Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have just bought an aftermarket silencer, just the end can. I am going to put some exhaust sealant where the pipe meets the cat, but should I need to put some on where the end can meets the other end of the section of pipe? The new silencer comes with end can and a section of pipe. I ask this as when you need to take the back wheel out, you usually take the end can off first. If I can get away with no exhaust paste, it makes it so much easier to get the end can off each time. Could just test the end can without paste for any exhaust leaks I guess, just thought some member had tried no paste themselves.

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,714 Posts
Hi all
I have just bought an aftermarket silencer, just the end can. I am going to put some exhaust sealant where the pipe meets the cat, but should I need to put some on where the end can meets the other end of the section of pipe? The new silencer comes with end can and a section of pipe. I ask this as when you need to take the back wheel out, you usually take the end can off first. If I can get away with no exhaust paste, it makes it so much easier to get the end can off each time. Could just test the end can without paste for any exhaust leaks I guess, just thought some member had tried no paste themselves.
So Akrapovič includes anti-seize lubricant with their slip-ons. SC-Project does not, but I used some anyway in case the silencer tried to seize.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Akrapovič includes anti-seize lubricant with their slip-ons. SC-Project does not, but I used some anyway in case the silencer tried to seize.
I bought an MTC silencer. British company who put together their own exhaust systems who have loads of great reviews online. I have just been down to the motorist's centre and bought some exhaust assembly paste which does say on the tube, seals and lubricates. So I guess I should have no problem taking off the end can later when I need to get the rear wheel off. Never even knew modern paste lubricates as well as seals.

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,714 Posts
I bought an MTC silencer. British company who put together their own exhaust systems who have loads of great reviews online. I have just been down to the motorist's centre and bought some exhaust assembly paste which does say on the tube, seals and lubricates. So I guess I should have no problem taking off the end can later when I need to get the rear wheel off. Never even knew modern paste lubricates as well as seals.
Exhaust assembly paste "makes assembly easier and faster." If it seals the exhaust joints you may not be able to get them apart when it cures. Akrapovič, SC-Project and other quality exhausts don't need to be sealed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaust assembly paste "makes assembly easier and faster." If it seals the exhaust joints you may not be able to get them apart when it cures. Akrapovič, SC-Project and other quality exhausts don't need to be sealed.
Then I will use the paste for the pipe that mates up to the cat, but not use the paste for where the other end of the pipe mates to the end can. I will then see if there is any exhaust leak afterwards.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's poor quality
A bit of necessary sealant is not going to put me off the quality of the can. Very happy with it so far. Been on a ride out with the small baffle pipe still screwed in the end of the can. Then took the small end baffle out and rode out again. Not too noisy but has a nice rasp to it and a small crackle off throttle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts