel filter assembly. It is only sold with the entire PUMP assembly. ($600) If you buy the fuel filter assembly ($250), it will NOT come with that pickup screen. It's stupid, I know.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG! you are right. I was misinterpreting the parts fiche drawing. how on earth can Honda be so illogical!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
If you figure that out, please let me know! lol
I've been dealing with their craziness for 20 years as an employee and see stuff like that all the time.
It's bananas!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ah, yes. I learned all about this with my CB1300S. Amazing how much better the bike ran when it wasn’t full of crap!

·
Registered
52 Posts
thanks. the yellow part looks like the fabric filter that's crapped up on mine. I sure don't need the rest. I will clean it manually, and post up the results...
Look at your filter for markings. Let us know what is on it. Several years ago I found a replacement pump filter for the Concours 14. Turned out to be a Kawasaki part as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts