Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CB1000R Tricolour
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since buying my CB1000R I've become aware of a quiet knocking sound from the bottom of the engine when it's hot. It's most prevalent and becomes most noticeable when stopped at a red light for example, or turning the engine back on again after a few minutes of being off after a ride, such as after filling up with petrol.

It's difficult to pick up the specific knocking sound from a video, but it can be heard from halfway through my video here:
VID20210907190057.mp4

When sitting on the bike, the knock sounds like it's coming from the front and bottom of the engine, almost where the exhaust headers are located. It only knocks at idle revs, and can be heard whether in neutral or in gear with the clutch in.

Mileage is just over 9,000, serviced every 2.5 or 3 years regardless of mileage. It was last serviced by Honda a couple of weeks ago, and an oil change made the knock no better or worse. I mentioned it to the service advisor and asked if they could maybe do some valve clearance checks while it was in but they said they couldn't hear anything unusual anyway, so that didn't happen.

I've scanned through the forum pages but just couldn't quite find any similar issues. I don't know whether I'm worrying excessively and have become hypertensive to the knocking sound now, or whether I should be more persistent with a dealer or workshop about investigating it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have same knocking on my Cb1000r 2013 and the knock came after 25k of daily hard use, the knock comes and goes only when the bike is hot and it seems coming from the bottom end of the engine and can even feel it on the handlebars and the foot pegs, the stealersship replaced for me the timing chain along with the tensioner but the damn knocks still exist, they told me it could be the bearings of crankshaft failing and they will charge me 1k only to drop the engine :rolleyes:

My local mechanic told me not to worry because if its crank shaft bearings the knock will be there no matter the engine is cold or warm.

8k of daily ride after the knock came and thanks to God the engine still not blown yet neither the knock changed its behavior.

I still have no odea where that knock comes from

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey is there any update about your bike ? Mine have the same exact sound :((
well I decided to just live with it since it would cost me so much to check for it
the dealer told me its fine and two of the pro mechanics that are well known for their work that it's not related to crank bearings and its fine and won't blow the engine hehe

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's your main form of transportation I would tend to agree. Its had been stood for 2 years and the oil was very thin. I've changed that for LiquiMoly now so I'll do a bit more investigation and see what gives

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition
86 Posts
I used to own an air cooled CB1100EX and was on that forum for a good while. A number of owners (including myself actually) noticed and commented that after changing the oil and putting in 10w/40 instead of 10w/30 there was a mysterious bottom end knock/rumble at idle, that wasn’t there before. I don’t recall there being any firm diagnosis but it was a real phenomenon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts