Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Went to get on the bike and discovered oil leaking from the left fork. The bike only has 5,000km on it but has been a demonstrator and warranty is over. How many km should you get out of a set of seals under normal riding conditions, my old bike had done 13,500km with no problems at all. I would have thought you would get 30-50,000 kms before seeing an issue like this?

I have come to the conclusion that this bike has been hammered in it's short life before I got it. Just wished I had the xtra to get a new one at the time :shake

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
Bought mine second hand. It Now has 12000 miles on. Changed the fork seals only because I had the tubes anodised. Nothing wrong with them before I did this. Maybe they have worn becuase of heavy excessive breaking. Just a thought :thumbup

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I don't think it's down to being an ex demo, the main concern there would be engine/gearbox abuse.
Plenty of the CBs on here are ridden "Briskly" it's probably just down to bad luck that the seal has failed so soon, others on here will know of folk who pop the seal in a few km's and others who go to very high mileage with no probs, fork seals one of those parts that are unpredictable in how long they last, I've not heard that the CB is any worse than others.

Given it is an ex demo with low km's I'd be pushing the dealer to do the decent thing and waive the wArranty in this case, at the very least he should at least do it at cost , Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

·
Banned
6,335 Posts
Wouldnt worry like Rainy says its a seal it can last years or months one of them things,sometimes a stone can hit the fork slider putting a small mark with rough edges on it that will also make the oil weep out,or if your bike is used in all weathers dirt can get inside the seal itself,leaver out the dust seal on the leg and see if any grit dirt has built up in it,sometimes on the dirt bikes i slide a really thin feeler gauge between the leg and seal and go all the way round with it this sometimes works too,if you were local i,d put a seal in for you not to hard a job :thumbup

·
Registered
258 Posts
blade said:
Wouldnt worry like Rainy says its a seal it can last years or months one of them things,sometimes a stone can hit the fork slider putting a small mark with rough edges on it that will also make the oil weep out,or if your bike is used in all weathers dirt can get inside the seal itself,leaver out the dust seal on the leg and see if any grit dirt has built up in it,sometimes on the dirt bikes i slide a really thin feeler gauge between the leg and seal and go all the way round with it this sometimes works too,if you were local i,d put a seal in for you not to hard a job :thumbup

What Blade said, I replaced fork seals on my YZ450 after the first outing! You probably got a nick on the fork which you can go look for.

·
Banned
6,335 Posts
artmack said:
blade said:

What Blade said, I replaced fork seals on my YZ450 after the first outing! You probably got a nick on the fork which you can go look for.
Had that myself,need a bit of the finest wet & dry with a squirt of WD40 and polish it smooth again :thumbup

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
blade said:

Just be a bit careful if you go to Bladey's place, the term 'let me push my small feeler up yer seal ' may not be exactly what you expected..... :eek

·
Banned
6,335 Posts
rainman said:
blade said:

Just be a bit careful if you go to Bladey's place, the term 'let me push my small feeler up yer seal ' may not be exactly what you expected..... :eek
I been told a small feeler would be no good to you as use the long metal Dyson handle on yourself :taunt :lol :stop

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the feedback, but you can keep the vacuum cleaner antics to yourselves. I will see what the dealer has to say tomorrow, if they won't sort it out I will try to repair it myself - first time for everything. The bike was the only vehicle I have that didn't have some sort of leak, so maybe it is out of sympathy for the rest of them.

I don't really do a lot of braking let alone heavy braking, as most of the roads I travel are open road with only a few stops. The stone chip is possible as we mostly have chip sealed roads here, so there are always stones flying around when the resealing season starts - which is how I ended up with this bike in the first place. I do have the forks set on the hard side as I am a little heavier than the average rider lol. You could blame the excess pies but my first bike handled it and the 919 for 18,000km before that.

Will let you know how I get on...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the dealer has offered to supply parts for free if I pay for fitment, so I'm going to go with that. Although I have since looked them up and they are only about $10 each lol, very generous of them. Still $10 is about $500 euros these days isn't it??

·
Registered
258 Posts
blade said:
artmack said:
blade said:

Had that myself,need a bit of the finest wet & dry with a squirt of WD40 and polish it smooth again :thumbup

Thats what I did on my Husky, saved a bunch of money. :thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts