Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
cams.jpg Hello all, I have been researching lately the possible gains/losses of installing the camshafts from a 2007 CBR1000rr into our gorgeous CB1000r. Well I work at a Honda dealership in Indiana and bit the bullet and ordered a new set of 07 1000rr cams (at my price was $420 after tax) The cam gears between each model are the same part number and the cams are a drop in setup. The lift differences are the most significant changes followed by the timing and duration. I just installed the cams last night and bike sounds/operates like OEM. It is still VERY COLD here in Indiana so I havent rode it yet, but I will have a post giving you my oppinion from the saddle and as soon as I get Dyno time I will post my results. Intake side lift is increased by 1.2mm and the exhaust lift is increased by .58mm. Minimal losses expected at low end with increases expected from 5k to redline. Now with my measurements/forecasting this is just my prediction but like I said earlier, I will post by dyno results when i can. If ANYONE has done this or a CAM MOD please let me know. In my research I couldnt even find the cam timing or duration specs for either the 07 1000rr or 11 cb1000r. So i figured at my cost I would share my findings with you all.

Cheers!:beer

Matt

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not too convinced that the ignition would HAVE TO be manipulated to experience gains from dropping in the cams. One major concern of mine is to be able to gain across the rpm range without need of high octane fuel. Now of course to have maximum gains you could always advance the ignition around 5 deg and run premium fuels, but with the stock compression of 11.2:1 i think it defeats the purpose. In all reality what little I do expect to lose, if i could find or have someone cnc some billet velocity stacks a bit longer i think we could have a very flat STRONG torque curve through out the WHOLE RPM RANGE! I get off work today at 5:30 pm and will rush home to saddle up and make a post right after my twist of the wrist and let you know how it felt. I talked with our sister dealership and should be able to get it on the dyno sometime within the next 2 weeks. So as soon as I have harder evidence of the gains other than my @$$ i will be sure to let you guys know. Thanks for the interest, as I LOVE OUR CB1000R'S!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brrr! So I just have got back from my first run since installing the cams last night and here is what I could tell from OEM. The bike did lose a little throttle response at 2-3000 rpm but did have a significant increase of how quick the bike would rev starting at 4000rpm. After 6000rpm the bike pulled harder and harder as the rpms increased all the way to the limiter. First snap wide open in second gear the tires were still cold and from 5000rpm snapped to wide open it just wheel spun. The rest of the ride was roll on from every gear with similar power at bottom end and a pleasant increase of revs through redline. No drop off of power before limiter was felt!! *NOTE* that this was the first ride and my summary, my PCV w/auto tune has not got the chance to dial in nor have I got HARD EVIDENCE that I have made a significant gain. PLEASE KEEP AN EYE ON THIS THREAD AS I WILL BE PUTTING IT ON THE DYNO ASAP TO VERIFY MY FEELINGS!! I hope to all those out there that are like me and have been waiting for something like this to come to light for our CB's that what I felt today shows great increases on a dyno report. I am hoping our weather man is correct in saying we will have a couple 50 degree days this weekend so I can adjust my mapping and get all I can to the drum of the dyno next week. Please give me your feedback and/or questions and I will be more than happy to elaborate my expericences with the CB1000r.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have been on the phone with the service manager at our west store and should have her on the dyno by a week from monday, but we are having such a nice day that at lunch I went home and grabbed her. Its a 20 mile ride into work mostly interstate which is perfect for letting the pcv and auto tune do their thing and let me say it feels like the mid range and top end have damn near been doubled! I hope to see 70-75 ftlbs of torque and really expecting mid 130's in hp. IT IS DEFINATELY AN IMPROVEMENT! Remember U.S. hp and torque are measured or converted differently from you folks accross the pond. I will post as soon as she's dyno'd..

·
Registered
618 Posts
Mid 130's HP sounds very nice indeed..If only Honda left these motors the way they were in the CBR's..Then i think many more people would own a CB..We wouldn't be chasing that bit extra out of them..
But your definately a pioneer here mDIDDYX07..:thumbup..Well done..I have my eye on you and your progress..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can't wait to see the dyno on this. Just for reference I have an IXIL slip on and made 117whp and made 112whp stock. Mid 130s would be like a 20whp gain which would make this a completely different bike! Hope this is the first breakthrough in how to get some decent gains on our bike.

·
Registered
186 Posts
From what I have been reading online the HP ratings for the CB are all over the place. From 125 down to just over a hundred, can there be that much of a varience between engines?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, all dynos read different, and units of measure differ from USA and UK. All cbs stock are around 110hp.

·
Registered
236 Posts
USA bikes extra emission controls on the bike then the rest of the world. Petrol and octane level within vast differences world wide so quicker/slower burn rates. Altitude of where you live all add to differances.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im not too convinced that the ignition would HAVE TO be manipulated to experience gains from dropping in the cams. One major concern of mine is to be able to gain across the rpm range without need of high octane fuel. Now of course to have maximum gains you could always advance the ignition around 5 deg and run premium fuels, but with the stock compression of 11.2:1 i think it defeats the purpose. In all reality what little I do expect to lose, if i could find or have someone cnc some billet velocity stacks a bit longer i think we could have a very flat STRONG torque curve through out the WHOLE RPM RANGE! I get off work today at 5:30 pm and will rush home to saddle up and make a post right after my twist of the wrist and let you know how it felt. I talked with our sister dealership and should be able to get it on the dyno sometime within the next 2 weeks. So as soon as I have harder evidence of the gains other than my @$$ i will be sure to let you guys know. Thanks for the interest, as I LOVE OUR CB1000R'S!!!
Well? Updates? You can't leave us all hanging like this haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oooo if my fiance knew i was responding to a buckeye.... Shes a michigan fan lol... Ive been trying to coordinate with the service manager our west side store as we have had a few nice days, but with that being said with he and i working in the motorcycle industry get busy when a nice day hits and havent been able to dyno yet. I am eager to do it soon and will definately try and have something done by a week or two. Just need a nice 55 to 60 degree day as i dont want skewed numbers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Aww can't us Ohio State and Michigan fans just get along, tell your wife I said Go Bucks! haha. Glad to hear this dyno run is still in the future and I can't wait to see the numbers. Good luck on this, you may of uncovered the single best way to modify these bikes and actually get a decent bump in power. Was it a lot of work to change out these cams? What would you estimate the labor costs to be?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello everyone iv been really enjoying reading this thread.
It's very interesting, can't wait to see how you get on, good luck & safe riding.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts