Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been using the Aerostich Combat Lites for 8 years, they are actually made by Sidi and similar to their courier boots- recently spotted Held make boots too, as the yard known for gloves more some vendors selling them off cheap. I got a pair of Held Seon at an incredible price- far lighter, very comfortable and very waterproof.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Got a pair of Alpinestars SMX6 WPs. Bloody brilliant in every respect.
Thanks Jeb.

Those would work nicely and Alpinestars fit me well, but I think they are a bit homely. Doser mentioned them earlier in the thread. They have been on my radar since I started looking and are easy to get in this country which is a huge plus if I need to return them. I may go ahead and pull the trigger on them, though, since it may be a while before I can afford the boots I really want. As a fair weather rider, it's rare that I need WP boots. BUT, when you need WP boots, you NEED them! Besides that, nobody is going to be looking at my boots, the bike gets all of the attention! :rolleyes:

Doser, decide on any boots yet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Deluth, you're welcome. You can buy the Strives from Germany to the UK for about £220, this from a site called fc-moto. I've had a few bits from them and they're brilliant, quick delivery, good returns policy, highly recommended.

You'll never be disappointed with the Alpinestars and sounds like they could be a whole lot easier to grab a hold of!

Whichever you go for, great shortlist. Each different from from each other but both awesome!

The Strives look really expensive in the US!

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
If you go for the Alpinestars, try them on first. I went from the SMX plus to the supertech R's.

Where the SMX's were very comfortable, the R's were far to narrow................. And buying them over the internet meant I was stuck with them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Gargy. It's looking like it might be after x-mas at this point. Business is slow and savings are dwindling. :(

I usually buy from either Revzilla or Motorcycle Superstore. Both are very easy when it comes to returns.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got a pair of Alpinestars SMX6 WPs. Bloody brilliant in every respect.
the Alpinestar SM-X6's fit me brilliantly ( sz 45), and the same is true of the 45 SMX Plus GTX. given our (wet ) weather, though, I need and want waterproof. but I also want breathable. don't you find the WP versions kinda hot and sweaty JEB?

and as a now-retired mountaineer ( for 35 years) , I lived thru the plastic boot era and was sooooo happy at the return of leather! and my buddy's SMX Pluses squeak...

long story short, that's what's driving me to leather GTX versions...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Doser, I find the WPs ok, not too sweaty. Mind you, I've only worn them for the last month or so; may be different when the weather gets warmer.... Know what you mean about plastic mountaineering boots. Ugh, never liked them. I have a pair of Scarpa Mantas in hydrophobic leather that whilst not for very high altitude, they're a true four season boot. Trudged through many a snow drift in them with feet remaining warm and dry! Anyways, I digress, many bike boots are synthetic leather these days aren't they. I've an old pair of Goretex TCX Explorers which are also synthetic, feet never got sweaty in them and I did wear them when the weather was warmer...

Only time will tell! :thumbup

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have a pair of Scarpa Mantas in hydrophobic leather that whilst not for very high altitude, they're a true four season boot. Trudged through many a snow drift in them with feet remaining warm and dry!
hey, I have a pair of those too, which I put many many pitches and a huge number of miles of approach on. excellent boots. had an earlier Scarpa too, the Weisshorn if I recall correctly. heavier, earlier technology, but frikkin awesome tough and stiff and comfy. I used to do a lot of winter waterfall ice climbing, and they were just 'the best' at providing a solid platform, keeping you warm, and being comfortable too. (what was the Scarpa plastic boot? the Vega? had those too. OK for cold / high altitude, but you couldn't really climb in them - not enough ankle flexibility...)

so JEB, you a climber? trekker? all-seasons hiker?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Did you ever get some Daytonas, Don?

I've decided to wait on WP boots and grab some new summer boots since mine are showing their age and the ball-sweating southern US weather is fast approaching. I think I will try the new Dainese Torque D1 air (out), supertech R, or SMX plus. The Daytonas look like they would be too hot in 95F weather and returning them, if needed, would be difficult/expensive. I'll pick up some SMX Plus gore-tex or something like that later for a WP boot. I ride in the rain less than five times a year, so WP isn't as big a deal as airflow for me.

I'm frustrated right now because I'm ready to buy and it seems like every boot I look at is out of the size/color I need/want. :mad:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I came close, Dylan. I discovered there was a pair of Road Star GTXs in size 44 at a dealer in Calgary. I had a talk with them, and they were completely cool with me ordering the boots, just as a 'fit' try on. cost me $15 postage each way, but I now know I do fit 44 in Daytona. ( for anyone else in similar sizing, I'm 45 in almost everything, but also 44 in BMW Allround.) the boots are everything I expected, and more. superb materials, perfect comfort, all 'functions' well thought out and executed. I wore 'em around the house for the evening and didn't want to take them off! I was sorely tempted, but in the end, they're $600 and that's 3 days on the road somewhere, so I passed. maybe if I win the lottery! they only order once a year from Daytona, so getting the Strive GTX for this season wasn't possible anyway.
beee- you- tee- full footwear!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm really liking the sidi mag 1. More of a track boot and not water proof but I do my best to stay out of the rain. I'm wanting to take a trip this summer and need a good pair of wp but I love these boots. There's a ton of adjustability and just about everything is replaceable, even the soles. There's a shop in Germany that has them affordablely priced. May have to get a pair of gortex socks.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I ended up getting the new Torque D1 Air boots. I already had Dainese boots, so I knew I would love them. Excellent boot in every way. (except waterproofness) I don't know how good the ventilation is yet because it's cold and rainy this week, but I'm expecting decent results. For you guys in the US or CA, If you don't have any fitment questions and don't expect needing to do a return, you can save a ton of money by buying Dainese stuff on Ebay. I bought mine from a seller in Germany and saved $100 over Revzilla, STG, MSS, etc. None of those sellers had them in stock at that time, anyways. I had to wait a week for the German seller to order the boots from Dainese, and I knew that before I bought them, but they beat the estimated time by one day and the actual shipping time was only 2 days! You can find similar deals on Dainese leathers from sellers all over Europe.

Now back to looking for a good waterproof boot.

Dainese_Torque_D1_Air_Out_Boots-Black-Anthracite_front_right_quarter_247319.jpg $_12.JPG

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
the resurrection of the 4-year old "Boots Boots Boots" thread led me back to the fact that I had never 'closed the circle' on my posting from about the same time about Daytona boots. so here we go...

despite the cost, in the spring of 2017 I bought a pair of size 44 Strive GTX from Helimot. In those days they were in Fremont CA - now they've moved to Sutherlin OR... but I presume most of their business is via the internet, so - in a way - no change.

I did couple track days on successive weekends in CA early that year - at Thunderhill and Laguna Seca - with 'riding' days between. I arranged for the boots to be delivered to our motel in Willows CA before our arrival, so I had them for that trip from day 1. they aren't really 'track boots', but I'm not really a 'track rider' - I'm a tourer. and they are just absolutely the most comfortable, yet 'secure', boots imaginable. the leather is thick and 'plush'. every stitch is accurate. all components are impeccable. imagine a Rolls Royce bank vault truck, and you're getting close...

right off, as soon as I was assured of proper sizing, I applied a bead of silicone to all the exposed stitching ( Aqua Seal, aka Seam Grip, is best). may years of experience with leather hiking and mountaineering boots had taught me that thread wear is the long-term enemy of longevity in footrwear, and prevention is simple and easy.

nearly 5 years ( and about 40,000 kms) have passed since then. the boots remain a delight to slip into every time. they suffered light damage in my 'big crash' with a deer later in the spring of 2017, and Helimot simply sent me replacement sliders, no charge. the only criticism that I could offer is that the Velcro on the back of the shaft could be a little more generous - I reckon I must have thinnish calves, cuz I've used up more than the available compression range. aside from that, comfy, waterproof, and secure. worth every penny!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Nice! I'm glad they worked out for you, Don.

I am still using the same Dianese boots for every day use. They are beat up looking on the outside, but everything works, nothing has let loose, and they are still comfortable. 👍

21 - 39 of 39 Posts