Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i am very excited with the results from my Dyno tune today..I now have 124.36 HP to play with and this is with the baffle in..:thumbupThe ride home was awesome as the increases in horespower and torque was very noticeable..I'm so glad i finally got this done and i'm looking forward to a good hard ride now.. DSCN2895.jpg DSCN2891.jpg DSCN2893.jpg DSCN2892.jpg I noticed he forgot to put the R on the end of CB1000R on the graph but that's ok..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good power that mate :thumbup

Need to get mine to the dyno to see what she is putting out and check all is running well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Carbon akra yielded similar results. Was four years ago but off the top of my head I think it was 120 bhp ish about 9 ish of an increase from stock? Anyways I agree. Was expensive but well worth it. Would almost certainly have sold on by now without the upgrade. Enjoy.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are those results just with the new exhaust or do oyu have other goodies we should know about?
I do have a K&N air filter fitted and i always run premium fuel(98 octane)..Also the guy who did the tune is well experienced and knows what he's doing..(a few trophies under his belt)I believe experience is what can make a big difference..
Also my Yoshi R-77 is the newer version with a slightly longer pipe before the can..Maybe that made a difference too..

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I do have a K&N air filter fitted and i always run premium fuel(98 octane)..Also the guy who did the tune is well experienced and knows what he's doing..(a few trophies under his belt)I believe experience is what can make a big difference..
Also my Yoshi R-77 is the newer version with a slightly longer pipe before the can..Maybe that made a difference too..
Hi there; Octane rating of fuel. Do you know what the rating means ?? Unless you raise the compression above standard on the CB 1,000 R there's no benefit above 95 octane.

The higher rating resists self combustion ( Knock ) but adds no extra energy to the burn.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there; Octane rating of fuel. Do you know what the rating means ?? Unless you raise the compression above standard on the CB 1,000 R there's no benefit above 95 octane.

The higher rating resists self combustion ( Knock ) but adds no extra energy to the burn.

I know that 98 is higher than 95..:)
But seriously,maybe i can save some money on fuel if the higher octane dosen't do much for performance..Thanks for the info Colvert..

·
Administrator
4,048 Posts
Owners Handbook: Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher.

If “spark knock,” or “pinking” occurs at a steady engine speed under normal load, change brands of petrol. If spark knock or pinking persists, consult your Honda dealer.

As noted up there, UK pumps provide 95 ron as standard but 98 ron won't do it any harm at all - as COLVERT suggests it's when you start tuning the motors and the compression, that the higher octane (ie slower burn rate fuel) becomes necessary

BUT IMHO there's no reason NOT to use it - just watch out for knocking / pinging with either, although I do believe that the CB has elements of automatic ignition / retard built into its system to help deal with this ...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Owners Handbook: Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher.

If “spark knock,” or “pinking” occurs at a steady engine speed under normal load, change brands of petrol. If spark knock or pinking persists, consult your Honda dealer.

As noted up there, UK pumps provide 95 ron as standard but 98 ron won't do it any harm at all - as COLVERT suggests it's when you start tuning the motors and the compression, that the higher octane (ie slower burn rate fuel) becomes necessary

BUT IMHO there's no reason NOT to use it - just watch out for knocking / pinging with either, although I do believe that the CB has elements of automatic ignition / retard built into its system to help deal with this ...
Well i think i might ask my dyno tuner what he thinks about the fuel rating and whether i should keep using the 98 or not..It was tuned with the 98 octane fuel being run through it at the time...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

·
Banned
132 Posts
Well i am very excited with the results from my Dyno tune today..I now have 124.36 HP to play with and this is with the baffle in..:thumbupThe ride home was awesome as the increases in horespower and torque was very noticeable..I'm so glad i finally got this done and i'm looking forward to a good hard ride now.. View attachment 16034 View attachment 16035 View attachment 16036 View attachment 16037 I noticed he forgot to put the R on the end of CB1000R on the graph but that's ok..
Nice! Oh have you noticed the USA CB1000R dyno results? 108 BHP etc. Their bikes are CARB enforced for emissions. I noticed some Euro dyno for stockers reading 115 BHP. So that 124.36 for a pipe & filter sounds SPOT ON! I'd do it but years of track work has made me allergic to ear plugs. I'd have a frigging headache in 30 minutes. LOL

·
Banned
132 Posts
I know that 98 is higher than 95..:)
But seriously,maybe i can save some money on fuel if the higher octane doesn't do much for performance..Thanks for the info Colvert..
The bonus? 98 has additives. Fuel injector cleaner and carbon deposit removers amongst others. BP Ultimate 98, Caltex Vortex 98 etc all have these. Vastly superior to the bog standard 91 junk. Smoother running, easier starting are just a couple benefits that come to mind. Yes 98 has LESS energy than 91 octane but it GUARANTEES knock free running. CB1000R still has 11.2:1 compression. Trust me that IS a high compression engine. Check out something like a GSX1400 or an FJ1300. What are they? 9.5:1? Now they truly won't benefit from 98 other than the cleaning additives.....

·
Banned
132 Posts

If you use 98 exclusively on 11.2:1 CB1000R engine it will NEVER ping! It will simply run like a jet! Remember. You gets whats you pay for. Cheap fuel? Not for my baby! :))

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bonus? 98 has additives. Fuel injector cleaner and carbon deposit removers amongst others. BP Ultimate 98, Caltex Vortex 98 etc all have these. Vastly superior to the bog standard 91 junk. Smoother running, easier starting are just a couple benefits that come to mind. Yes 98 has LESS energy than 91 octane but it GUARANTEES knock free running. CB1000R still has 11.2:1 compression. Trust me that IS a high compression engine. Check out something like a GSX1400 or an FJ1300. What are they? 9.5:1? Now they truly won't benefit from 98 other than the cleaning additives.....
Exactly what my dyno guy said..It keeps the bike running smooth and clean..No need for injector cleaner if this fuel is used all the time..
And for 5 cents a litre more than 95 octane,filling up will only cost 85 cents more per 17 litres..I have always used this fuel(BP ULTIMATE 98) in my cars and bikes so i'm not going to change now as i have never ever had any problem..
Thanks for your info everyone..

·
Banned
132 Posts
Exactly what my dyno guy said..It keeps the bike running smooth and clean..No need for injector cleaner if this fuel is used all the time..
And for 5 cents a litre more than 95 octane,filling up will only cost 85 cents more per 17 litres..I have always used this fuel(BP ULTIMATE 98) in my cars and bikes so i'm not going to change now as i have never ever had any problem..
Thanks for your info everyone..
Jaydee's dyno guy is correct. Any doubters? Maybe. Take your chances if you will. But like Jaydee I will pay the "tiny" premium to use a better grade of fuel for one of the finest Honda's EVER made.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts