Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After pressure washing the bike the other day I noticed that one of my forks was leaking oil. I have ordered one of the fork seal cleaning tools as I am hoping that somehow some dirt has been wedged in.

If that is the case and after a clean the leaking stops. Can I top up the oil without removing the forks from the bike? I did this on my old bandit but have never played around on USD forks.

An help would be great thanks.

Jon

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi guys,

After pressure washing the bike the other day I noticed that one of my forks was leaking oil. I have ordered one of the fork seal cleaning tools as I am hoping that somehow some dirt has been wedged in.

If that is the case and after a clean the leaking stops. Can I top up the oil without removing the forks from the bike? I did this on my old bandit but have never played around on USD forks.

An help would be great thanks.

Jon
Not worth the bother of opening them up unless they're ready for a service.
If it had lost an amount that was serious, your front end would be plastered with oil.
In reality, it's likely to be less than a thimbleful.
Make sure you sort the seals out properly, either with a sealmate or a bit of 35mm negative.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Not worth the bother of opening them up unless they're ready for a service.
If it had lost an amount that was serious, your front end would be plastered with oil.
In reality, it's likely to be less than a thimbleful.
Make sure you sort the seals out properly, either with a sealmate or a bit of 35mm negative.
How can you tell how much you have lost ?? Also how much can you lose and still have the damping working.

Mine have been leaking now for over five years but still seem to be damping and not bouncing.-----:notme

·
Registered
345 Posts
How can you tell how much you have lost ?? Also how much can you lose and still have the damping working.

Mine have been leaking now for over five years but still seem to be damping and not bouncing.-----:notme
Simple answer....you can't tell.
But if it's anything substantial, the lower stancions would be covered.
A bit of misting is neither here nor there...unless it's over a few years.
If yours are still damping, there must be sufficient oil to restrict piston movement.
Unless of course it's sludge.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Simple answer....you can't tell.
But if it's anything substantial, the lower stancions would be covered.
A bit of misting is neither here nor there...unless it's over a few years.
If yours are still damping, there must be sufficient oil to restrict piston movement.
Unless of course it's sludge.
Sludge---Yikes !!!

AS it's only leaking OUT it's probably still clean inside and not sludge. It looks clean when wiped with a clean tissue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts