Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my bike in for it's first service cost me £141, feel like I have been totally ripped off, never paid that for my 1st service ever before (had 3 new bikes in the last 4 years the most I was ever charged was £50)
Is this normal price or should I be looking elsewhere for it's next service?

·
Registered
56 Posts
had 1st service today.
£9.33 oil filter
44p sump washer
3lts oil £18
sundies £5 ??????????????????????
labour £50
vat £16.55
total £99.32 for what oil change and tighten bolts :cry

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I did mine myself. Cant remember the cost but it was less than £50 and I can be sure it was done correctly. :thumbup

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,010 Posts
Squidger. Mine cost the same as your's. Diy; piece of cake. :yay :yay :yay

Colvert. :angel

·
Banned
671 Posts
Who stamped the service book so as to keep the Warranty valid? :notme

BOBSTA :guinness

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I did mine. I have a dot stamp as I'm a licenced aircraft engineer and use it to stamp my work on the aircraft but you don't need to be qualified to keep the warranty. You just have to be "Competent" and use genuine parts while adhering to the maintenance schedule.

I recently bought 2 new bolts for my front caliper as I had to remove it to replace the front tyre and the manual said replace bolts as they stretch and can only be used once. The salesman at P&H Crawley said we never replace them. So much for dealer serviceing to keep up warranty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
squidger said:
I did mine. I have a dot stamp as I'm a licenced aircraft engineer and use it to stamp my work on the aircraft but you don't need to be qualified to keep the warranty. You just have to be "Competent" and use genuine parts while adhering to the maintenance schedule.

I recently bought 2 new bolts for my front caliper as I had to remove it to replace the front tyre and the manual said replace bolts as they stretch and can only be used once. The salesman at P&H Crawley said we never replace them. So much for dealer serviceing to keep up warranty.
I also did my own first "service". It's nothing more than a simple oil change and a routine inspection of the bike. :notme
How much better can the guy at the dealership do it?
As an aircraft engineer, it's probably impossible to find a motorcycle mechanic with your thoroughness. :lol
I think the next best thing to an engineer is a mechanic with professional racing experience. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
When I picked my streetfighter up the other day, I got told my 1st service is going to cost me £150 and that's cheap apparently (welcome to ducati prices :sick )! and its got to be left with them for half a day! :thumbdown No idea what they need to do thats going to take half a day?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
You don't mind paying for good service. Trouble is alot of dealers charge for everything and do as little as they can get away with. There are some really good dealers about but if you do it yourself you know exactly what has been done.

"I think the next best thing to an engineer is a mechanic with professional racing experience"

Racers push to the limits so need a good knowledgeable mechanic :thumbup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guys on this thread seem to be clued up in terms of maintenance... How much maint do I really need to do between svc intervals? I don't enjoy, am useless as it and don't have any of the kit to do a lot . Some one mentioned that even with a paddock stand you couldn't really adjust the chain properly without some one to help.... Can this really be true? Wonder if a mechanic would show me the basics for a few hours at their going rate...
I am used to cars where you only look under the bonnet to top up the windscreen wash!

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Adjusting the chain can be done on a paddock stand for ease but can also be done on the sidestand. Maintenance between services is the same as any other vehicle. Regularly check tyre wear and condition. Check lights etc before riding. Lubricate chain regularly. Check fluid levels regularly etc.

·
Banned
671 Posts
Have just had first service done at same time as some Warranty work, £154 for the service now that's what I call taking the piss!!! :thumbdown
1.75hrs [email protected]£50 £87.50
3ltr oil £26.23
oil filter £9.58
sump plug washer .45
consumables £4.95
-------
£128.71
+vat £ 25.74
----------
£154.45

what do you boys think?

·
Registered
814 Posts
This was mine from Blade Honda Reading

Labour = £27.47
Oil filter = £9.33
Washer = £0.44
Oil = £31.50
Sundries = £7.50
VAT = £15.25

TOTAL INC VAT = £91.49

@ Bobsta - Don't see how they can justify 1.75 hrs labour for what is just an oil change and a check over the bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So looks like most Honda dealers are charging a lot.
They supposedly took 1.5hrs to do mine. Previously changing oil and filter has taken me less than half and hour and the cheek of them charging me a fiver for gloves when they gave me the bike back covered in oil and mucky fingerprints.
If it wasn't for the warranty I'd be doing it all myself!!!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
We use the same dealer as you sheena and our bikes always get washed/cleaned after a service without us asking for it, so i'm surprised yours wasnt done.
Think every dealer charges for disposal of oil now.
Almost all dealers use to give you the first service free but Honda changed that about a year ago :bone

·
Banned
671 Posts
If it hadn't have been for the Warranty work I would not have taken it to the dealer for the service as they've proved to be unreliable in my short period of ownership. Now that everything that was wrong has hopefully been put right I won't need to return to the dealer. :fingers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can't help but to agree, service costs are well expensive.

However there are certain tools which are needed for major service work which would be too expensive for an individual to buy and some of the electronics on the bikes are beyond the scope of most of us to access let alone understand.

My CB1000R had a 4k service at a large west London Honda dealership and I was charged £196.30 and the work done was basically oil/filter and coolant, lube the chain, plus checks on brakes/tyres etc.

And it didn't start well shortly afterwards and continues to be a lottery each morning.

So much for skilled engineers!

What we all need is a reliable firm who don't overcharge or keep the bike all day doing very little to it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts