Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding motorbikes for many a year of varying cc and age and have always ridden with my lights on, thus giving myself the best chance of being seen by other road users and sometimes even this isn’t enough and I have still been cut up. My point is, given the number of deaths each year and every year we could all reduce or have some impact on this death rate by educating or re-educating other bikers to use their lights and be readily seen. I see many riders out and about with no reflective gear which is fine but can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would ride without lights or knowingly without having lights on, or is it a macho thing. I understand that older bikes need their lights physically switched on but surely we could get the message out and after all knowledge is power so spread the word. Stay alert - light up - save lives

·
Registered
520 Posts
some folk don't give a shit until it happens .Normally the same idiots that wheelie on main roads ect. anything you can do to be more visible must be a good thing .Me i think moving on the road wks better than a high vis

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Right. I've ridden with my lights on since I started riding in Dumfries, Scotland, in about 1985. We've known for a long time that riding with lights on is safer. Grrr

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said in my original post. I see so many riders without lights on especially young scooter riders, so not wishing to be patronizing or feeling superior to them YOU or anyone else we are all bikers and should help each other but some people just don't give a @@@@
British English: patronizing ADJECTIVE
If someone is patronizing, they speak or behave towards you in a way that seems friendly, but which shows that they think they are superior to you.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
As I said in my original post. I see so many riders without lights on especially young scooter riders, so not wishing to be patronizing or feeling superior to them YOU or anyone else we are all bikers and should help each other but some people just don't give a @@@@
British English: patronizing ADJECTIVE
If someone is patronizing, they speak or behave towards you in a way that seems friendly, but which shows that they think they are superior to you.
:rollinBut how are you supposed to play it when you really are superior ???-------------------:rollin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We all have are own special attributes which makes us unique but not superior. You know more about bikes but I can change a light bulb. Knowledge is good, but sharing is far more beneficial and rewarding and if we all turned a blind eye and did nothing what a sad world it would be :)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
The trouble about knowledge is that the more you know, the more you know that you know nothing.---:book

However sharing that knowledge is a great idea.

I'm a member of several car forums and a Mod on one of them.

On one where I've been a member for over eleven years I have over 11,000 posts.

90% of which have been to help other members to become D-I-Yers and to do their own car repairs where possible.

Knowledge is best used when shared.---:D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

Knowledge is best used when shared.---:D
I'm just passing time waiting for dinner to be ready, and sipping wine too, so I'll chime in to say that I don't think 'knowing' something BECOMES knowledge UNTIL it is shared. Shared, considered, tested, challenged, used, modified, etc. Maybe even rejected! In other words, while 'knowing' can be personal, 'knowledge' is social, not personal.

( OK, that's enough thinking for the day... Back to the wine...)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not wishing to be patronising but I thought this post would generate more enthusiasm / debate on what could be done

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
some folk don't give a shit until it happens .Normally the same idiots that wheelie on main roads ect. anything you can do to be more visible must be a good thing .Me i think moving on the road wks better than a high vis
Jeff's post really does say it all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I got my CB1000R I decided to make a few safety changes that work for me. I stopped mounting my cell phone on the handle bars so as to not be distracted. The point here is that I have thought about doing some form of forward facing, and maybe flashing, light. I see some bikes with flashing headlights (which in some ways I don't care for). The question for this forum is this: does anyone have any suggestions as to forward facing lights? I looking for something to reduce the likelihood of a vehicle pulling out in front of me. Either from a left-turner or someone existing a driveway.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Flashing lights.---Bad idea.----Can be read by some folk as a signal to go. ( ie. Maybe pull out in front of you. )

Head lights only because if they can't see that then no matter what you do they will still ignore you with, maybe, disastrous results for you.

Motto:--Take care and get there.---;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
A.s i said before .you need to get the drivers attn by moving on the road you are in effect waving a torch which is more likely to get the drivers attn

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
How about Yellow jackets. I reckon they are just about useless compared to a head light.

You can see a head light at 1,000 yards but have trouble seeing a yellow jacket at 100 yards.

·
Registered
520 Posts
How about Yellow jackets. I reckon they are just about useless compared to a head light.

You can see a head light at 1,000 yards but have trouble seeing a yellow jacket at 100 yards.
yup agree in the uk some of em have polite think bike with white and black chequer pattern VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also thinking about mounting a camera on the top of my helmet. As odd as this may seem at first, it may have some value. The concept is that at least they now have a reason to pay attention and that being this: that what they are about to do is going to be recorded!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flashing lights.---Bad idea.----Can be read by some folk as a signal to go. ( ie. Maybe pull out in front of you. )

Head lights only because if they can't see that then no matter what you do they will still ignore you with, maybe, disastrous results for you.

Motto:--Take care and get there.---;)
OK. I did read your disclaimer but still have you seen any research to support your opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts